Struggling with Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same thing. I just couldn't start and stop so I would just increase the distance a little each time.
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    for some reason the time thing made it hard for me, so I altered the program for distance instead of time. instead of running for x number of seconds, I ran for a little bit further distance each time. I kept the pace very slow, and used that time to develop a good running style.

I can run 5 miles now.

• Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 (x4), then just moved onto week 2. The app is designed to work for the most amount of people, but doesn't work for everyone. I decided to move onto week 2 after week 1 no longer seemed like I was dying. Go at your own pace and decide to move along with the program when you feel ready. I'm using the app as a guide to start running, not necessarily to run a 5k. It's a good motivator.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    The hardest run I've ever done was the first minute of C25K. That's still true 2.5 years and three half marathons (and a lot of shorter races) later. It gets easier.

It may help not to think of C25K as ensuring that you can run 5k in 30 minutes, which is the impression some programs seem to give. C25K will just teach you to run for 30 minutes. I didn't finish my first 5k in that time--I took closer to 45 minutes. In fact, I still haven't achieved a 30 minute 5k.

The moral of the story: it's okay to go slow.

This. When I first did C25K, I was hung up on the 10 minute mile. I was running for quite some time before I could reach that goal. I also agree that the hardest part of running is the first half mile: the first half mile you ever run, and the first half mile of every run. That was true for me no matter how long my run was, and my longest was 15 miles -- sometimes I just had to push through those first 5 minutes before I began feeling like I could keep running.

So slow down and hang in there.
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    melonmoo91 wrote: »
    I have started doing couch to 5k but am finding it really difficult! I have already done week 1 twice now and still don't feel ready for week 2 I still am really struggling to run for 60 seconds! Any tips?

Have you completed week (1) but are just worried about week (2)? If you can you should move on. As said above a lot of it is all in your head. Focus on starting to run on the beep every time and set yourself some goal like "I can make it to that tree or post" or even " I'll walk in 10 more steps". It's all about pushing yourself a just little bit further every time.

If you can't complete the first week I'd suggest walking a little further and build up your endurance that way.

It is ok to go slow. "I maybe slow, but I'm passing everyone sitting on the couch!!"

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Use a HR monitor. Sometimes your head will trick you. Running feels weird now, but maybe you're ready to move on.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Don't run! I really love the couch to 5K program, but starting out inexperienced people running is crazy, and a prescription for failure. Walk rapidly instead. Walking rapidly is not a fail! In fact, walking is not a fail. Approach this a little bit more slowly. Eventually you will feel your body sort of urge you to run a little bit. It'll feel like the right thing to do. And it may be that when you get that feeling, you'll only be able to trot along for 10 or 15 seconds. That's OK! Run as far as you can comfortably, and then drop down to walking rapidly for the remainder of the Time. You'll pick up your pace. But you'll only pick up your pace if you are still getting on the road.

Slow down and treat yourself gently.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Running is a gait, not a speed. It's not just a faster version of walking (that's power walking), so it truly doesn't matter if your running speed is slower than your walking speed. You're practicing an entirely different skill. Slow down, be patient with yourself, and give yourself time to learn the new skill.

this this and this.

running is having both feet off the ground at the same time. It is not a speed. When I started couch to 5k I walked at around 3.8mph and ran at around 4.2mph. If you are struggling with maintaining the running portion then slow down. Maintain the gait of running, keep your steps beneath you and short if you have to to maintain that gait, and keep it slow. If you keep it slow you'll find that when you hit the 20 minute continuous run, you'll make it to the end of that run. Repeat weeks if necessary, but don't constantly repeat them - so for example if you are REALLY struggling maybe repeat week 1 twice, same with week 2, but then see if you can progress as the plan intends.

and go slower. Don't walk, run. Use your gait.
  • spartanhollis
    spartanhollis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have started doing couch to 5k but am finding it really difficult! I have already done week 1 twice now and still don't feel ready for week 2 I still am really struggling to run for 60 seconds! Any tips?

Keep going! Don't give up. Anything worth doing is going to take time. It takes a bit to build up your lung strength. I personally "sing" (or lip sync) during my run. Why don't you find a really jammin' tune and try a slow "trot" during it? That way you have a goal of finishing in whatever time the song lasts for. Good luck! I'm rooting for you!
  • kittiwakeh
    kittiwakeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Go slow then go even slower. What helps for me is to go slow enough I can talk easily but not sing. Sometimes it feels as if I am jogging on the spot and I am often running slower than I can walk (and can be overtaken by pedestrians walking on occasions). I find I run out off energy on those runs where my pace has increased but can go for much longer if I reduce the speed.

It may help working out what your pace is in the running sections. Pick one of your run routes and see how far you get from the point you start running till the point at which you start the walk segment. Now run the next part and make a conscious effort to really slow down, Again measure the distance travelled. If you managed to slow down then you shouldn't have travelled as far. Try deliberately running your running sections so you only go as far as you did at the slow pace and see if that helps.

I use the measure that if I can talk out loud happily but cant sing without gaps and gasps between the words then I am going at about the right pace.

Softer or uneven ground will definitely make the run tougher so again as it is more effort just slow down. When you get to a pavement or flat even ground the easier terrain will make it feel as if you are flying along.

If you like gadgets then you can get smart or sports watches / apps that can tell you your pace as you are running. I found the Garmin watch virtual pacer useful for this as it buzzed when I exceeded my target pace.

Why not try week two and see how you go. Even if you only manage half of the increased time segments then you have already exceeded your week 1 abilities.

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    If you keep it slow you'll find that when you hit the 20 minute continuous run, you'll make it to the end of that run.

This is true. I couldn't run at all when I started C25K. Running was a distant dream. I've been following the program, along with the advice to run slowly and I'm amazed by the results.

Today I completed Week 6 with a 22-minute run. And it wasn't that hard. Sure, I was relieved to hear the "you have one minute left" but I actually found the last run harder, which had 2 x 10-minute runs with a 3-minute walking interval.

• melonmoo91
    melonmoo91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just tried it along the road rather than the field and it was defo easier on my legs! I went mega slow! My run was slower than my walk but still about 30 second into first run i got a mega bad stitch and couldn't make it to the end of the 60 seconds!
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just tried it along the road rather than the field and it was defo easier on my legs! I went mega slow! My run was slower than my walk but still about 30 second into first run i got a mega bad stitch and couldn't make it to the end of the 60 seconds!

Stitches generally mean you are still running a bit too fast. Trust me you can run slower than you ever thought possible. I ran my first 5K in 48 minutes. I am pretty sure I could walk it faster however now 3 years later I can run a full 10K and my 5K runs come in under 32 minutes. I had to do the painfully slow runs for ages before my body adapted.

Your body is adapting on many levels. The intervals are teaching your body recovery and allowing you to find a pace you can complete the intervals in. Your body is adapting physically to the new strain and work that running puts on your body. Your lungs are adapting also. It's a lot of changes so be patient. I promise you that if you do the time that everything will fall into place.
  • kittiwakeh
    kittiwakeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The general recommendation is to exhale deeply when the foot on the opposite side to the stitch hits the ground. I have found exhaling deeply and holding that exhalation for a beat helps me - I have never thought to check which step I was doing that on though :-)

Try and make your breathing even and dont take shallow breaths. Also if you regularly get stitch have a look at what and when you are eating before your run.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats for getting off the couch and trying it.

1. Make sure that you are hydrated properly before running. Drink a bottle the night before and at least a cup of water in the morning or a while before running.

2. Make sure you stretch a little before and after running. A little bit of yoga or typical runner's stretches may make it easier on your muscles. A quick walk and then stretch while your muscles are warm is a good way to stretch. Stretching will help prevent injury.

3. I find it useful to "shake it out" while running. A lot of times we who are not used to running tend to run in a very cramped body position - strides are short, the body is tight. It's practically jogging in place. At some point when you start to feel stressed, slow down, lower your arms, roll your neck and shoulders, unclench your fists and shake your hands out. Basically stretch in the middle of running, to stay loose.

4. In addition to the advice given above about intervals, try to work on elongating your stride. A longer stride is a more efficient stride. One way to do that is to work on extending your arms further forward while you run, which also opens your leg stride commensurately.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I did my first run of week 2!! I almost collapsed in a heap on the floor by the end of it but i did it!!!

When you complete day 3 you'll wonder why day 1 felt so tough!

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I did my first run of week 2!! I almost collapsed in a heap on the floor by the end of it but i did it!!!

Good job!

• RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Well done! You might also want to check out the C25k group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k