Increasing the pace

I have been walking about 4 miles a day as my daily exercise. I get the rest of my 10k steps in regular day to day activity. I am now walking between 18 and 19 minute miles. My goal to average 18 minute miles. I am older so this will be a stretch, but am going to try. Will keep you posted.

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    first of all congratulations!!!

I'm 59 now and when I was 57 I could barely walk a mile in about 20 minutes. I started power walking and kept pushing it faster and longer. I can power walk up to 10 miles at about a 4.5 mph pace now, and can run up to 5 miles at close to a 5 mph pace.

Keep pushing yourself and you can do it too. Also make sure you get your doctors OK to do cardio.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Well done :)

If you are wanting to increase your speed look at doing intervals. I believe the C25k apps can be used for walking as well as running, you may find that useful.

If you are just using an all purpose trainer you may find it useful to get fitted for a pair of trainers specifically designed for waking- they have a heal strike area that curves giving your foot a better landing.

As you pick up your pace look at shortening your step a little. Sometimes using a regular strolling step when walking faster can cause problems like shin splints.

I am 63 and participate in 10km races. (My time is reasonable at about 90 min.) They help keep me speed walking- I can so easily be distracted by my surroundings and drop to a leasurly stroll. You may find entering a 5km race (walking) a good goal.

Cheers, h.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Try to find hills. Hills will increase your strength and make you faster on the flat.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Old ladies Rock it! A consistent 18 minute mile is totally doable. And, even faster than that is totally doable. But, stay comfortable. Also be sure that you stretch religiously after every workout. It's what's keeping my old joints happy. Blessings.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    If you walk with music, try putting some faster paced music on your ipod. Years ago I had a couple of tapes that were 4 and 4.5 mph walking tapes. It was easy to keep moving at that pace with the music. If I am talking to someone or just thinking my own thoughts, I slow down.