Kraft peanut butter or kraft all natural peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If you store the all natural peanut butter upside down, you wont need to stir in the oil as much as it will rise to the top (which is the bottom of the jar when upside down).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    If you store the all natural peanut butter upside down, you wont need to stir in the oil as much as it will rise to the top (which is the bottom of the jar when upside down).

I tried that for a while, but then the bottom of the jar is super oily. It seems easier to just dump some off, stir it and store in the fridge.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My main problem with the national brands of "All Natural" peanut butter is that they all seem to have palm oil in them which contributes to deforestation, especially critical orangutan habitats.

Smuckers is the exception.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    All natural has no salt or sugar. The calories are relatively the same so it depends what your goals are when deciding between the two. I prefer natural now that I'm used to it and I pour off the oil at the top and use it for stirfrys so it is a little satisfying knowing that my calories in is a tiny bit lower whenever I have toast with peanut butter.

I do this too! Even though there is no added oil, it still seems like too much oil to me when I stir it all in.

That's because the "added" oils typically are more solid at room temperature than peanut oil (more saturated fats), so the "peanut" butter is thicker and thus seems less oily.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Most major brands now offer a "natural" version that you don't need to stir. I assume it's a marketing gimmick, as the "Natural Jif Creamy" I'm holding in my hand lists ingredients: peanuts, sugar, palm oil, 2% or less of salt, molasses. Natural doesn't have any official meaning to it, so it can be randomly stuck on most anything!

The ingredients list on my kraft 'natural' peanut butter says peanuts...but I am in Canada so that might make a difference.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My main problem with the national brands of "All Natural" peanut butter is that they all seem to have palm oil in them which contributes to deforestation, especially critical orangutan habitats.

Smuckers is the exception.

Same reason for me.

I buy Meridian which just contains peanuts and salt.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Smucker's too (mine says it contains less than 1% salt in addition to peanuts).

I was very disappointed in the selection at my local Whole Foods--one brand was labeled as "peanut spread" instead of peanut butter--WTF is that???--and the other I tried had added sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I assume the palm oil comment above is tongue in cheek.

The term "all natural" is not regulated so it means whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean.

My observation is that all natural peanut butters have not been homogenized which means the natural peanut oil will separate at room temperature. I suggest you stir it in when you get home, keep it in the refrigerator and store it upside down.

If I don't stir the oil in I end up with a low fat brick of unspreadable peanut cement.

I just get regular homogenized peanut butter and not fuss.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't have an actual answer but I wanted to say that Kraft Peanut butter is one of the best parts about going to Canada!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I prefer the Smucker's too (mine says it contains less than 1% salt in addition to peanuts).

I was very disappointed in the selection at my local Whole Foods--one brand was labeled as "peanut spread" instead of peanut butter--WTF is that???--and the other I tried had added sugar.

According to FDA regulations, a product has to contain at least 90% peanuts to be labelled as peanut butter. I'm not averse to some of the yummy peanut butter spread products but they are most definitely not peanut butter.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    To me, natural means no added sugar or oils.

kraft-creamy-pb.png?w=396&h=329&crop&ssl=1

Agreed. This is the one I use; only peanuts and salt.

Does that Kraft one even taste like pb with all those different oils added? Sounds nasty :#

Edit: removed image :p
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Most major brands now offer a "natural" version that you don't need to stir. I assume it's a marketing gimmick, as the "Natural Jif Creamy" I'm holding in my hand lists ingredients: peanuts, sugar, palm oil, 2% or less of salt, molasses. Natural doesn't have any official meaning to it, so it can be randomly stuck on most anything!

They'd pretty much have to add some type of saturated fat or a stabilizing agent to make it not separate, though if you give it a good stir and store in the fridge it shouldn't separate.

Yep, palm oil. It doesn't need to be refrigerated and it doesn't separate. They just call it natural to get people who think that's important without knowing why will buy it based on the label.

yup. and who can really blame them? I'd pray on stupid too if I was in marketing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

They have several just peanuts ones at my WF, or at least did last time I looked at them, but beats me what the brands are (I'll have to look next time I go), since I greatly prefer almond butter (personally like almonds more than peanuts, no comment on healthiness).

I do need to check out the cashew ones.

Anyway, I imagine it's super easy to make with a food processor.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Generally, they are either the same thing with pseudo-health terms and re-worded ingredient names stamped on their container, or they didn't add emulsifying agents and you get to pay extra for the privilege of needing to stab your peanut butter a kazillion times before eating it. no thank you.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I usually buy the singles anyway...less risk of taking "just another spoonful" since you can very clearly see the serving size.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It comes down to your priorities. If you want no added salt or no added sugar then pick the ones with that option. If you don't mind the extras, pick what tastes best to you.

I personally prefer the taste and texture of kraft smooth and light peanut butter so I pick that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

They didn't have the 365 brand? That's what I get at Whole Foods.

dce7c30bc1f29925e0c580cde04621f6.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Looks like they've added sugar and a bit of palm oil to some of their options: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/about-our-products/product-faq/peanut-butter

Others do not have it.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I prefer the Adam's Brand. Ingredients - Peanuts.

http://www.adamspeanutbutter.com/product/natural-peanut-butter/creamy
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Generally speaking, the main difference is that regular peanut butter has had the peanut oil removed and replaced with a less expensive vegetable oil, and has a sweetener added. Often the replacement oil is also hydrogenated to keep it from separating. Natural peanut butter will retain the natural peanut oil -- which is why it separates -- and has no added sweeteners.