Running After Hip Arthroscopy

Hey folks, I had a hip arthroscopy end October last year.. pretty invasive, I was 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks.

I was running 7 miles + prior to needing the op and am now (slowly!) getting back into running using the C25k app. I absolutely love the freedom of it but also like to run to keep fit and burn calories lol ;)

I'm still very very stiff in that hip and getting the occasional "twinges" but so far so good :)
Just wondering if anyone else has had an arthroscopy and how long you left it before running again and also your progress etc?

Replies

• krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,812 Member
    I would follow the advice/protocols of your physiotherapist.
    I'm about to have knee arthroscopy (to sort out my torn meniscus and ruptured ACL). My current physio said my recovery and return to sport is dependent on following the aftercare protocols.

Good luck
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    I had a hip scope and still two years later, my running just feels different. My hip no longer gets the twinges and I really feel back to normal. Just maybe during my running, I favor the hip, without even knowing it, for fear of hurting it. If anything, ask your healthcare team. Maybe it needs more strengthening exercises and stretches, but you just want to be careful in whatever you do so you don't "undo" the surgery.
  • pippahgte
    pippahgte Posts: 10 Member
    Yes I know what you mean I'm the same with favouring the hip.. I'm also so used to having limped for 2 years before the scope that it's almost weird not doing that any more!
    I am being super careful and stretching very frequently but yes I will be cautious!

It is good to know that folk can get back to running after a scope though, there is hope! thank you ☺️
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    I did but I was very stupid after mine ☹️ I have a very high pain threshold & 6wks after my hip arthroscopy I felt so good that I ran Tough Mudder and then did a bungee jump a month later. Total idiot. 2yrs later my hip is totally wrecked and I can no longer run at all. I'm having tons of physio & acupuncture to relieve pain.

So my advice is to closely follow your rehab plan. Don't do too much to soon & back off immediately if you think something isn't right. X
  • pippahgte
    Omg you poor thing that sounds awful
  • pippahgte
    Ugh i just wrote a really long reply and it's disappeared!!!
    Are you thinking about possibly a hip replacement? that's my next step if it doesn't hold up over the bext few years
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Let me give you my background. I've had a double hip replacement about two years ago. Even though I was walking with a cane after a month and there was another month before I didn't need the cane it took me fully about a year to recover. I'm a big Tony Horton fan and in P90X he has a Plyometrics program which is jump training. It took me about 15 months after the surgery before I could do jump spins.

The most important thing you can do is talk to your orthopedic surgeon or physical therapist to discuss your condition. Everybody recovers at a different rate. Even though a lot of people provide feedback with good intentions please whatever you do don't listen to them. You don't want to do anything that can hurt yourself.
  • pippahgte
    Wow you've done really well!!
    I actually would rather have had a full hip replacement as my surgery was very invasive and has taken a lot of recovery time
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    I just had both of my hips replaced in the past year and I can't imagine running just yet. I don't plan on running again until I get to my pre operation running weight. I gained 70 pounds due to my hips making me sedentary for a year and a half.
  • pippahgte
    Both hips is a a lot to recover from!! I gained a stone last year from pre-op limping and struggling to walk then being incapacitated post-op. It's slowly coming off now though, half a stone gone so far