Tall women! Thoughts on sport and body weight

Options
Hey guys/gals

I recently started sorting my life out and so far I've lost 8.5kg. I recogn I need to get down to 75kgs but some people think this would be too low despite it being in the middle of the BMI range. I know BMI is notoriously useless but I honestly have no idea what would even be a good ballpark figure... as I'm 182.8cm and female.

So really like some advice/chat on my ideal body weight and body image - not just because of the above but because frankly I'm a bit of an uncommon size.
- and so I've struggled for years trying to work out how much I should eat/weigh because lets be honest not many of us girls are 6ft plus.

At my fittest I was 85Kg (county tennis) leaning towards power over endurance.
But despite this noone really seemed to know how to treat my body both play style wise and fitness training wise. Trying to train me like my 5'2 slight counter parts. And tbh left me with really awful body image/confidence issues.

I quit sport at 18 and then uni life and personal things happened and my weight creeped up to 113.4KG :O but thats getting under control and my MH is much better.

Anyways one of the things I've always found difficult is I can't keep to these 'female' guides talk because I just end up asleep or have no energy. So I decided to throw all the gender talk out and just focus on me CICO and things are much better. Now I do understand muscle to fat ratios and metabolic rate in males vs females- but atm I find it much more helpful to view myself like a smaller- average bloke and find the 'female stuff almost next to useless advice for me personally.

Anyway I wondering if anyone else out there has a similar POV and wants to share?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I am shorter than you at 173cm but was around the same start weight, BMI is fairly spot on however at your height and weight I am guessing you probably have a large frame size, this can render BMI slightly inaccurate, a good test for frame size is to pop your fore-finger and thumb around your wrist, if your thumb and finger meet you would be considered average frame size, if they don't it's considered large frame size, if you're in the large frame category you can add about 10% to the BMI weight range. With a large frame your mid-range would be around 79kg.

When you say female guides, what are you referring to? Are you referring to the 2000 calorie per day thing, because that is based on an average height, average weight female, not a tall heavy women. Your own TDEE at sedentary will be much higher, around 2400. Meaning you could lose 1lb per week on 1900 calories & eat back exercise calories.

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm 177cm and small framed (wrist <6inches) and weigh about 67kg (100kg to start). It puts me at around a 21.5 BMI but once I hit the 'healthy BMI' range I stopped paying attention to it and go by how I look/feel. Being leaner is just a byproduct of my kickboxing so don't feel like you have to be 'small'. It's just hard to be super muscular/heavy when you're training full body cardio on the regular.

When it comes to training, that's all about personal preference. If you love sports, why not try and get back into them? Resistance training can come in the form of lifting weights or bodyweight exercises. What do you want to get out of your body? When you figure that out you can build a programme around that.

Throw out the female guides though. Things like Kayla Itsines aren't made for tall women. They aren't even made for average women. 1200 cals is less than most women would need in a coma, let alone up and moving, and especially not working out. https://tdeecalculator.net/ will help you figure out what you need to be eating and guide* you on macros if that's something you want to pursue. (*personally I find that the fat can be a bit high for MC/LC)

At the end of the day, it's your body and you have to feel happy with it and a number on a scale won't make you happy. Hitting fitness goals though, that's great. :smiley:
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm American, so I had to do some conversions, but I think I can add to this.

I'm 38 years old, 5'11 (so 180.3cm) and tend to be happy around 150-155lbs (68kg to 70.3kg). BUT, because of my height I can pull off up to 170lbs (77kg) without people even noticing. I tend to not notice weight gain unless it's over 10lbs (4.5kg). I'm currently about 163lbs (74kg) trying to get back to 155lbs (70.3kg) after a winter of not watching or being very active. At 155lbs (70.3kg) BMI 21, I wear a 6-8 US women's sizes and I'm very comfortable.

I started in 2011 at 193lbs (87.3kg). I was heavy - pushing a size 16 in the US. BMI of 27. During weight loss, I never ate less than 1500 calories (usually around 1700), even if weight loss was slow. I'm tall, I'm active and I get very hangry if I don't eat regularly. The closer I got to 68kg, weight loss became easy and decided to keep going. I got to 142lbs (64kg) before my Boyfriend told me I needed to stop. I think if I had been younger (early 20's) I could have pulled off the lower weight. At 33 years old, I looked sick. And the extra weight helped keep me strong and active. And much warmer. I was soooo cold all the time at 142 (64kg).

Honestly, I think all women need to find there "sweet spot" when it comes to weight. We won't all want to be model thin. And we will all be built differently. So, my advice for you is to lose weight slowly until you are happy with your preformance and how you look.
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9.5" and I started at 252 ish 8 weeks postpartum. I am down to 191 but my first goal weight is 178....I'd like to eventually get down to 168-173 ish
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Like @kristen8000 I am 180.3 cm. At my heaviest I was 230-35 and a size 18. I'm always amazed at how people carry weight differently, as she was only 193 lbs and size 16. Currently weighing in at 177 (80.45 kg) size 10.

I too always had a tough time comparing myself and my sports to women who were only 5'2'' to average height.

Rowing crew is supposed to be advantageous to taller women.
    Ideal Height And Weight for Women. U.S. Rowing reports that the average woman rower is approximately 6 feet. A review of the 2013 U.S. Senior National Team shows that the female open rowers range between 5 feet 4 inches to 6 feet 3 inches, with weight between 110 and 185 pounds. livestrong.com/
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lbs
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    So after conversion I am 177.8cm and 58.9kg- as a distance runner this is pretty par for the course imo (purely anecdotal but I have also found that taller women also seem to pull better times- likely a stride length advantage). But I can relate to the feeling of comparing myself to the petite women in the sport. It's a losing battle though, I'm never going to be 5' tall you know?

What is your reference to female "guides" about? Calorie guidelines? Exercise recommendations? I echo the PP'S suggesting going back to your roots if you love tennis!

• Offshot1st
    Offshot1st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey girls, cheers for the responses!

This has had me much reassured that this wasnt just 'my perception' but actually something other people have found to, especially with attitudes.
    Like why get someone with a 34" leg doing little steps to get across the court... (yes 2 or 3 nearer the shot itself obvs) and that idea that we all have to conform to the same play style etc.

I remember us getting weighed for fitness tests at 14 etc and it made me terrified of the scales for a long time. And it shouldnt have done
    Its the same kind of mental comparison people do at dinner. "Why is this girl eating so much" "not ladylike" despite it being necessary for your build. It can make you feeling bad about yourself when your a teenager idk if anyone relates? I dont care now but at 14 I did. Oh boy I wish I knew then what I do now!!

Yeah I'm aware of my BMR and things like that - but I think unless you have some sort of sport knowledge alot of the infomation out there is really miss leading. 2000 for most women (as realisitically most women don't exerise regularly) would actually make them gain weight...
    I tried 1200 at the start just to see if I could- when I wasnt working out (so add on exercise calories)- and although it worked giving me a kickstart. I wont be doing it again. Increasing my protein has really helped in general sticking to things though.
    I havent ventured much into macros in detail but I will probably do if I get stuck or plateau

Tbh I miss team sport like football and hockey more than I miss tennis -the singles circuit wasn't for me so I cant imagine going back to it - too much water under the bridge. Which is a shame really. Maybe other people feel like that about a certain competitive sport?

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Offshot1st wrote: »
    Hey girls, cheers for the responses!

This has had me much reassured that this wasnt just 'my perception' but actually something other people have found to, especially with attitudes.
    Like why get someone with a 34" leg doing little steps to get across the court... (yes 2 or 3 nearer the shot itself obvs) and that idea that we all have to conform to the same play style etc.

I remember us getting weighed for fitness tests at 14 etc and it made me terrified of the scales for a long time. And it shouldnt have done
    Its the same kind of mental comparison people do at dinner. "Why is this girl eating so much" "not ladylike" despite it being necessary for your build. It can make you feeling bad about yourself when your a teenager idk if anyone relates? I dont care now but at 14 I did. Oh boy I wish I knew then what I do now!!

Yeah I'm aware of my BMR and things like that - but I think unless you have some sort of sport knowledge alot of the infomation out there is really miss leading. 2000 for most women (as realisitically most women don't exerise regularly) would actually make them gain weight...
    I tried 1200 at the start just to see if I could- when I wasnt working out (so add on exercise calories)- and although it worked giving me a kickstart. I wont be doing it again. Increasing my protein has really helped in general sticking to things though.
    I havent ventured much into macros in detail but I will probably do if I get stuck or plateau

Tbh I miss team sport like football and hockey more than I miss tennis -the singles circuit wasn't for me so I cant imagine going back to it - too much water under the bridge. Which is a shame really. Maybe other people feel like that about a certain competitive sport?

I definitely feel you about being weighed in comparison to other girls as a teenager. Not one adult ever thought to say 'you're taller it's natural you'll weigh more'. I've overcome two EDs (as systematic control rather than negative body image) and was pretty thin for most of my teens because of it, so I never really struggled in that respect. Other than the usual 'I AM ENORMOUS' because I was taller than 5'4.

When it comes to macros, I didn't start until I hit about 68kg and I was just curious as to what it could do for me. It's hard work sticking to them and definitely too much to worry about when you're just starting out. Eat less move more is the number one goal.

I wish I was better at team sports. I just get so uncomfortable because as a sufferer of exercised induced asthma you generally get picked last and it creates a complex. XD I must say though, I don't exactly enjoy the scrutiny that being a singular individual gives. teams win and lose together. if you're crap on your own that's your own fault. What sport do you plan on picking up then?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'7" so do not consider myself tall, but I do have a large frame. I tried 1200 calories and lasted until lunch. In middle and high school, I was picked on for my big feet and calves. However, after I'd been practicing yoga for a while, I realized my big feet were an asset for balancing poses.

For decades I wasted time lifting weights with the idea that women should do low weight and high reps. Thanks to this forum and a coworker, I started doing low reps/high weight and like this way better. I borrowed The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess from my library system, and bought the more recent book, "Strong."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    In case anyone else was wondering:

182.8 centimeters is 6 feet tall.
    75 kgs is 165 pounds (goal weight)
    85 kg is 187 pounds (tennis weight)
    113.4 kgs is 250 pounds (highest weight)
    8.5 kg is 19 pounds (recently lost weight)

@Offshot1st please correct if wrong.

Are you thinking of picking tennis back up? Your height and wingspan certainly gives you a great advantage there! What about volleyball?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    triathlon has a category for men/women are weigh more (no height restrictions) - so for women, more than 165lbs you can opt to race Athena or age group because they acknowledge that the heavily you are, the more energy it takes to move a body
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 178cm (5'10) and currently 86kg( 189lbs) which looks like this. I want to lose about 11kg (24lbs) to be at my goal weight. I'm a hourglass shape,so I think it also depends where your extra fat is stored. I've lost 50lbs now and quite happy with my upper body, but my bum and thighs have a long way ahead :# I do weights and cardio.
    qwu4abu99kwc.jpg

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    These issues don't just apply to tall women. I am 5'6 (168 cm), weigh 120 lbs (54.5 kg). I eat approximately 2700-3000 calories a day. I am very active and I train hard. I used to be competitive in adventure racing, running, biking and skiing. With most sports I have always trained with the boys. Now I am a stay at home mom with a 17 month old and mainly do kettle bell workout, cycling and occasional running. I'm happy to not be competing anymore because I found it quite stressful. The amount that I eat has always been commented on and scrutinized to a point that in high school I started eating less just to fit in and dropped to weights of 90-100 lbs (40-45 kg). Even to this day i try to find examples of women who eat like me because i still feel very self conscious about it, but it is hard to find.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I find that internalizing an "athletic" identity has helped tremendously in removing my feelings of being too big or not feminine. I'm 5'10", and currently weigh 191 lbs (US size 12/14). My goal is 171, because that'll give me the bodyfat percentage I'm after for racing performance.

I no longer daydream about being petite. Or dainty. Or even just average size. I'm reveling in my strength and my athletic performance. I dream about getting onto the competitive masters rowing team, and breaking my 5k run personal best time. I probably eat more than other women, but I have a lot more mass (even counting only lean mass) to fuel. I don't socialize with women who would ever comment or judge me based on that. My friends are also athletic and/or have a true understanding of what a healthy eating pattern looks like.

As an aside, I just today bought a book called "Racing Weight," which is about weight management for athletes.
  • sarajstrong
    sarajstrong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dear lord, gymprincess1234, I wish I had your body composition! You look great!

I was a rower in college. First time I felt at home in terms of my size. I'm 5'11" and my vanity ideal weight is around 155 lbs, though, honestly, I'm pretty happy in the 160-165 range, too.

I put on a lot of weight due to a health crisis and am now working my way back down from 185. I'm also trying to retrain my brain to care less about lbs and more about inches, clothing fit, and functional strength in real life (like carrying groceries up the stairs). People still say I look athletic, but I had to buy all new clothes, so I know this isn't a healthy weight for me.

Interestingly, the comments above about weight distribution are so interesting: I'm at 182 now and definitely am almost in a 16. It's all in my hips!
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    @sarajstrong Aw, thank you!

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm just shy of your your height by maybe a centimeter. My high weight that I measured was 215 lbs (95 kg). Last year I got down to 64.8 kg. I loved how I looked (see profile pic). I would love to get to 63-64 kg and maintain. Right now I'm at 77 kg and my athletic performance has greatly suffered from where I was at my low weight. My training = high-intensity dance (lindy hop).

Have you seen MyBodyGallery.com? You can enter different heights and weights and see how people look at different weights. It really helped me see what I wanted to be.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I'm right at your height (188 cm). When I got over 92ish kg was when I started noticing that I was a bit chunky. I got up to about 100 kg before I decided to bother doing something about it - even then, I didn't feel much of a sense of urgency. At around 84 kg I had people telling me "if you lose any more weight, you'll blow away!"

I'm now under 80 kg and still keeping a deficit, for now. I have no idea what my ideal weight is. Still a n00b at training, so I'd love any pointers from fellow tall women!
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    @deannalfisher where I am from its called "Athena" category and the weight minimum is usually 150-160 lbs, but no height requirement.