1200 calories a day

Options
Rklopf
Rklopf Posts: 6 Member
Hey everyone, I'm currently on a 1200 ca/day diet--- which has helped me lose a lot of weight (along with weight training/cardio and drinking lots of water). Usually I'm pretty good about making the most of those calories by eating fruits/vegetables, high fiber/protein, and making sure it can sustain me throughout the day.

For those of you also limiting your calories, would you mind sharing some of the food that you find help fills you up without being loaded with calories? I need to expand my menu ;)

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, I hit my goal in early July, but before that I was on 1200 a day. Pretty much if I wanted it bad enough, I went to the gym and earned it.
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary :)
  • AJDistel
    AJDistel Posts: 93
    Options
    Biggest loser cookbook has lots of yummy recipes that are really low in calories. You can also find some of their recipes online for free.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I love the Thomas Light english muffins. 100 calories for 1 muffin plus a bunch of fiber. I also love Chavire chevre cheese. I don't eat cow milk (gives me acne) but small amounts of goat milk seem okay and this cheese is only 50 calories for 2TBS. It really helps the "fat" cravings.
  • carmendick
    Options
    Lean Cuisines have been fantastic so far! Never having enough time to sit and actually eat a meal (I have a 13 month old) also helps. Smart Ones aren't so bad, although LCs seem to have a better flavor. Lunch meat (Boar's Head has a pamphlet at the store with all the calories, fat, etc.) on whole wheat bread, lots and lots and lots of water. Diet Arizona Lemon Flavor Iced Tea has zero calories, zero sugars... Whenever I do splurge, I make sure it's worth it, and do extra cardio/weight training to counter it. Such a pain, but hey, the end result is totally worth it!!!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bumping this one...great post! lol
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Jell-O with fat free whipped topping!

Quaker Chewy granola bars

Nature's Valley Sweet and Salty Almond granola bars

Tillapia with lemon juice (instead of butter or wine)

Pork Chops with Shake and Bake (Parmesan flavor) the Shake and Bake only has like 35 calories or something like that as opposed to other breading which is much higher.

Propel ZERO

Vitamin water ZERO

Pepperidge farm 7 grain 45 calorie bread (BEST INVESTMENT EVER... I love bread!)

Luigi's italian ice cups ( 100 calories per cup- however, there are low fat ones that are not that great!)

Lay's light potato chips ( 75 calories for 20 chips)

Strawberries sprinkled with Truvia (very low and very delicious!)

Rice pudding snack packs (the low calorie ones)

Check out my diary, I have lots of stuff on there that I use. I do a lot of things the same every day because I just get addicted to the stuff and can't stop. I hope this helped you out at least a little bit! Good luck on your journey. 1200 calories gets easier as you learn the low calorie foods that there are to help you along the way! Request me as a friend if you would like some motivation :)
  • Mswalker81
    Mswalker81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bananas and string cheese combo or baby carrots and danon yogurt are my snacks of choice.
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame is low calorie, high protein and fiber and is a good sub for nuts
    PB2 is a great alternative to peanut butter (and better ingredients too!) with only 45 calories for 2 tbsp instead of 200 with regular peanut butter
    Walden Farms has an entire line of calorie free dressings and condiments, including chocolate and pancake syrup
    Berries are low calorie, low sugar, and high antioxidant
  • carmendick
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is great, too!!! Most of time we aren't actually hungry, but thirsty!!! So drinks LOTS of water, as it helps your body burn the fat!!!
  • TyHobbit
    TyHobbit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually sometimes will have a hard times getting "enough" calories (at least that's what my trainer thinks), yet I don't get hungry all that often. Most formulas say I should be getting about 2,400 a day, but I usually only do between 1800 to 2000. I'm sure that's actually better, but it just seams funny that I have the opposite problem now.

My wife and I use a nutritious meal replacement shake. We have one for breakfast, then a good snack, then another for lunch, another decent snack, and a good meal.

If you go with a shake replacement just make sure you do your homework. There are a head-spinning array of choices out there, and not all shakes are created equally. Make sure you choose one that fills your body with lots of extra nutrients that your body will need that it usually gets from food.
  • lbgano
    Options
    Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame is low calorie, high protein and fiber and is a good sub for nuts
    PB2 is a great alternative to peanut butter (and better ingredients too!) with only 45 calories for 2 tbsp instead of 200 with regular peanut butter
    Walden Farms has an entire line of calorie free dressings and condiments, including chocolate and pancake syrup
    Berries are low calorie, low sugar, and high antioxidant

What is PB2?
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    http://www6.netrition.com/bell_plantation_pb2.html

PB2 is basically a powdered peanut butter. They press the peanut to remove the fat and oil, resulting in a product with only about 1.5 grams of fat per serving. It comes in regular and chocolate. You mix equal parts powder and water when you are ready to use it. The chocolate is amazing, and I sometimes find myself eating it dry! The regular flavor tastes exactly like peanut butter, and even my picky husband eats it!
  • Rklopf
    Rklopf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone!
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Also at 1200 calories per day and would LOVE more 1200 calorie friends!

My life savers are Thomas' 1/3 Fiber English muffins- 8 grams of fiber and only 100 calories.
    and Arnold's Sandwich thins- they're lower in fiber though.
  • lbgano
    Options
    http://www6.netrition.com/bell_plantation_pb2.html

PB2 is basically a powdered peanut butter. They press the peanut to remove the fat and oil, resulting in a product with only about 1.5 grams of fat per serving. It comes in regular and chocolate. You mix equal parts powder and water when you are ready to use it. The chocolate is amazing, and I sometimes find myself eating it dry! The regular flavor tastes exactly like peanut butter, and even my picky husband eats it!

Thanks!!!
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I put 4 egg whites in a cup and stir in some veggies, usually shredded zucchini, onion and mushrooms. Spread it out in a non stick skillet, cover, and cook on medium low for about 10 minutes. When it's solid I cut it in half, add sliced tomatoes and fat free cream cheese to one side and cover it with the other side. Heat through and eat. Usually comes in at around 200 calories and no fat. Plus it's a huge pile of food.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1260 a day diet and barely squeak by, but I try to make it count. I treat myself to a skinny cow every evening. It's almost the first thing in the log in the morning. My favorites to keep me full all day:
    Mini pretzels (snyders are awesome)
    nonfat yogurts
    apples
    bananas
    various types of salad greens
    a meat (because it's more filling)
    Oatmeal to go bars (though they are a little high in calories)
    cheerios
    peanut butter for my apples and bananas