Whole body vibration machine?

Friend is considering buying one of these. I checked reviews and some say it actually helps with toning, injuries and weight loss. Others say there's no science behind it. I'm inclined to say it's a gimmick but wondering if anyone out there has any experience with using one?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Tell your friend to save his\her money.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Here's what Mayo Clinic says: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/whole-body-vibration/faq-20057958

There's no way a full body machine can do for you what cardio and strength training do. Here's a more in-depth article that quotes a study.. on mice: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2017/03/19/study-whole-body-vibration-may-reduce-weight-like-running-on-a-treadmill-but/#719f03f263ee
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    They have one at one of my gyms and also at my physical therapist office. Last year they had a rep at Costco. I've only ever used them to stretch out on and that's just cause it's there. If she's buying it because of the toning and weight loss claim try and get her to save her money!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,918 Member
    I have vast experience with them after working in a Wellness Center for a few years.

REHAB, yes.

Weight loss, no. Weight loss is more dependent on what you consume and how much you burn. CICO.

Strength training, maybe. We had the commercial version and when combined with some strength training, it help to activate more muscle fibers in some.

Would NOT spend any money on a home version. To me they are nothing more than an expensive clothes hanger.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • denisezacharia
    denisezacharia Posts: 2 Member
    I have never heard of vibration machines while living on the east coast. My work brought me to the west coast where they seem to be more popular. The company i work for has them at their facilities and I was curious about them and if they were worth all the hype that they boasted. And the more I researched, the more research i found that says its not worth it. For circulation, i have personally seen improvement. For core strength or weight loss, i have not seen nor read anything that proves a vibration machine works. I would agree with the other post and tell your friend to save the money.
  • denisezacharia
    denisezacharia Posts: 2 Member
    Altho, i have sat on a chair and put my feet on the machine for a quick foot massage- that felt really good. But again, it boils down to a very expensive foot massager. :wink: