Help with activity level.

Options
I work a full time job 40+ hours a week in sales so I'm always on my feet walking around. I go to the gym everyday aside from Sunday. I want to make sure I'm getting enough calories and not shorting myself too much. Would I be considered lightly active or active based off of this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Start with lightly active, eat that much plus a portion of your exercise calories (which aren't included in MFP's activity level), and bump up if you lose more than expected over the next 4-6 weeks.
  • LJCVSR
    LJCVSR Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do mostly weight lifting so when I try to log it it's not giving me any extra calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    LJCVSR wrote: »
    I do mostly weight lifting so when I try to log it it's not giving me any extra calories.

Search for "strength training" under the cardio section to get a burn estimation
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LJCVSR wrote: »
    I work a full time job 40+ hours a week in sales so I'm always on my feet walking around. I go to the gym everyday aside from Sunday. I want to make sure I'm getting enough calories and not shorting myself too much. Would I be considered lightly active or active based off of this?

If you don't want to get an activity tracker, you can always pick up a cheap Omron or other similar pedometer for around $5-$10. If you get more than 10,000 steps everyday, than you are probably safe going with the active setting.

If you are logging everything and are not losing weight after a month at the active setting, then, switch to lightly active. It's not really an exact science unfortunately. But, if you keep good records of what you ate, you can deduce the answer from that and the results on the scale.
  • LJCVSR
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm definitely losing weight the issue is I'm feeling beyond dead like more than usual since I've started this tracker. (usually there for 2 hours 1 hour lift 1 hour cardio) I work sales and I make over 10000 steps before even considering the gym so am I better off setting it to active?
  • LJCVSR
    Options
    Also I'm 6 foot 254 pounds currently most def overweight
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6" tall, walk between 12k-15k steps per day and eat around 2300 calories per day to lose at a rate that indicates a 750 calorie deficit everyday. I shudder to think how big my deficit was when I was trying to eat like 1400 calories per day.

I'm set to active with a deficit of 1000 calories which ends up being 750 calories actual on the scale.

I would go ahead and set to active and then tweak as needed. I personally decided I would rather take a bit over a year to lose the weight and not be starving or tired or grouchy the whole time. :)
  • LJCVSR
    Options
    Let me also add I just started going to the gym 3 weeks ago