Survived that first dreaded fast food situation!

Options
Poisonedpawn78
Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
So I am sure everyone or at least most people on here have had that first dreaded situation. You have started on MFP to be good, you do your best and log and stick to the plan. THEN It happens.

I drove my elderly father to the doctors today. Afterwards it just happened to line up perfectly with lunch time and of course he suggests we get some food. How can you say no?? His suggestion... a fast food burger joint in Canada called Harvey's. OH BOY was the first thing i thought in my head. This is one of those places that doesnt have very healthy options. But instead of refusing, I took it as a test.

He orders a cheeseburger and fries and pepsi and hot dog on the side, loads them up with every topping possible. My Turn ... I order just a regular burger and put only 4 toppings on. No fries. No drink. 446 calories for me for lunch. well within my daily goals. Naturally i got the "what no drink and fries?" comment but i let it slide saying I didnt feel like having them.

I PASSED. I walked into the den of evil and survived another day.

PHEW. It might only be a small victory, but its a meaningful one for me.

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's so tempting! Every step makes you stronger!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey, that's awesome! Way to go!
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one!! It may seem small to some, but HUGE to others!!

Similar situation reared it's nasty head at me not long ago....5 Guys burger joint here in the US. Hubby orders a double bacon cheese burger, kiddo gets a grilled cheese and an order of fries. I get the "Veggie" burger (grilled mushrooms, onions, peppers, and what ever other veggies you want to add, Cheese (if you choose). Hubby "really?! We come to a burger place and you get that?!?"

Yes. It is the better choice for me right now. Are you eating it? No? oh ok then...Pay the bill LOL I also, in making said choice, got to enjoy some fries :)

You keep doing you and don't let anyone mess with it!!! He is now looking out for me and will ask if it is a day I feel like salad or something healthy and will base his restaurant of choice on the quality of the salad or other healthy food option for me. :) they will come around. YOU GOT THIS!

5 Guys is the devil. Lol. I don't think I would have had your willpower. I love their burgers.

In the last 3 months the only fast food joint I have been in is Bojangles and I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and a water. No fries. I used to eat one of their chicken biscuit about every other day and now I don't even miss it anymore. It really helps that my wife is on MFP also. Everyone keep up the good work.
  • Crackertime
    Crackertime Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Checkmate! Good at ya! Several fast food restaurants have the calories counts on the drive-thru's. I didn't pay a lot of attention to them before. It's been helpful to me to not add-on impulse calories.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes small victories are the most important ones! Congrats on your willpower; it's not always easy, especially when you're out with others!
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Fries are the hardest for me. I can pass on sweets ANY time, but fries are too good! Good job! Plus a little junky meal helps to not feel deprived, but to also feel like you are in control in a healthy way. You did great.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nice! That is how it is done!
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good work! I love fries but I've decided they're not worth the calorie intake. My work office is literally above a McDonalds and I have to fight the urge every day with my colleagues going down together and coming back up with all the nuggets and cheeseburgers. I've gone 2 weeks without giving in so here's hoping I can keep it up!
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Similar situation reared it's nasty head at me not long ago....5 Guys burger joint here in the US. Hubby orders a double bacon cheese burger, kiddo gets a grilled cheese and an order of fries. I get the "Veggie" burger (grilled mushrooms, onions, peppers, and what ever other veggies you want to add, Cheese (if you choose). Hubby "really?! We come to a burger place and you get that?!?"

Yes. It is the better choice for me right now. Are you eating it? No? oh ok then...Pay the bill LOL I also, in making said choice, got to enjoy some fries :)

You keep doing you and don't let anyone mess with it!!! He is now looking out for me and will ask if it is a day I feel like salad or something healthy and will base his restaurant of choice on the quality of the salad or other healthy food option for me. :) they will come around. YOU GOT THIS!

5 Guys is the devil. Lol. I don't think I would have had your willpower. I love their burgers.

In the last 3 months the only fast food joint I have been in is Bojangles and I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and a water. No fries. I used to eat one of their chicken biscuit about every other day and now I don't even miss it anymore. It really helps that my wife is on MFP also. Everyone keep up the good work.

I went to five guys for the first time when visiting family. Did not know about the place as it was brand new to the area. Of course I stared at the menu like a deer in the headlights looking for the healthiest option and picked the veggie sandwich with nothing on it. I felt pretty proud but boy did the burgers smell good at the time. It gets easier every time.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Melionfire wrote: »

I went to five guys for the first time when visiting family. Did not know about the place as it was brand new to the area. Of course I stared at the menu like a deer in the headlights looking for the healthiest option and picked the veggie sandwich with nothing on it. I felt pretty proud but boy did the burgers smell good at the time. It gets easier every time.

No way am I going to Five Guys and NOT getting a burger! I'll live with the consequences :tongue:
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Great job op, willpower!
  • roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That's great will power! Every once in a while the kids want a HappyMeal, when I order I get the grilled artisan chicken sandwich with no sauce, no fries, and a large iced tea. I'm sorta not in love with their burgers. However, five guys is tough. I think I would just get a kids/small burger and deal with the higher calories/sweat a little more/eat a little less at other meals/no snack. I feel like Eating out at restaurants can be much more tricky because of portion sizes and like free bread/chips.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!