Body Confidence

Options
amy93w
amy93w Posts: 13 Member
Hey guys, so I have just recently started my weight loss journey around 1 month ago. I haven't much to lose, around 20 lbs in total and lost 4 pounds already.
My problem is my confidence in myself in how I look. I've started exercising more recently and found fun ways to exercise like hula hooping! And I asked my boyfriend to video me (to show my mum, I thought it was cool I'd learnt how to do it for ages at a time) anyway when I watch the video back, I was horrified at how I looked in a crop top and leggings. I kept re watching and couldn't believe how 'fat' I looked and now I feel a bit emotionally deflated.
It's partly made me want to do even better with my weight loss, but at the same time I now feel really fed up.
Any tips on how to gain self esteem and start trying to love my body.. or will I just feel better when im all toned up? Help!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping?

Go get yourself some nice clothes. Try a consignment shop if money is an issue. But most important. Get a good fit. Pay for alterations if necessary. Do whatever else you have to do to look your best. It doesn't take a perfect body to look good in properly tailored clothes.

Then get a picture like that.

My experience- I went from dressing like an unmade bed to the best dressed guy in my office. I've lost 100+lbs. Bought my first new suit after losing about 25 lbs. Good fit. 100% improvement over the old me. Changed my life. Once I saw myself like that, I wanted more. You can start looking your best now. Once you start, never stop.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    We are our own worse critics aren't we. With about 20lb to lose I doubt you would look as fat as you think you do.

If you haven't exercised extensively to date, why not start walking or swimming, and if you have the opportunity do some weights, you can do home weights there are plenty of free programs on the web. Get out and about, get busy, start looking at yourself in the mirror, love you regardless of what you think you see, and know that your confidence and self esteem will improve
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That is sort of the curse of being aware of your body and your progress. Before I really started focusing on getting myself in-shape I never really obsessed over my body or how I looked. Once I started to lose weight and look better I am starting to nitpick every little thing. I try to not obsess about it but sometimes I can't help it. What you are experiencing is just part of the process, something we all go through but always remind yourself of the progress you have made and stay consistent. Goodluck!
  • tiabernagozzi
    tiabernagozzi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always do this!! I have 20-30lbs to lose and every time I see a video of myself or even a picture, I immediately judge how "fat" I look. It's so awesome you're hula hooping, it's so much fun! If you want to look more toned, weights(even your body weight) is the way to go! I think it's important to love yourself and your body first-- if not yourself, who are you doing this for?
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pictures are good motivators to me. Saw my picture after my sister college grad and knew it was time to get back at it. See pics from years ago and those are worse looking lol.

Hopefully I will be happy with them when I reach my goal but even a minor difference makes me happy usually. Even just a muscle peaking out that isn't in the old pics.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    That is sort of the curse of being aware of your body and your progress. Before I really started focusing on getting myself in-shape I never really obsessed over my body or how I looked. Once I started to lose weight and look better I am starting to nitpick every little thing. I try to not obsess about it but sometimes I can't help it. What you are experiencing is just part of the process, something we all go through but always remind yourself of the progress you have made and stay consistent. Goodluck!

This is very true! I didn't spend much time thinking about my body or how it looked when I was obese. Now I nitpick and have worse body confidence even though I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. Focusing on goals other than looks helps, especially "what I can do" type goals such as weight lifted, distance walked, etc.
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't like how I look in pictures either but I always tell myself "I WILL look better. All it takes is consistency. If I keep working hard I'll get what I want eventually. Quitting has never gotten anyone closer to their goal."
    I wish you all the best of luck on your journeys. May we all love ourselves a little more every day :)<3
  • foodhasfeelingstoo
    foodhasfeelingstoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like to focus on the fact that I'm doing something good for my body. Reminding me that I achieved my calorie/exercise goal for the day and trusting the process. After all, healthy body, healthy mind, right?
  • amy93w
    amy93w Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We are our own worse critics aren't we. With about 20lb to lose I doubt you would look as fat as you think you do.

If you haven't exercised extensively to date, why not start walking or swimming, and if you have the opportunity do some weights, you can do home weights there are plenty of free programs on the web. Get out and about, get busy, start looking at yourself in the mirror, love you regardless of what you think you see, and know that your confidence and self esteem will improve

Thank you for all your help and advice, didn't expect as much as never posted on the forums before :smiley:
    I have always walked a lot as I walk to work and back 25 mins each way- plus walking my dog for an hour at night. it was always food that was the problem but now I'm changing that and I am noticing a difference!
    I am also running as well as walking at lunch time and hula hooping lol.

I think it will take me time to get my confidence back. I like the idea of focusing on non-appearance based goals, I will try that! I want to improve my endurance in running and see if I can get to doing races maybe a 10k first.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! I definitely need to get some new clothes too, I either cover myself up completely, or wear tops that don't exactly 'flatter' my mid section :neutral: Thanks guys