2 week guest-need ideas, lots of cooking involved.

Options
We have a friend that comes every year for 2 weeks.

We live in the country and he comes and helps out around the place and in exchange I feed him and beer him while he hangs with my hubby.

They work up quite an appetite and I usually end up putting on a few pounds every year because the sorts of foods I have on hand are starchy and filling in order to stay affordable and easy.

Like pasta. casseroles and things like that.

I would really like to get through his visit this year without a gain.

Any suggestions for how to feed a bunch of hungry guys for 2 weeks, not spend a fortune and stay on track?

Replies

• danyelle318
    danyelle318 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Allrecipes.com, it has all kinds of receipes, even healthy ones. They email me a recipe everyday, and I have used some of them. They are really good, I love the ones to prepare in the slow cooker. Try it out and see what you think.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Make a large portion of vegetables with your pasta or casserole. Dish yourself a small portion of the pasta/casserole and a large portion of vegetables.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I use Allrecipes.com, it has all kinds of receipes, even healthy ones. They email me a recipe everyday, and I have used some of them. They are really good, I love the ones to prepare in the slow cooker. Try it out and see what you think.

I have their spinner on my iphone. VERY COOL TOOL!
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    Cookinglight.com
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Burgers, pork chops, meat loaf, grilled chicken. Make decent sides for them, but make something that is good for you too. My inlaws do this for my sister is law which is going through a high protein low carb diet. (already lost a LOT of weight) They cook healthy stuff but add in a dish or two they like to eat.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant. I cant believe I didnt think of that.
  • hphm420
    hphm420 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When making pasta for my family I substitue the noodles for "The Miracle Noodle," they are very low carb and calories. Also, maybe veggie burgers instead of hambugers......lean turkey instead of ground beef in casseroles. :-)
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Pasta is filling and you can keep the sauce and pasta separate; meat in some, meatless in other - relatively inexpensive and you can do it several ways over 2 weeks without boredom (even freeze it if you want for later). Chili is filling and if you do veggie meat or meatless, then serve over rice it can be fairly cost effective and healthy (again, good frozen). Big baked potatoes are good for chili leftovers and can be healthy. **The key is portion control.** Measure and log *before* you eat. When you see you are going over in calories, go for 3/4 or 1/2 portion instead. Have a watermelon for dessert, whip up frozen fruit only smoothies, avoid the sugary or starchy desserts. Waffles and pancakes can be super healthy and made a big batch at a time and frozen; avoid the syrup and use all-fruit spread or fresh fruit topping. I *love* allrecipes.com. Avoid the alcohol - not only is it empty calories but lowers your inhibitions for overeating as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • swtkaylasmommy
    Options
    When making pasta for my family I substitue the noodles for "The Miracle Noodle," they are very low carb and calories. Also, maybe veggie burgers instead of hambugers......lean turkey instead of ground beef in casseroles. :-)

what are miracle noodles...pasta is my weakness and last time it turned into a 1000 calorie disaster on my food tracker...i don't want to do that again but i hate feeling like i'm depriving myself of something i LOVE.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, great ideas!!