Over-eating & instant gratification; a return to fitness

Options
Hi, my name's Karen!

I fell off of the wagon about 2 years ago when I got a job, and I've been lazy about working out and eating healthy ever since. After going from 280 to 220, and now back up to 235, I've realized that if I ever want to reach my goal of 150 lbs then I can't afford to slack.

So I'm back to logging here! Hopefully very regularly to keep my eating in check. I have a food scale, bless, and a treadmill--I just need to be consistent.

Right now my goal is to get back down to 220 so my clothes fit properly again. I hope to be down to 220 in a month or so; by July 1st. It might sound like too big a goal, but I need a hearty boost to get back into the game, and I think seeing that I really can lose weight will do that.

Feel free to add me, I need to boost my friends list--get some discussion going--and what all.

So, my question to you is, what do you do to restrain yourself from overeating? Eating is a compulsion for me, as it gives me instant gratification. I know that motivation isn't the best because it's fleeting, so what do you do when your cravings hit?

Thanks!

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I find foods that I like to eat in these situations that won't blow my goals. Freeze-dried or fresh fruit, roasted seaweed snacks (so good), air-popped popcorn- all help me with the impulse to eat something sweet or salty and stay on track. I also identify what triggers me to want to eat- TV, boredom. These are major triggers for me, so I have adjusted how I approach them.

Finding foods that make me "full" is also good- I have found that protein and fiber help me feel full longer than simple carbs. Some people find high fat very satisfying as well. Find what works for you. Good luck!
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @Penthesilea514 That makes perfect sense to me! Popcorn sounds like the type I'd go to--I kind of need to continuously munch, and if it involves hands then I go for it. Boredom absolutely triggers me into eating as well.

As for filling proteins and fibers--that means things like rice and chicken, correct? I'll have to look up high protein/fiber foods, since I don't know what constitutes what. I'm ignorant in the nutrition department.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead helps me out. I don't have much choice for most of the day because I'm at work, so I have to bring lunch and snacks. Then when I'm at work I tend to plan what I'm going to have for dinner and dessert. It doesn't always work for me, but it has been lately. If you include things you enjoy and look forward to, I think it's easier to avoid eating compulsively. For a while there I was using the hunger scale along with my planned food. It was helpful because if I've just rated myself as "perfectly satisfied" or "full and won't be hungry for hours," it's harder to continue to eat or go get something else.
  • chokhas
    chokhas Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think the key is planning ahead and looking at the right portion sizes. you could even prepack some snacks. for example I usually carry a 100 calories snack (nuts or dry food) and a 200 one which is usually a muesli bar (high protein from carman?). its ok and not too expensive especially in comparison to the other bars. I eat the snack when I feel like munching the bar is a filler if I cant eat lunch due to meeting before 2 or 3 p.m. once I am super hungry I will just grab the closest food to my office and that is not a healthy one. works better though I will need to eat a smaller portion for lunch then.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    messiahs wrote: »
    @Penthesilea514 That makes perfect sense to me! Popcorn sounds like the type I'd go to--I kind of need to continuously munch, and if it involves hands then I go for it. Boredom absolutely triggers me into eating as well.

As for filling proteins and fibers--that means things like rice and chicken, correct? I'll have to look up high protein/fiber foods, since I don't know what constitutes what. I'm ignorant in the nutrition department.

My go-to protein sources include lean meats (chicken, turkey), eggs, milk, soybeans, tuna, Greek yogurt, etc- there are a lot of different protein sources. I also drink protein shakes after my workout for extra protein.

Fiber- I usually like to try and get this with fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, and popcorn but these aren't your only options.

Here are a few links to food ideas in each category:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, everyone! @chokhas @distinctlybeautiful I really like the idea of planning meals and snacks out. That way it's easy to just grab something and eat it and quickly log it. I love raisins, dried fruits--nuts etc--so I can probably whip together snacks for when I'm at work and what all. Fruit is definitely a snack I could see as gratifying and something I'd "look forward to", so maybe that can quench my cravings for sweets.

I'll have to take a look at those protein and fiber foods! Thanks for the links.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen, have similar issues to you and can't say I've a magic wand, but just noticed that having a HUGE lunch (mainly stuffed with salad or veg + protein/ carbs) like fish or egg salad & brown bread, or curry & rice calms my 'pigging into snacks' habit over the day a lot, and because I feel full, draws on a lot less willpower than I'd expected.

Odd, as I prefer a main meal after work, but eating a large quantity midday has helped me kickstart back on MFP after a total (disastrous) long binge break. Good luck!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    create habits.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    1. I eat what I want. Honestly, if I want a cookie I'm going to eat a cookie. Sometimes I can't always make it fit into my day's goals so then I tell myself I can have the cookie the next day or the day after. I never tell myself I can't have the cookie. I've found it's much easier to tell myself I can have something later or another day than 'no'. In general, I also eat foods that I like and enjoy. I look forward to my meal times and don't feel like I'm 'dieting' or restricting myself.

2. I eat when I want. For the most part, I eat three meals a day, but if I'm hungry between meals I will eat a snack. I prelog my day and bring snacks to work that I have allotted calories for. If by chance I don't want my snack that day I just don't eat it. If it's too close to my next meal I'll try to hold out and if I'm out of calories, but I'm still hungry I'll try to drink water, but if that still doesn't cut it and bed time is hours away I'll have a small (100 calories) snack.

3. I just don't eat how much I want all the time. This really isn't as hard as it sounds. Yes, I may want to have seconds or thirds of whatever I'm eating, but I find if I plan filling meals I don't really have the room anyways. Someone brought cupcakes today and I really wanted one (even though I didn't have space for it in my calories), but after eating my sandwich, fruit, and veggies I packed for lunch I was too full to eat one anyways.