Can i build muscle while trying to lose fat

Options
jla2425
jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
I am trying to lose weight.. Is weight training even worth it or will i just lose muscle because im in deficit and also doing cardio... Im so confused... I here muscle burns more calories buttttt ya any advice??

Replies

• aaronjames1970
    aaronjames1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've researched this and it appears if you can up your daily protein intake to equal weight it can be done.

For instance, if your goal weight is 130 lbs try to consume 130 grams of protein daily.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Probably not. But lifting will help you retain as much muscle as possible while you lose.
  • my_akownt
    my_akownt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's probably achievable to a small degree, depending on your current build, but far from optimal. Your diet would need to be almost perfect and you'd certainly need to supplement.
  • Red_Minx
    Red_Minx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What I have read is you actually need to do weight training as well. Your body burns fat at a higher rate the more muscle mass you have. This is why sometimes you will see someone who you know runs and runs and runs and yet they still retain fat that they can't lose. A good mix of strength training and cardiovascular is the way to go.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Red_Minx wrote: »
    What I have read is you actually need to do weight training as well. Your body burns fat at a higher rate the more muscle mass you have. This is why sometimes you will see someone who you know runs and runs and runs and yet they still retain fat that they can't lose. A good mix of strength training and cardiovascular is the way to go.

you burn like 5-7 calories per lb of muscle and you wont gain a lot of muscle in a deficit for it to be a big enough calorie burn to make a difference. you can also do whats called a recomp(eat at maintenance calories and lift heavy using a progressive lifting program).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Red_Minx wrote: »

fat is lost in a deficit and it takes time to lose. so if someone is not losing fat it could be due to many reasons.
  • JimmyfromNYC
    JimmyfromNYC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Heres the skinny on adding muscle and losing fat: To put on muscle you need to eat a lot. To lose weight you need to eat less. For advanced body builders they eat a lot when strength training to add muscle. Then before their shows they cut carbs mostly to cut. However for the average Joe or Jane strength training (lifting or High Intensity Intervals) can really help with fat loss and muscle addition. Just dont cut your calories too severely.
  • JimmyfromNYC
    JimmyfromNYC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    PS if you look at sprinters in the 100 yard dash youll see they are very muscular, cut and defined. While marathoners are very thin and lack muscle tone. BOTH however have very little fat.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You're going to look a lot better if you start lifting now. You save muscle doing this. Why lose all that fat along with muscle and then not have as great of a foundation to work with?
  • jla2425
    Options
    I do have 30lbs to go. Im 150 and 5 ft 1. Goal is 120. I guess i just dont want to lift if doing nothing or getting in way of losing.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jla2425 wrote: »
    I do have 30lbs to go. Im 150 and 5 ft 1. Goal is 120. I guess i just dont want to lift if doing nothing or getting in way of losing.

It's not going to get in the way of losing if you are consistent with your deficit. You will look better. You will not regret starting now.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

It's not going to get in the way of losing if you are consistent with your deficit. You will look better. You will not regret starting now.

Start lifting...this cannot be over stated enough.
  • jla2425
    Options
    Well i have been for about 2 months and i have lost weight i feel stronger but i also wonder if its not worth it. Thanks guys i will keep at it
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Well i have been for about 2 months and i have lost weight i feel stronger but i also wonder if its not worth it. Thanks guys i will keep at it

It's worth it. It's always worth it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Lifting is worth it. You need muscle. It also helps with bone density.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i have been eating at a deficit for 5 months and was doing mainly cardio until month 4. At the start of month 5, I added weight training and decreased my cardio a bit but still eating at a deficit; my rate of weight loss has doubled. This is just my personal experience; try it out and see how you feel.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If I was ever required to only choose one type of exercise, it would be lifting. It will do more for your body composition/image than any other exercise.

But if you start lifting, you will more likely maintain muscle while cutting fat. You most likely wont' gain a lot of muscle, if any at all, while you are losing weight... although, you might get some noob gains.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, but there are many things that factor into results.

Rank new lifter.
    Obese.
    Program.
    Age.
    Size of deficit.
    Protien intake.
    How much testosterone you have.
    Rest.

Lifting can bring sucessful strength gains regardless and if that is a goal of yours, enough said.

Other things to consider are retaining muscle, future goals, strengthening skeletal structure, conditionimg connective tissues.