How often do you eat?

Options

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Because I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic, I try to eat 5 meals a day (9am-9pm) spaced exactly 3 hours apart. This keeps my insulin dosage lower & consistent and basically I'm "not really hungry" by the time the next meal comes around which helps with eating smaller meals. I try to have all my meals at about the same size as far as calories, carbs & protein (but that's still a work in progress).
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have one protein shake in the afternoon and eat one large meal around 6pm.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Usually (it's a habit, not a rule) I eat twice a day. A small lunch or large snack (about 300 cal) around 2:00 p.m. and a large dinner around 8:30 p.m. On these days I start getting hungry about an hour or so before the meal.

On the weekends we typically work outside most of the day so I eat around 10:00 a.m. instead of 2:00, and then dinner around 8:30 - 9:00. On these days I'm usually not hungry before the first meal and I'm ravenous by dinner.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For about a year, I ate 6 (7 if including what I consumed before/during workouts) evenly spaced 300 calorie "meals." Goal was 2200-2500 cals. I was hungry every 2-3 hours and looked forward to my "feeding times." 5am, 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm.

The last 3-6 months, I've been doing just three 500-600 calorie meals, which after eating tiny meals at a high frequency, makes me feel SO FULL and holds me over 4-5 hours. Training days, it's 500cal Pre/IntraWO, 600cal Breakfast, 500cal Lunch, 600cal dinner.

Maybe consider trying out smaller meals with a higher frequency and see if your body likes that better. :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    3 meals, 3 snacks. I eat every 2-3 hours
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'll have a small breakfast (approx 100 calories) at roughly 7:30am. I'll then have another small breakfast or snack (again, approx 100 calories) while I'm at work between 9:30-10:30 ish.
    I'll have lunch between 12:00-1:00pm which is normally between 400-500 calories. I rarely have a snack between lunch and dinner but if I'm hungry enough I will.
    My dinner tends to be my biggest meal of the day at 500-700 calories and I will sometimes have a dessert (approx 200 calories or less).

I'm never that hungry anymore after meals or snacks, I suppose I've just got used to it (also it does help eating little and often).
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I only eat breakfast, lunch & dinner. I don't find the need for snacks.. and I'm only "allowed" 1200 calories per day, my 3 meals usually get me pretty close to that 1200. I eat breakfast around 9:30, lunch at 12:30 and dinner around 6. I also drink around 90oz of water a day, I think that REALLY helps curb any hunger pains I may get.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and just eat lunch and dinner, with occasionally one snack between the two.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a couple snacks in the late afternoon/early evening as I don't eat dinner until around 8:30 PM
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Small meals and snack throughout the day. Sometimes, I even ignore mealtime and eat small healthy meals, snacks. Sometimes indulging in a snickers or cookie.
  • mikelombardo078
    mikelombardo078 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, I try not to think about it much.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat at 9 am, 12, 3, 6, & 9pm it's what works for me. And I hate getting off schedule.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    always breakfast, lunch, one snack in the afternoon, & dinner. i would love to move away from snacking completely but i eat lunch at 12/12:30 and dont get home for dinner until 7pm so I would just get too hungry. If my meals were 200-300 calories as many people on here have posted I would certainly need to snack more in between. I am around 400 for breakfast, 400 calories for lunch, 200ish for afternoon snack and anywhere from 250-400 for dinner depending on how I'm feeling. I totally used to hoard my calories for dinner and dessert but I feel much better eating more throughout the day :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. I get hungry about every 3-4 hours, and find that the snacks keep me from overeating by dinnertime. It seems that I have a nice, consistent amount of energy throughout the day this way. Lots of water, too!
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    3 small meals a day, sometimes have the odd snack but it's rare
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm in the third trimester right now so I eat every 1.5-2 hours due to low blood sugars.

I used to do 3 medium meals, 3 small snacks, or 6 even calorie meals. However when I start back up I will be doing IF again (was just before I found out we were pregnant) so 2-3 meals and a protein drink typically. I enjoy feeling very full and it helps me hit goals without stressing too much.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I eat a 320 calorie lunch at 1pm
    I eat a 170 cal protein bar at 4pm
    I eat a 450 calorie dinner at 7pm
    I spread the remaining calories through the evening randomly
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Depends. It's fairly humid here right now so don't feel like eating huge meals- so I've snacked loads. As long as I'm still monitoring it's ok.
  • gmstevens37
    gmstevens37 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner plus snacks. Breakfast and lunch are eaten on the go at work. I'll eat my banana first, somewhere between 730 -9am my yogurt with granola around 10 -1030. Then a sandwich and fruit about 1130-12. ThenI am usually good until dinner. We eat at 5ish. Sometimes I am hungry when I get home at 3 so I'll have a small bowl of popcorn, or a few triscuits. I always keep room for snacks after dinner. That's when I get the munchies lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That seems normal to me. My eating "schedule" during the work week is breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, possibly another snack depending on how long it will be until I get dinner ready, dinner, and then chocolate. You could try to cut out the snacks and divide all your calories into bigger meals. If I eat a really Big lunch I can go all the way til dinner without being hungry.