My back pain hurts

Options
Two yrs ago I walked alot, was very active. Got depressed and still very depressed and iv gained so much weight so now I've just hit rock bottom, I realize now I can't even walk without my back hurting so bad like I could callapse, I can't even walk around the block or go to Walmart, idk what to do, it's so sad, any suggestions? :s

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor to check what's wrong?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your pain and depression. When I hit rock bottom I had to consciously decide how badly I wanted to change and what I was willing to do to make it happen. From there it's all about calorie counting and movement. I started off walking 1/4 mile per day and could barely do that. I just added a little bit every week. Within a few months I could walk a couple of miles without stopping. If you can't walk around the block, walk down one side of the block, then walk back. Add 10-20 steps per day. It's amazing the progress that can be made if you take small steps and keep at it consistently.
  • brandyanne0204
    brandyanne0204 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I can start off walking and about 10 or 15 minutes in my lower back will start hurting to the point I feel like I am gonna cry. I have told my doctor about it plenty of times and all they tell me is that I have to lose weight. I know I need to lose weight but how am I to get started if I am in pain. Taking pain medication do not work that much anymore.
  • bartonterah21
    bartonterah21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

No I havent
  • bartonterah21
    Options
    Yah I need to be seen by Dr, bt they will just say u need to lose weight
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

maybe, but they can help with your depression too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

No I havent

Go to the Dr.

Sometimes back pain is really kidney pain and "back hurting so bad like I could callapse" could be a sign of a lodged kidney stone.

Go to the Dr.

• emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with the seeing a dr definitely. Even if you think you know what he/she will say. What about looking up some exercises you could do while sitting to try to build some strength? Or counting your steps until the pain starts and then stopping and keeping a log. Go a couple of steps farther every other time to slowly build up your endurance. Baby steps. I have chronic low back pain also. In fact I just finished a round of pt because I was down for a month. Good luck.
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try a chiropractor first. It helps, usually small copay, easy appointments and no ex rays. Highly recommended you try this first.
  • burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know your stats / weight ... and I hate the state the obvious but ...

You don't need to workout at all to lose weight... you just need to eat less calories. You can lose weight while bed-bound ...

... get a food scale ... weigh every single thing that goes in your mouth. If it's a tub of ice cream weigh it before and after etc.
    ... log e v e r y single thing you eat for two weeks ... then Analyze and male small incremental changes. Not drastic sweeping ones.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Good. When they do, ask for help. Ask for help with the depression. Ask for help with exercise (where to start, what is safe, maybe even PT depending on what is causing the back pain). Ask for help with diet, maybe even a dietary consult.

Have you tried water aerobics? It's much lower impact than even walking and can be a great place to start.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good, you're still here! That means you're still trying, and that's the first and most important step when you're depressed.

How is your support network, other than your doctor? Family and friends? Seriously, depression makes it hard to ask for the help you need. You can start by just talking to one person: I'm depressed and I want to make some changes in my life, will you help me?

• bartonterah21
    Options
    I will try to do the talking with my Dr. Unfortunately I have a Dr. Who never remember me, and isn't always the nicest,lol person to speak with, working on finding a new Dr. But I will sure try even sitting and excersize, weighing all food I eat is great idea to, thanks ya'll for giving me some input
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    You remind me of me. At 285 lbs I had HBP, a CPAP, back pain so bad could only walk 2 blocks without having to stop, and what seemed like a permanent cough. The inability to walk, something I had always enjoyed, scared the heck out of me. I saw it like this- I was on the verge of becoming a prisoner in my own body, unable to lose weight without moving and unable move without losing. I was going to start a New Year resolution but was afraid to wait another week. I started Christmas Day, 1994. 8 min on the stationary bike/clothes rack in the basement. That was the most i could do.

Figure out a calorie deficit plan you can live with and make a menu. Look on YouTube for hamstring and hip stretches. Walk as much as you can. Look on YouTube for floor workouts. Lay on your back and bicycle. Do anything but sit on the couch. You only get one life. Is this the life you want? Doesn't sound like it. No one can give it to you, you have to go get it.

• Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have sciatica pretty bad. I went to a PT who was really amazing.

I had another medical issue come up that is challenging, and that threw me through a loop.

But before that secondary thing, it was controlled through exercise and stretching. Now I am starting over again, and am using really controlled exercises and stretching to get it back again.

Maybe something like that would help. If the exact right muscles were getting stronger in a way that would support your back.