Taking a break from counting, intuitive eating?

Options
13»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Most people are on here because they ate "intuitively" for years and gained weight.

I think it is entirely possible to be able to achieve your goals without tracking but it will certainly be the most efficient way to get there.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I admire the idea, but "intuitive" eating is what got me 70 lbs overweight in the first place.....
    I admire the idea, but "intuitive" eating is what got me 70 lbs overweight in the first place.....

I see this answer all the time but I have trouble believing it. Intuitive eating does not mean eating everything you want.

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. Most people know deep down in the back of their mind when they are overeating. Plus the incline in weight would be a clue :wink:

Exactly! Sure, you might put on 10 lbs without noticing if you don't weigh yourself regularly. But you don't pack on 50, 70, 100 or lbs without realizing that you are overeating.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This topic helped me. I have been logging in every day.. i usually eat the same things. Now i have been cutting back on my portion sizes as i was probably eating more than i thought. so this week i have been successful in losing. i do need the MFP food log when i eat something unusual like when i went out to TGI Fridays. Also when i weight my chicken pieces .. i need a food scale to tell me how many oz there are. So far so good. I instinctively intuitively know how much to eat for a calorie loss.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I did try intuitive eating for maintenance after I lost 50 pounds. I put on about 5 pounds, which is not that bad in the larger scale. I took those 5 pounds off a couple years ago and am back to counting because to me counting is not that onerous.
  • crushingitdaily12345
    crushingitdaily12345 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I will never take a break. I will tweak, but no breaks. This is my life now.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I like counting and logging. I don't feel I need a break. It gives me peace of mind. I dunno, I'm just not one of those people who despises it with a passion. My husband hates it, but he knows how effective it is.
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I dont mind counting although i dont know if i can do it forever. I always weigh neat regardless but i notice it can become an obsession and addiction and i constantly worry about what I'm going to eat. It was nice to take a break. I weigh weekly so if i notice i stop losing i will begin counting again. I do have 30lbs to go
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would intuit myself right through an entire chocolate cake.

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I find, for me, logging takes the stress out of eating. When I try to eat mindfully or intuitively I either eat way under or over my calorie needs. And I overanalyze every bite I put in my mouth until I just decide it's easier not to eat, or I block it out of my mind and binge. Knowing where I'm at with my calories lets me relax, balance my macros and know when it's OK to indulge without guilt or anxiety. I'm also really bad at judging portions, so the weighing and measuring relieves that stress too.
    This is exactly how I feel. I never thought I'd enjoy weighing and logging everything but I do, and it's because I know I can eat everything I log and never have to worry about my weight ever again. Everything seems to taste so much better without the stress of worrying whether I'm eating too much. I enjoy eating now more than I ever did actually, and I really enjoy eating!