Signs of anorexia...?

Options
Hi. I've been on a weight loss routine for a long time now, which includes taking part in dieting and exercise. But nowadays, I feel like my dieting may have gone a little far, in the way that after I eat something, I get this guilt like 'oh I just ate this! I'm going to get fat!' And that happens for all kinds of foods, even healthy ones.

I try to make up for what I ate by not eating anything for the rest of the day or making it self mandatory to exercise. Basically, to sum it all up, every time I eat, I feel like I'm putting fattening stuff into my body.

I know it's irrational so I'm wondering if watching calories for so long and dieting is starting to make me slightly anorexic?

Replies

• Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know why there's three threads of this! Moderator, if you could, please delete them. Thanks!
  • riverscloud3407
    riverscloud3407 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor as I am not a licensed professional. Anorexia is a lot more than meets the eye, and chances are you won’t have it. You certainly do not want it either! Can not stress that enough. For most people it will show signs in early childhood, and it is again, rare that signs only start to show in adulthood. And one more time, you do NOT want anorexia or any kind of eating disorder. Orthorexia is something you may want to look into though as well, as it is similar. I wish you lots of hugs. Be careful dieting.
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would also suggest speaking to a doctor. Even if it's not anorexia or another eating disorder, it still seems like a stressful/unhealthy way to live. Hugs.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yes, that does sound disordered, and you should see a professional.

Are you using MFP? For some people it helps to log their calories, since they know how much they can eat without gaining weight and it makes them feel less panicky. Other people have the opposite reaction and obsess about it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor. But you will have to do the job yourself anyway, so you can start challenging your mindset and habits today: Make it a non-breakable rule to eat regularly (you decide how many times per day, make it something that works with your schedule) and hitting your maintenance calories. You should have an idea of how much you need after a year of logging, so if calories bothers you, you can just stop tracking - but you'll probably still have to plan your meals/shopping/cooking, so you're not letting completely go of external control.

Just be aware that calorie counting is not in itself causing this distortion, it's your tendency to go to extremes, and maybe lack of information - there are no fattening foods, and no healthy foods, we need a wide range of foods to be healthy, we can eat anything we want as long as we don't eat too much. You don't get fat from one meal or in one day, you gain weight when you eat too many calories over time. If you weigh yourself, know about water weight fluctuations and look at the trend over time.