Should I start drinking protein shakes?

Options
I really want to start drinking protein shakes because 1. I can control my calorie intake and 2. It can save money.

But I wonder if drinking protein shakes will be good for me. I have a job where I'm constantly on my feet, running around and lifting things so I feel like I can burn off the calories.

Plus I'm going to start exercising regularly.

Thoughts and ideas?

Replies

• PatriNina
    PatriNina Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking of living off of just protein shakes? Or do you mean it as a one meal per day replacement?

I can't imagine it being safe to only drink protein shakes, and ignore all other macros.
    If it works for you as a once in a while meal replacement, great!
    But can't imagine drinking my calories, and not having delicious food haha.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein Shakes and Meal Replacement shakes are two entirely different things.

Protein Shakes are to supplement normal diet to improve intake of protein, for most people this is additional protein to assist in muscle recovery for workouts or because they are struggling to meet their Protein requirements from food.

Meal replacement shakes are intended to be more filling, so will generally have a higher calorie and a higher fat or carb content.

I don't really see how this would save you money, meal replacement shakes are pretty costly compared to fresh food that could make you several meals. You also won't learn how to control your calorie intake with food, so when you stop using them you will still be at square one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They have basically no nutrients. Eat food.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals ahead and you will have no trouble sticking to calories. Eat real food - if you want a low calorie protein source take a boiled egg to work.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When my husband was lifting he'd do protein shakes to help recovery from his workout, but even then he wasn't too fond of the SUPPLIMENT of a drink over protein gained from actual food... I mean, it's not even cheaper. You can get a big pack of chicken and eat off of that for a week and not have to deal with finding a powder that actually tastes good.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Protein is a macronutrient.

But do agree with "eat food".
    Supplement only if required.
  • aettinger448
    aettinger448 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use them as a meal replacement if 1) I'm going to or have just worked out with high intensity and don't want a big meal and/or 2) if I know a later meal will be high in calorie count and I need to save up some calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you aren't able to hit your protein goal with normal food, then go for it. That's what I use protein powder for... not that it happens often.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like meal replacement shakes that are high in protein for a quick breakfast in the morning. I use ones that are high in protein, fiber, nutrients, probiotics, and omega 3's. After working out in the morning, my stomach handles them well and it keeps me full until lunchtime. Sure, "eat food" is a great way to be but, especially on busy mornings, it's a super easy way to get filling nutrition in at a fairly low calorie count with very little prep work.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I blend mine with half a banana (whole if small), some almond milk, and a couple ice cubes for texture. Fills me up better that way and gets me through busy mornings. I have them 2-3 days a week. It's useful to have around for on the go or to sip while you get ready.
  • RoseJaneNB
    RoseJaneNB Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to eat enough protein. I love veges and tend to just not eat enough protein. Or if I do my fats go sky high... nuts, eggs.. maybe protein supplements could help me to reach my protein goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Protein is a macronutrient.

But do agree with "eat food".
    Supplement only if required.

Protein, sure. Bit of fat, check. Vitamins/whatever else our body needs? Eh.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Some meal replacements do have vitamins and are likely more healthy than what people eat at lunch anyway. Was for me as I am on road a lot for work and much easier to hit my macros with the one I prefer. I take a vitamin supplement also to make sure I hit numbers and have that great expensive pee! Also saves me a ton of time and I that I can use to go swimming if a pool is nearby.

Oh and some of the meal replacements come in at around $3 - $5 dollars a meal. Now that is more expensive than whole food made at home, but likely less than a restaurant that some might be use to eating at for lunch or breakfast.

My 2-cents is if you think you can do it, many of them taste like crap, and you still eat 2 good meals a day it would be alright to use as a replacement for one. 3 home cooked meals of fresh non-processed food would be better but I for one just can't be fussed with the extra work. Just do the research and find the one that best meets your goals.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I drink my breakfast, Because it's quick, convenient and portable.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I like doing a protein/meal replacement shake for my breakfast. I make it the night before, grab it as I'm running out the door, and drink it on my drive to work. Easy peasy and keeps me full. As everyone else is saying, just do your research for which one you get. You want it to contain other nutrients than just protein, and watch things like added sugars and sodium. I like plant-based ones, since my body doesn't handle dairy (whey) well. The "good stuff" of course costs more, so it's up to your discretion.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition whey isolates vanilla and pack my smoothie with half a banana, berries, flax, Matcha, cocoa, and three handfuls of spinach and kale. Good way to get the vegetables in. And water...it's huge and fills me up for hours.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have intense workouts and use a protein shake as recovery. Helps me make sure I lose ft instead of muscle that way.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a protein shake after my gym session... and then I have my real breakfast. I don't use them to replace a meal. Also, I guess is depends on what kind you get, but the protein powder I use isn't cheap, so I don't know how it would save you money.

If it were me, I'd have to add a lot to the shake to make it even close to as filling as a meal, plus the protein powder, so I think it would be cheaper for me to just eat regular food (which I do.)