Fiber

Blitzia
Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
What's your favorite source of fiber? I get enough fiber most days, but I'm pretty dependent on only a couple of sources (quest bars and high fiber tortillas) so I'd love some more ideas. The only problem is my calorie goal is pretty low so I don't want to just eat a bunch of carbs solely for the sake of more fiber.

Also, I bought some Fiber One cereal which has really awesome nutritional values, but I don't want to "waste" the calories just eating boring cereal. I used it to replace breadcrumbs in a recipe and it was fantastic, but I don't know anymore good recipes. So if you have some low calorie recipes that use cereal or bread crumbs, please share!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Nuts.

I eat very few carbohydrates so getting adequate fibre is a pretty minimal need. Almost a non-issue. My favorite fibre filled food is nuts though.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Veggies. Dark green leafies are not only high in fiber, they are chock full of nutrients! Spinach is my favorite because it's so versatile. Salads, omelettes, on sandwiches and with pasta - yum!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Blitzia wrote: »
    What's your favorite source of fiber? I get enough fiber most days, but I'm pretty dependent on only a couple of sources (quest bars and high fiber tortillas) so I'd love some more ideas. The only problem is my calorie goal is pretty low so I don't want to just eat a bunch of carbs solely for the sake of more fiber.

Also, I bought some Fiber One cereal which has really awesome nutritional values, but I don't want to "waste" the calories just eating boring cereal. I used it to replace breadcrumbs in a recipe and it was fantastic, but I don't know anymore good recipes. So if you have some low calorie recipes that use cereal or bread crumbs, please share!

Benefiber mixed with a low calorie juice. Or add benefiber can be added to anything you bake or cook, they have a flavoured and unflavoured versions
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    My favourite source of fiber? Fruits and vegetables
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    I always exceed my fiber 2-3 folds because I love fruits and vegetables, but if you find yourself tight on calories one day with not enough fiber go for artichokes, cauliflower, or eggplant. My fiber always shoots up substantially when I have these. If you roast one eggplant (unpeeled) you're looking at 15-20 grams of fiber - that's about 12 grams of fiber for every 100 calories of eggplant, artichokes are even higher than that at 16 grams of fiber per 100 calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    My favorite is probably fruit.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I add 10g of Baobab powder to my greek yogurt to sweeten it.

23 calories=5g of fibre

It's also a rich source of potassium, magnesium and calcium.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I don't count quest bars as fibre. They just make your numbers look good.

Most of my fibre is from fruit and vegies, and I'll choose whole grains or higher fibre grain products if I eat them
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I don't count quest bars as fibre.

... Why?
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Thank you guys! I'm definitely lacking on the fruits and veggies. Before I started losing weight, I literally ate zero vegetables and assumed I hated all of them. Now that I've been trying new things, I discoveres I love cauliflower dishes so I'm willing to experiment. Artichokes and eggplant sound like a good place to start, and I've never heard of baobab powder so I'll have to look that up too. Do you guys have opinions about fresh vs frozen or canned? I have trouble using up vegetables while they're still fresh, so I like if I can buy things with longer expiration dates.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    veggies, fruit, beans, lentils, oats, etc...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Thank you guys! I'm definitely lacking on the fruits and veggies. Before I started losing weight, I literally ate zero vegetables and assumed I hated all of them. Now that I've been trying new things, I discoveres I love cauliflower dishes so I'm willing to experiment. Artichokes and eggplant sound like a good place to start, and I've never heard of baobab powder so I'll have to look that up too. Do you guys have opinions about fresh vs frozen or canned? I have trouble using up vegetables while they're still fresh, so I like if I can buy things with longer expiration dates.

I like fresh for most uses, but can go with frozen if I have to. I haven't personally seen many canned vegetables here except for artichoke hearts. I haven't tried them because fresh is cheaper for me, so I can't give any opinion regarding canned, but some people say they're mushy and tasteless.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I eat a lot of whole grains if possible, and I also tend to eat whole grain plus some sort of bran cereal for breakfast. Otherwise I'd fall short on my fiber goals quite often.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I've found that it's important to get a range of different sources of fiber. There's two types of fiber - insoluble and soluble, and you need them both. Good thing is that fruits and veggies have both. Grains, beans and lentils have both but more on the insoluble side, fruits and veggies have different amounts of each.

For a quick hit, raspberries are excellent (it's all those seeds) and I agree with amusedmonkey about artichokes. You can buy them frozen and just add one or two heated up on top of a salad - if you switch out kale or other leafy green for lettuce you'll get even more, plus a whole lot of other nutrients.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I like fresh for most uses, but can go with frozen if I have to., so I can't give any opinion regarding canned, but some people say they're mushy and tasteless.

I agree with this, i eat mostly fresh veggies, my hubby is a "vegetable snob" and wont eat veggies out of a packet. As for canned veggies, most of them are as described above, mushy and tasteless :confounded: The exception being black beans (high fibre) and corn kernels.

If you have a blender (not a juicer), you can make a smoothie with a lot of different fruits and veggies. I get my biggest vegetable hits with stir fry's, I cram as many different veggies into my wok as will fit in there, the bonus is you can make a big batch and freeze them into portion size meals if you want, so no wastage.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

beans & legumes, mainly.

e.g.
    kidney beans: 25g/333cal
    Peas: 7g/118cal
    lentils: 8g/116cal
    green beans: 3.4g/31cal
    broccoli: 3.8g/50cal
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I have the easiest time working a high fiber content per calorie into soup.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I personally love Fiber One cereal. I mix it in with my Greek yogurt and I love to eat it. I eat it every day and actually crave it I love it so much!
  • klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    peas are super high fiber. I like making split pea soup in the slow cooker and eating it for lunch.