Dog Advice

Options

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Dogs can be fed once a day without a problem, their bodies work differently than ours, they stay fuller longer as the food doesn't digest as quickly. Also we used to crate our dog for around the same amount of time. I felt too bad, so we decided to leave her out of the crate, we started small 15 min at a time, and gradually just increased the time. Now she just sleeps on the couch all day like a bum.

Not quite true with tiny breeds - they can succumb to hypoglycemia very quickly
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    8 hours a day is not terrible. Most dogs will adjust to that routine just fine and nap while you're gone. Just make sure he gets plenty of exercise and attention when you ARE there, and I would generally say that if your dog is crated all day, better NOT to crate overnight.

As for not eating in the morning - I'm a big dog person, so this isn't something that would worry me in the slightest. BUT if you're worried, can you use a little bit of "treat" food - canned food, or pour some broth over his dry food? To make it more enticing and convince him to eat it. After a few weeks, you can slowly cut back on whatever additive you've used. He just needs to break the "grazing" routine.

Don't let him graze at night, either. Put down his food for like, 30 minutes, and then make sure he's watching when you pick it up. Use a phrase like "food!" when you put his bowl down and "time's up" when you pick it up. Something. He'll learn.

This is a great tactic for medium/large breeds, but this dog is 5lbs fully grown. Small dogs are notoriously picky eaters and their stomachs are so tiny they really can only hold a few pieces of food at a time. Low blood sugar from not being able to eat regularly throughout the day can affect these little guys so really, she should give access to a small amount of food all the time.
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    You should find a home for your dog with people that have the time and space to properly care for your dog. A pet is a big responsibility and it is not fair to the animal to keep him around if you do not have the time to give to it. I'm sure you love your animal, but it doesn't sound as if you are in the right place to do the right thing. Give him to a family that will be there. When your life settle down and you have the time to invest, get another pet.

I don't think that's really a fair statement to make considering most people work 8 hours a day and still manage to keep pets. We are home everyday by 4:30 and every weekend.

It doesn't matter what most people do.

When I first got my dog I was working part time. Some years later, things changed and I had to go full time with a one hour commute each way.

Looking back on it now, it wasn't right. My dog became more withdrawn when I started working full time and he was alone 10 hours a day. Even though someone came in to feed and walk him once a day and I put out pee pee pads.

I agree with RoadDog from personal experience. I love dogs and they deserve the best life possible. I will never have a dog again unless or until 1) I'm a homeowner 2) I work from home and the gig is secure 3) I retire and have at least 15 years left to live in good health so I could take care of any dog I take on.

I love dogs, but do not have the time to give them that they deserve. My wife and I love to travel and do not want to keep kenneling a dog. When we retire and can afford the time, we will get a dog.

This is us as well. We have cats because they're fine to be left alone for a few days when we decide we want to go out of town. Plus we're on the 2nd floor of an apartment building and just don't think that type of lifestyle is really suitable for a dog. We may get one later in life when one of us is home all the time and we no longer travel, but for now, the cats are great companions and don't mind when we leave them for a little bit!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    8 hours a day is not terrible. Most dogs will adjust to that routine just fine and nap while you're gone. Just make sure he gets plenty of exercise and attention when you ARE there, and I would generally say that if your dog is crated all day, better NOT to crate overnight.

As for not eating in the morning - I'm a big dog person, so this isn't something that would worry me in the slightest. BUT if you're worried, can you use a little bit of "treat" food - canned food, or pour some broth over his dry food? To make it more enticing and convince him to eat it. After a few weeks, you can slowly cut back on whatever additive you've used. He just needs to break the "grazing" routine.

Don't let him graze at night, either. Put down his food for like, 30 minutes, and then make sure he's watching when you pick it up. Use a phrase like "food!" when you put his bowl down and "time's up" when you pick it up. Something. He'll learn.

This is a great tactic for medium/large breeds, but this dog is 5lbs fully grown. Small dogs are notoriously picky eaters and their stomachs are so tiny they really can only hold a few pieces of food at a time. Low blood sugar from not being able to eat regularly throughout the day can affect these little guys so really, she should give access to a small amount of food all the time.

I must have missed that,my recommendation, on eating once a day was based off a medium sized bread (roughly 30 lbs) I dont know much about tiny dogs, if your vet isnt worried about it though, I dont think I would be either, does it eat normally at night?
  • PrincessMel72
    Options

I must have missed that,my recommendation, on eating once a day was based off a medium sized bread (roughly 30 lbs) I dont know much about tiny dogs, if your vet isnt worried about it though, I dont think I would be either, does it eat normally at night?

I'd say get a new vet if she's not worried about your 5lb dog eating just once a day. I can't tell you how many times clients would bring half dead Chihuahuas and Yorkies into our clinic saying "well, he only eats once a day so we stopped putting food out for him except at dinner". Think about the size of a human stomach versus the size of a 5lb dog's stomach. How much can they really put in there at one time? I'm hypoglycemic so I can fully understand this condition in humans and dogs. Consult another vet.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I guess that makes sense, but lordy, chalk up another reason I won't be bringing home a tiny breed anytime soon. (Nothing against small dogs, they just aren't my thing.)
  • PrincessMel72
    Options

I guess that makes sense, but lordy, chalk up another reason I won't be bringing home a tiny breed anytime soon. (Nothing against small dogs, they just aren't my thing.)

Same here! My cats are bigger than a lot of small dogs. I, personally, like medium/large and giant breeds!
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    LOVE Corgis! @laurenebargar
  • laurenebargar
    Options

Me too! looking to get Kiki a little brother this winter! Perfect size dog for us! lol
  • PrincessMel72
    Options

Me too! looking to get Kiki a little brother this winter! Perfect size dog for us! lol

And sooooo adorable and fun! Such personalities Corgis have!
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I put his food out for him in the morning when we wake up (he sleeps in the bed with us). I leave it out from about an hour and try to get him to eat but he is not interested at all. I gave him a treat this morning just so he'd have something in his tummy. He eats good in the evening. Usually when we are all gathered in the kitchen for dinner he wants to eat.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

I put his food out for him in the morning when we wake up (he sleeps in the bed with us). I leave it out from about an hour and try to get him to eat but he is not interested at all. I gave him a treat this morning just so he'd have something in his tummy. He eats good in the evening. Usually when we are all gathered in the kitchen for dinner he wants to eat.

Some dogs like to graze all day, my dog used to do that, but then she was eating too much and gaining weight, so shes not allowed to eat like that anymore lol! Maybe get a second opinion from another vet
  • laurenebargar
    Options

They definitely do! lol such a fun breed!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd leave him in the bathroom or a hallway with pee pads (heck, you could litterbox train a dog that small) and food and water. Heck even if he pees on the tiles in the bathroom, it takes 30 seconds to clean up. And yeah, see if there's a kid or retired neighbor who can take the dog out during the day.
  • lorinoye
    lorinoye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My dog used to be like this as well. She would only eat when someone was in the kitchen with her. If you left the kitchen before she was done, she would follow you and forget about the food. She did get over it eventually, we didn't do anything different.

Please don't feel bad about having a dog and working. I hate when people think that just because you and your partner are both working full time and the dog has to be alone for 8 hours a day that you should give it away to a 'family that will love it'. Why can't I love my dog in the time I am home? My husband and I both work 8 hours a day so our dog is alone from 8-5. When we get home she gets a good walk and lots of cuddles, good food, and sleeps in the bed with us (2 large people and a 70lb Doberman in a queen size bed...good times). We rescued her from a neglectful home and I'm certain that if she could talk she would thank us profusely.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

cw0atbap932k.jpg

• laurenebargar
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

cw0atbap932k.jpg

:D Love this!!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Keep it simple here: whatever you can do to give the dog more time and space is owed to your dog by owning him, but having a job/survival of course takes priority. Trying to keep a perfect home shouldn't be a priority over your dog being able to move around in barely more space than to turn around in though, I think you probably can find a way to allow them more area to roam.

Big dogs can be fine with feeding once per day. 5lb'ers are not the same however, their metabolisms are different, just like a humming bird which has to eat constantly through the day is different from a goose that can have one evening feeding time and be fine. With a 5lb dog you can also easily give them more space than a kennel of their size with little difficulty, why not at least do that and allow access to a kibble food throughout the day?
  • ladylego1
    ladylego1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    t7bt1yega3pp.jpg

We breed and show little japanese chins (tiny little dogs).... and having 16 at my moms house we do crate them over night and for rest during the day... its a very safe space for them to the point when i got 2 myself at my house we curated a safe space under the stairs or the doggy lounge. As long as the cage is kept clean and they have water and food down... get lots of exercise love and attention it won't cause any harm at all for them to be caged.

In terms of feeding small dogs are picky we graze feed... meaning they always have small kibble down i particularly like royal canin shitzu for how small it is and the dogs love it!!! I also supplement feed at night maybe a bit of chicken and rice etc depending but most of the time they are happy with the kibble.

I do have one rescue chin that cant keep weight on (wish i had that problem) and make what we call fat balls from treacle, mince, oats and kibble the dogs adore it and helps put weight on. if you want the recipe message me.

hope that helps h
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    We got him a crate that is actually meant for 30-45 lb dogs so that he would have extra room to move around. I think I am going to continue to work on getting him into a routine of eating in the morning even if, as someone here suggested, I lace his food with broth or something else to entice him into eating. Hopefully he'll catch on to this new routine in a few weeks.