Any healthy mexican food recipes?

Options
valexis394
valexis394 Posts: 3 Member
I grew up on mainly mexican food and I am obsessed with my homemade flour tortillas. Any suggestions on what to use instead of tortillas? Also, any healthy mexican food recipes?

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Fajitas!! Also corn tortillas really aren't that high in calories.
  • MrsRandall081616
    MrsRandall081616 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Following....I LOVE Mexican food!! I jokingly blame tortillas for the "Texas 20" that I gained after moving.
  • SwimHeather7
    SwimHeather7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use corn tortillas instead of flour. You can bake chicken in salsa and then shred. Add some black beans. And you can make shredded chicken tacos for low calories/fat. You can also make shredded chicken tacos in the crock pot. I always add avocado because that makes everything better. I skip the cheese. There are also these baked tostada shells that are really low in calories and fat if you feel like something crunchy.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You could try a low calorie tortilla brand. I had burritos tonight with Xtreme wellness high fiber tortillas. They are 50 calories each with a bunch of fiber. Otherwise, if you could try a lettuce wrap.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Mexican food too! While I much prefer flour tortillas, I've found that corn are pretty tasty too. I like to spray them with my olive oil misto and crisp them on a griddle. Then I add (and weigh) meat, beans, lettuce, salsa, raw veggies, avocado, and a hint of cheese.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Mushroom (or zuchinni) fajitas are a favorite of mine.

Take a pound of mushrooms (or zuchini) and cut them into strips/slices/whatever you want.

In a pan fry up some onions and peppers (I like pablano but any type is fine) until tender in a dash of butter.

When sautee is becoming tender, add in mushrooms or zuchinni, sprinkle the top with salt, pepper, and cumin, oregano (or cilantro) and garlic.

Sautee until everything is tenderness of your choosing (the juice from the shroom/chini will absorb the spices on top).

Then serve wiith some la tortilla factory low carb tortillas (drool soo good, better than normal tortillas IMO). Sometimes I use light sour cream but not even necessary because the veg is flavorful and moist on its own.

Very low cal.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. It's not specifically a Mexican food website, but she makes a lot of Mexican inspired recipes.

I like to make shrimp and veggie fajitas. Similar to what @Geocitiesuser suggests, but I add fresh shrimp in at the end until it turns pink. I use whatever veggies I can find in my fridge, usually peppers, onions, mushrooms zucchini and squash and season with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. I eat them on corn tortillas (because I am gluten free) or in a bowl with rice and beans.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Another advocate for corn tortillas. In addition to be more conservative on calories they are also, usually, much lower in sodium.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I second the lower-carb tortilla and romaine or green leaf lettuce options. We have a restaurant around here that has the lettuce substitution as a fajita option listed on their menu.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    450 g plain greek yogurt
    1 packet ranch dressing seasoning mix
    62 g jalapenos (I used jarred)
    heaping spoonful minced garlic
    half a bunch cilantro

blend and use as a dip or to top other dishes in place of sour cream. it's my version of chuy's creamy jalapeno sauce. practically guilt-free, unless you eat a whole bag of chips with it (like I tend to :lol: )
  • alexmcastelli
    alexmcastelli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Use corn tortillas instead of flour. You can bake chicken in salsa and then shred. Add some black beans. And you can make shredded chicken tacos for low calories/fat. You can also make shredded chicken tacos in the crock pot. I always add avocado because that makes everything better. I skip the cheese. There are also these baked tostada shells that are really low in calories and fat if you feel like something crunchy.

Can you share your crockpot chicken taco recipe?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Mushroom (or zuchinni) fajitas are a favorite of mine.

I LOVE mushrooms so thank you for sharing recipe!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Try stuffing poblano peppers with your favorite blend of cheeses and/or meats and bake. A nice alternative to the typically fried chile relleno. There's a restaurant by me that does this using a piccadillo as the stuffing. So. Good.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with fajitas, especially on reduced calorie, high fiber tortillas. I also made tacos out of shredded chicken or ground turkey pretty often.