Late evening carb cravings

Options
katgrz
katgrz Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm kind of a noob and need some help. I'm struggling with late evening cravings. Whenever I eat eat at or below my calorie limit for the day, I end up with massive cravings for carbs (mainly, breads) in the late evening. Any recommendations for an alternative snack to eat when these cravings start or other methods to fix the issue so I don't end up eating a ton of breads and essentially blowing my calorie goal for the day? Not sure if maybe I need to raise my calorie limit and eat more during the day so I don't get that hungry feeling in the evening.

Much appreciated!

Replies

• LyndelHarlemanKrissyPettit
    Options
    Try a low carb taco salad,without the chips of course. Lean ground beef and tons of lettuce and veggies.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Move away from the kitchen! I'm a snacker too, and it's waaaay too easy to grab a couple of cookies or a handful of chips when I'm so close to them. I go upstairs and read.
  • katgrz
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Move away from the kitchen! I'm a snacker too, and it's waaaay too easy to grab a couple of cookies or a handful of chips when I'm so close to them. I go upstairs and read.

I wish I could say that I satisfy these cravings with a quick grab of a snack, but I have gone as far as going through the trouble to make pancakes to satisfy these urges. :(
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If its boredom snacking:
    then something very low calorie and time consuming to eat.
    and not having easy-to-grab quick calories in the house.
    or go out and do something in the evening instead of sitting at home.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Three things worked for me.

1. I don't eat breakfast or anything for a few hours after awakening. That leaves more calories for a later meal. I eat two largish meals in an eight hour window.
    2. I used a reasonable weight-loss goal. If you have less than 20 pounds to lose, set to "lose 1/2 pound per week." If between 20-50, set to "lose 1 pound per week."
    3. I go to bed early (by 9) and get up early (around 4:30-5AM). I used to stay up late - when I did I had problems with snacking. If I eat supper around 4-5PM and have a good amount of protein, fat, carbs I'm good until bed.

All of this.

Plus: I plan on ending my day with some air-popped popcorn and pre-log my day around it in there. It takes a while to eat, is starchy, and after I eat it, I floss and brush my teeth and am done for the day. It really helps.

I too, have trouble with the late night munchy/carb monster. It's the only thing that really helps me.
  • katgrz
    Options

1. I don't eat breakfast or anything for a few hours after awakening. That leaves more calories for a later meal. I eat two largish meals in an eight hour window.
    2. I used a reasonable weight-loss goal. If you have less than 20 pounds to lose, set to "lose 1/2 pound per week." If between 20-50, set to "lose 1 pound per week."
    3. I go to bed early (by 9) and get up early (around 4:30-5AM). I used to stay up late - when I did I had problems with snacking. If I eat supper around 4-5PM and have a good amount of protein, fat, carbs I'm good until bed.

All of this.

Plus: I plan on ending my day with some air-popped popcorn and pre-log my day around it in there. It takes a while to eat, is starchy, and after I eat it, I floss and brush my teeth and am done for the day. It really helps.

I too, have trouble with the late night munchy/carb monster. It's the only thing that really helps me.

I do basically #1-4 as mentioned, but it still hits me. I will try air popped popcorn. I bought an air popper a few months ago and have used it a couple of times, but never thought to use it as an evening snack. Thanks for the great idea!
  • jecmontanez
    jecmontanez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you check you haven't got any vitamin/mineral deficiency? I used to have those cravings, but by addressing the low levels of Chromium, the carbs cravings have disminished significantly.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    For me adding a little protein like a small piece of cheese with my popcorn or crackers helps.
  • Spirit_Goose
    Spirit_Goose Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Simple Mills Muffin Mixes helped me. I try to avoid eating carbs at night but if you must, these are the way to go. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting to bed at a decent hour.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the first thing that goes on my daily meal plan is my evening bowl of cereal - about 180cal (with milk), hits the spot and I sleep like the dead
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue so I started to leave some of my carbs for later at night. I'm a big cereal fan so like @deannalfisher I make sure that is part of my macros a few times a week and that seems to help me significantly. Also, I will sometimes make a protein brownie and add some Halo or Enlighten ice cream and its like having a brownie sundae at about a quarter of the calories and great macros.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A piece of toast with a bit of PB smeared on it helps. It's warm and filling...takes a bit more chewing than something like a cookie.
  • suryoyo85
    suryoyo85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A piece fruit ( apple )or some veggie sticks ( carrot, celery or even broccoli)

Whenever I crave something at night ( even the day ) i eat a radish :wink:
    It turns me off on eating anything else
    It's redirecting
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

All of this.

Popcorn for me too. You make a set amount (that fits your calories) and you're done. Who doesn't need to floss after popcorn?
  • Jamaica4god
    Jamaica4god Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I pick a comfort food like Liptons Beefy Onion Soup, one that is filling and takes a while to eat.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My fav is Flat Out fold it flax. Chewy, little sweet, little salty,90 cals. Even better when it's buy one get one free. For a real treat, add a little schmear of almond butter and some crunchy zucchini slices.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    raw cabbage. essentially ~0 calories and is something to slowly munch on if it's just a boredom impulse while watching a movie.
  • natat326
    natat326 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to get food cravings really bad in the evenings especially carbs what helps me out with that is
    - protein I try and to get atleast 25g in every meal
    - I eat the majority of my calories for my evening meal I normally eat between 1200-1400 calories a day and normally keep about 700-800 for my evening meal
    - Exercise this for some reason seems to suppress my appetite I always feel more hungry in the evenings that I don't go to the gym compared to the nights I go to the gym
    - Taking vitamins and eating avocados added both things to my diet recebtly take 2 different multivitamins a day and I started eating half an avocado every day and since I started doing that I honestly don't have the urge to snack anymore