Healthy on a Budget

Options
lilrebelchild17
lilrebelchild17 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi y'all! I am new to the diet game, I usually last about a day and then delve into some chocolate. I live on a student's budget and was hoping that someone could give me some tips for healthy foods that are also cheap. Just vegetables around here are so expensive I can barely afford them. The only reason we have so much meat in our diet is because we raise and butcher our own chickens, hogs, and cows. And then there is deer season too....

Replies

• burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been poor so I dont say this flippantly ...

... but you will have to spend more to eat healthy. I'm sorry, it's the truth.

But a ton ... but more than junk food : /
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen fruits and veggies. They are usually more nutritious than fresh.
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lol, watcha complaining about? You've got bags of meat, you're pretty much half way there. Get some rice, potatoes, frozen veggies and you're set. You can throw in a few wraps in there too if you're feeling a lil funky.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have found that my grocery bill has gone down since I took the crap out of my diet.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and lentils, you have a cow you can make your own yoghurt, cottage cheese...etc. Frozen fruits and veggies are much cheaper than fresh especially when not in season. I'm guessing you live on a farm, trade meat for fruit with your neighbours.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Practice minimalism and sell anything that doesn't bring you joy at this present time.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to eat a healthier diet, chances are you will save money by not buying as many treats or eating out as often. If you raise animals, then you can focus on buying more plant based foods. Rice, corn, beans, nuts, seeds. If you have nearby farms that grow produce, check to see if they have a CSA, or at least contact them for a trade in with your meat like the above stated. Farmer markets are another great option.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you live near a big grocery store, usually the cheapest produce is the most in season and the best! (At least where I've lived in several large and midsized cities around the US, in a variety of chains like Wegmans/Albertson's/ HEB/Ralph's etc.)

You mention being a student - I've also found that grocery stores, especially small ones, near or on college campuses tend to be super expensive. If there's another option even a mile or so from campus it may be much, much cheaper.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but here in the US we have Trader Joes which you can get a lot of food for a reasonable price. CSAs and farmer's markets are great too. As others have said, legumes, rice, etc., are great options. Also, buy what's in season rather out of season. Here's a link if you're in the US http://www.cuesa.org/eat-seasonally/charts