Sceptical of the kCal count

Options
24in24
24in24 Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My ego loves my kCal counter. How could it not?. My better self thinks it's inflated.

I use Garmin product with a Wahoo TickR HR strap. I do "work" when I work out, however the reading seems a bit high, well, by a lot I think.

I rode for 45-50 minutes this morning, says I burned 3000kj or 850/900 calories.

Does that seem right? I check my HR data and I'm not popping out of my chest but the effort is evident.

Is this a matter others confront? If so, what has been the solution you've found and if you'd share it - that'd be great

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Seems very, very high.
    Are you a very high standard athlete/rider? (You would have to be!)

One possibility would be if you have an unusually high exercise HR.

Roughly speaking for me as some who is fairly serious but not exceptional rider I would estimate my rough numbers to be:
    3hrs to Century pace 500 cal/hr
    2hrs quick 600-650 cal/hr
    1hr very fast 720 cal

When I used HR for calorie estimates I customised the settings on my HRM with my tested HR Max and VO2 max.
    I then compared and calibrated it to a power meter indoor trainer which outside of a sports science lab is about the most accurate method.

Garmin (and Strava) estimates aren't generally too bad for me but tend to under-estimate on low intensity rides.
    As I'm not calorie counting anymore it's more out of interest these days.
  • 24in24
    Options
    It seems high, hence my questions.

My maxHR is 198, nothing unusually high about that and my HR averages 150-160's which is below my LT

As a rider, nothing exceptional. And the data from today is riding my flat bar, on a flattish terrain, into the city- further adding to the skepticism

I find that I'm halving the reading, which is more of having a better conscience about what data I put up, and to balance against the energy I'm consuming through food

I appreciate the input - thank you kindly

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 mile loop around the nearby lake that I ride after work some days. To cover it in about 30 minutes costs me ~225 kCal, from a power meter. A little more or less depending on the wind and traffic conditions, but always around there. Probably 150 to 200 feet of vertical.
  • Heatherthecyclist
    Heatherthecyclist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Seems massively high
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    The only way to get that high calorie burn in that short of a time on a bike that i know of is if you were 350lbs+ which your pictures dont appear to support. So i would say that its just inaccurate.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Seems high, but it also depends on the person. Bigger body burns more energy at the same task (assuming intensity, duration are the same) than a smaller body.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The only way to get that high calorie burn in that short of a time on a bike that i know of is if you were 350lbs+ which your pictures dont appear to support. So i would say that its just inaccurate.

The speed you can burn calories on a bike depends on your fitness level, not your weight.
  • 24in24
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the collective input

I'll pay more attention to my bike with the power meter and use that as reference

Enjoying this journey!