Curious issue: waist size not changing with weight loss

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with their waist size not changing despite weight loss, and if you found anything that made a difference?

A few years ago, I lost almost 30lbs in under 3 months. The remarkable thing was, my clothes weren't any looser. Some things even felt tighter. I'm only 5'3" and was 160lbs to start. So, going down to 131 didn't change my appearance at all...just the number on the scale. (Memories of Homer Simpson trying on the baggy clown pants, and finding they fit perfectly.) (Also, the way I lost the weight plateaued, and I couldn't lose any more, despite trying very hard, over the years.)

I'm still "fat" (for me), but hadn't gained that weight back in the ensuing years. However, I was recently told I have a fatty liver, so it is imperative that I get this excess body fat off me (via an even healthier diet, which I hope will correct my liver problem).

I have been eating a (seemingly) very healthy diet for at least a decade. I eat mostly dark, leafy greens, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. (See? You can develop a fatty liver eating a plant-based diet that includes loads of greens.) I did eat carbs, though: flax bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and Raisin Bran, with a bagel here, or a glass of juice there. However, despite what I thought was a good diet, along with daily exercise, I found it impossible to lose weight, nonetheless.

Jump ahead...

I recently started a no sugar/low carb/high fat diet, and that finally seems to be working. I've lost 6 lbs and 2% body fat, so far. So, I'm cautiously optimistic. That said, I measured my waist today, just out of curiosity, and it's the same as it was when I weighed 160lbs. Still no change.

What gives?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Some places just lose later than others. Keep on doing what you've been.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Agreed, it's a little odd. I dropped over 40 lbs and only went down one pant size. In the past when I dropped this amount it was 2 sizes.
    Everyone seems to notice the loss, so I'm not complaining it just seems like the one size drop is not enough.
  • LexyGetsFitUK
    LexyGetsFitUK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Did you measure the rest of you too? Because I've barely lost any inches in my waist or bust/chest area either, but lots from my hips and thighs. I'm 5'2 and recently went from 149 to 120lbs. I'm hoping to see some changes in my waist when I lose the remaining 15lbs...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I think it took me 40 lbs. to lose an inch in my waist.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

It sort of makes sense in a way, The stomach area can hold the most fat on the body and is the last place most people lose from (trying to get those 6 pack abs).
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Could it be bloating? My step mum bloats easily with no weight change. She is still trying to work out what triggers it but some foods are worse than others.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Me too. Dang it's frustrating.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    Have you mentioned this to your doctor? Increased abdominal size which is unresponsive to weight loss along with your fatty liver, might be a red flag.
    This - could be just the way you're made, but there are also illnesses which cause this, such as Cushing's.

Belly fat is stubborn at the best of times, though.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with their waist size not changing despite weight loss, and if you found anything that made a difference?

A few years ago, I lost almost 30lbs in under 3 months. The remarkable thing was, my clothes weren't any looser. Some things even felt tighter. I'm only 5'3" and was 160lbs to start. So, going down to 131 didn't change my appearance at all...just the number on the scale. (Memories of Homer Simpson trying on the baggy clown pants, and finding they fit perfectly.) (Also, the way I lost the weight plateaued, and I couldn't lose any more, despite trying very hard, over the years.)

I'm still "fat" (for me), but hadn't gained that weight back in the ensuing years. However, I was recently told I have a fatty liver, so it is imperative that I get this excess body fat off me (via an even healthier diet, which I hope will correct my liver problem).

I have been eating a (seemingly) very healthy diet for at least a decade. I eat mostly dark, leafy greens, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. (See? You can develop a fatty liver eating a plant-based diet that includes loads of greens.) I did eat carbs, though: flax bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and Raisin Bran, with a bagel here, or a glass of juice there. However, despite what I thought was a good diet, along with daily exercise, I found it impossible to lose weight, nonetheless.

Jump ahead...

I recently started a no sugar/low carb/high fat diet, and that finally seems to be working. I've lost 6 lbs and 2% body fat, so far. So, I'm cautiously optimistic. That said, I measured my waist today, just out of curiosity, and it's the same as it was when I weighed 160lbs. Still no change.

What gives?
    Losing weight is a matter of calories in vs. calories out. I'd suggest using the tools MFP provides to come up with a calorie target and tracking your intake religiously, buying a kitchen scale to measure most things. Also, leafy greens, vegetables and even a percentage of most nuts and seeds are also carbs. Perhaps you meant natural vs. processed carbs?
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I lost 30+ and I lost 2 inches from my waist -- 7 inches of thighs and hips. It's frustrating!

I think it was the walking, cycling and rowing that did it.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My weight loss was the other way around- I lost 46 lbs and close to 10 inches off my waist, but I only lost an inch or two from my hips. I think it's just genetic predisposition.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    What is/was your activity level.

Last year, I went from 245 to nearly 265 to 240, and gained over an inch... because my activity level went down because I was waiting for a series of consults to confirm that my knee pain was just inflammation and not injury.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It is odd that your waist isn't reducing in some way. You must be losing heaps off your thighs or elsewhere. Keep on going, it might well be that your waist will be the last to reduce.

I lost 25lbs and went from a 31" waist to 25.5" which was down 2 to 3 dress sizes - we all store fat in different places.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I was wearing the same pants (and they weren't loose) in the 150s. Started in the 230s. That was maddening. Then, wham: big changes in size with little scale movement. Bodies are just weird.

You need to be in a calorie deficit, though, for continued loss. Plant-based or no, it is really a numbers game.
  • BenomBenjamin
    BenomBenjamin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone. I'm not alone, and some of you also saw little waist reduction. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'd measure more than your waist. Hips, chest, arms, legs. You should be losing somewhere.