Kickboxing classes for weight loss

Options
New gym open in my area called I love kickboxing. Tried my first class today and it was a great workout. Has Anybody successfully lost weight from taking these kickboxing classes?

Replies

• buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Many people will chime in but weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Exercise is not necessary (from a purely CICO standpoint). But it can provide mental and physical health benefits as well as making more calorie consumption possible. The best exercise is one you enjoy and will stick with!
  • mageets79
    mageets79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Buffalogal42 is correct, but ILKB classes are amazing and I must say I have more energy and a positive attitude with this kickboxing routine. You will notice a change in inches and how your clothes fit as you blast fat and exchange it for muscle. I am 6 weeks into the class and I am down a size in pants! I try to go 2-3 times a week and I run-walk in between. Good luck!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy kickboxing - it's a good workout. I don't know that it's a better workout than anything else for losing weight, necessarily, other than it's really FUN and it's both cardio and strength training.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    One caveat: Your typical cardio kickboxing instructor doesn't have very good form -- at least, not if you plan to defend yourself someday.

For the best results, I recommend getting some basic lessons on punching and kicking -- how to chamber a kick, how to twist into a punch, etc. Aside from helping you with self-defense, it will also ensure that you burn more calories during the classes.