Very Frustrated...

Options
So I did the first 17 days of the 17 day diet and here are my results:
I lost 6 lbs in the first 10 or so days. And got stuck... and then gained a lb, and another lb... And over the weekend I was back up to 1 lb under my starting weight. So I lost 6 and gained back 5. I am very frustrated. Not liking that diet.
So I talked to my personal trainer and he said that i was probably not eating enough, even though I was following the diet, i did start up with him about the same time i started and was exercising a lot more than was recommended on the first 17 days. So I am SUPER frustrated.
I was doing everything right, for pete's sake! Exercising more, eating right, and less. And because I was doing everything right, but TOO MUCH, i failed. :( I haven't given up by my confidence is shaken. :(
Any ideas?

Replies

• Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I had a few weeks like that.... Wish I had some advice! The weight came off when IT was ready & not one nano-second before. :grumble:
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You haven't failed yet! Take the trainer's advice seriously about eating more and keep with it. You're down a pound (better than up a pound)...build off this. I tell my students every year: a setback (like a bad test...or a bad weigh) is only a defeat if you let it be a defeat. You can do this if you keep at it!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to your trainer. Chances are your body was holding on to whatever you were putting into it, because you were burning so many calories. Has your trainer gone over a food plan with you?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Granted I do not know the specifics of the 17 day diet, but anything called the 17 day diet is a fad, my advice, don't do it. Log your calories, stay within your goal, work out, eat right, eat bad in moderation and you will lose weight.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    You haven't failed yet! Take the trainer's advice seriously about eating more and keep with it. You're down a pound (better than up a pound)...build off this. I tell my students every year: a setback (like a bad test...or a bad weigh) is only a defeat if you let it be a defeat. You can do this if you keep at it!
    I couldn't agree more - Well spoken my man
    You are doing great - stick with it and you WILL succeed - TRUST me on that one ;0
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I will say to you that all you need is just follow the plan that MFP gives you and follow carefully you daily calorie intake, stay out of junk food and drink lots of water. Your weight is not gonna go off the next day like they say on those TV commercials like the one you did. Just stay with MFP plan and you will get to your goal as we all did. You can do it. :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    the very first thing that comes to mind is are you eating your exercise calories?

some people can lose without but i am not one of them. you might not be either. try netting 1200 a week at least and see where that puts you.

also, most of the first 6 pounds was probably water weight. its very unlikely that you burned 6 pounds worth of fat and then added that fat back on.
  • pixieyogagirl
    Options
    The 17 day diet was pretty much eat lots of veggies, some fruits, lots of lean meats, yogurt, etc. It was pretty much what any diet is. I thought it would be good. :(
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Today is Cycle 2 Day 17 for me on the 17 Day Diet. The book specifically limits your exercise in the first 17 days because the nutritious, CLEAN, healthful food during that first cycle is structured to give you seriously reduced calories, and with literally NO carbs in the first 17 days, you didn't have the fuel you needed to exercise at that level.

I lost 10 lbs in the first 17 days, I've lost 4 or 5 lbs (will know at tomorrow's weigh-in!) in this 2nd cycle. It's a perfect plan for someone like me who was basically sedentary until I started this. I'm slowly increasing my exercise as the cycles increase my intake and that combination seems to work for me.

I'm so glad you've got a trainer - I'm sure he could "tweak" the 17 DD plan for you - it's an excellent plan but at a high level of exercise you definitely need to add more in, maybe jump straight to Cycle 3?

Good luck and keep your chin up! Even if you are just a pound down, I'd LOVE to know what your measurements did during that time! Bet you are looking better and feeling better, even if the scale isn't quite showing it yet!

:drinker:

Ice