Love letter to my dog Lilli, the dog that saved my life (part 1)

Options

Replies

• Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, but so happy that you gave Lilli such a wonderful life. Dogs (and cats) have a way of wiggling into our hearts and taking a piece of it with them when they go. Hugs to you and your wife, I know you guys are hurting right now.
  • rosiegirl2010
    rosiegirl2010 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    She is not gone, just gone on ahead. she is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss :'(
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm in tears. A beautiful tribute to a special dog.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Sob! This is lovely - both you and Lilli were lucky to have each other.

http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    :'(

Many of us know this feeling well. We still haven't gotten our next (inevitable) dog because we're still mourning our last one. I'm so sorry, and I'm glad you have such sweet memories to sustain you.
  • mlp111206
    mlp111206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to save the second half for when I get home. I am literally crying at work right now. I mean, big fat tears rolling down my face. I am soo sorry for your loss but extremely happy for the relationship and bonding you and Lilli experienced. I know exactly how you feel as we lost our dog Katy last December due to kidney failure. Thank you so very much for sharing your story
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I'm teary eyed reading this. My black lab Chloe is about 9; getting a little slow and it tears me up.
    Chloe has been wonderful, because of her we now have 3 dogs and I smile every day because of them, because of Chloe.
  • tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My condolences on your loss. Animals have a special way of entering our lives. I do believe that when it is our time that we will be with our pets once again.

Sending heartfelt wishes your way!
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness...this is utterly heartwrenching and beautifully written. I'm so sorry for your loss, but so glad that you found each other and were able to enjoy so many wonderful years together.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    This is rough I know. Its never easy. What a great letter! I'm crying as well. Three years ago my two dogs went at the same time. They lived with each other for so many years that it would be hell. Its such a hard decision and you are never ready, but she clearly was. You owe her the dignity and you did it right. Never question that.

I have never loved anyone or anything like my Anakin and never will again for as long as I live.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this should have had a trigger warning. Beautiful tribute.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, for sharing that. Lilli was a lucky girl, and you gave each other so much.

And now I'm sitting here, missing my Lacy so much it aches. She's been gone 7 years, and I still think about her every day. Some dog/human bonds never, ever break.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    That's gut wrenching and I read the whole thing with tears in my eyes. I've been there with my 17 year old sheltie mix. I was there until the very end at the vet. She will always live in my heart. Even years later and with two dogs in the house now, I still miss her. The only fault dogs have is that they have such short lives compared to ours.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful tribute.
  • purpleychick
    purpleychick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not crying YOU'RE crying.

ok i'm crying.....
  • xx_steph_xx
    xx_steph_xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    laurimaki wrote: »
    cont....(part 2)

I couldn’t even start to guess how many walks we’ve went on, how many miles we’ve tread, but all I know is that what we’ve done together is nothing short of amazing. I would’ve carried you for 10 miles if you’d let me, but all you needed was .4...I set you down with about 50 yards left, and you finished our walk, our last walk together. You did it baby! We did it, together as always. I lifted you back up into the SUV and we went on our way. Next stop was McDonalds...you again rested on my lap, but when Sara went into the restaurant, you got up as fast as your old legs would let you and you stared out the window for 10 minutes until you saw her again. You really do love your mom! We went back to the house, it was now 1pm...your favorite vet was coming at 3pm. We had 2 hours left. I tried to feed you some fries, of course you were not into them and you only ate a couple. I got some plain double cheeseburgers, one of your old favorite treats, and to my surprise, you scarfed a couple of them down, but refused a third. You wouldn’t eat the ice cream afterwards, but don’t worry, your brother Balto finished yours. Go figure, right to the very end, you were my food snob Lilli. After you ate, we had some more cuddling and I loved you the best way that I know how. Once the vet arrived, you were a little reluctant to join our circle, but you eventually did. When the needle went into your vein, you panicked for a second or two, until you found my eyes. I cuddled you hard, but not too hard for you, as you never looked away from me, a very intent gaze, as if saying your final farewell. You finally put your guard down, and rested. It took me a while to let go of you, I even helped carry you out of the house. But I took my blanket back that they used to cover you, and snuck a few more kisses and paw squishes. You always wanted me to be happy, you truly are the most selfless dog I’ve personally ever known. You would’ve suffered until the end of your days, just to prevent as much sadness for me as possible.

The thing is Lilli, today was perfect. You got to go for a ride, even just a short one, because you were able to ride. You got to go for a walk, even just a short one, because you were able to walk (for the most part...I secretly think you were mad when I picked you up...I’m not sure if that was because you wanted to tough it out until the end (don’t worry I know you’re tough), or if you finally realized how easy it could have been for you all of these years if I had just carried you on all of our walks ;) ). You got to eat cheeseburgers, even just a little, because you still could. You got to snuggle, A TON, because I made you! lol. You gave us your love, a ton of it, because you still could. You did that each day, and every day, even with your struggles. I wanted you to go out like the proud dog you are, not having to suffer until it would’ve been way harder on both of us.

Today was the day Lilli, we got to spend one last morning and day, one of thousands of days, that were all amazing...but now you can finally rest. Your limitless love and selflessness to make sure we were all happy is something I will always treasure. I’ve never met a dog like you in my life, you are special. As your mom said, I will always want one more day, but for only having one more day, today was one of the best. I will never forget you, you meant the world to me Lilli. You literally saved my life, and gave me a friend I will never forget…I know you felt the same. I will forever be grateful for what you’ve given me, my very own “man’s best friend”, and a second chance at life. I can genuinely say that without you bothering me every day the first year of my journey to better health and finally lighting the flame under my butt that I needed, I would probably be dead right now. You’re not just a good dog, a good girl…you were the best. I love you Lilli. You put all of your remaining energy into the best farewell I could have imagined. There are a million more things I could write about you, but it's time. I was not ready to do this today, I don't think I ever would be. There is already an emptiness in my heart, and it literally aches because you are gone.

They say certain dogs are meant for certain people...and you were definitely meant for me. Not being greeted with your happy face and wagging tail when I wake up or enter the house will take some time for me to deal with. The first walk without you...I can't even talk about that. It's way harder for me now that you're gone, but it's finally easy for you, you can now stop fighting every day just to make me happy, and finally rest in peace my sweet baby, my Lilli, you deserve it.

With Love Always,
    Your Dad

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm crying crazy ugly tears at work. I'm so sorry for your loss. Lilli came into your life for a reason. YOU came into Lilli's life for a reason. Such a beautiful tribute. <3:'(
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My Bf and I lost our dog last fall and we are still greiving her loss. When my BF and I moved in together he brought along Lolo, his 14 y/o Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix that he had since she was a pup. She helped him through many health issues and a divorce. When I met her she was very timid, already having kidney failure, mostly blind from cataracts, and her breath smelled like dead fish, but I fell in love with her the first time I met her. God I miss that dog! Everyday we walk her loop around the park to keep up all the good habits she taught us. She was a lot of work because we live on the 25th floor and she had to be carried down in the elevator every 2-4 hours because she was losing bladder control, but we did it, and we loved every minute of it. She taught me that I have an infinite amount of patience I never dreamed existed and what it means to be unconditionally loved by a dog (I also have cats but they are different). Pets make us better people, and even though their loss is terribly hard they give us so much in return that it is worth it. She'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge when the time comes and you will be together again.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness :'(
    I'm so sorry <3