Pre Workout Protein Shake Timing

Options
I've been having issue with dizzyness during my strength training and yoga on T/Th's . I'm not exactly sure the reason, MWF I usually eat dinner by 6 and on T/TH I'm not home till after 7:30 so my body may just be expecting food at that time. Regardless I've done a protein shake before my workout a couple times and it does seem to help a bit. I'm curious if there is an optimal time to drink it. 60 mins before, 30 mins, 15 mins - any thoughts on this? TIA

Replies

• SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    ummm i would usually drink mine within 30 minutes of my workout, but lately i've been drinking it after my workout because they say the protein in it will help with the muscle repair so i've been drinking it within 30 minutes after..just my two cents :)
  • hellhammer
    hellhammer Posts: 45
    Options
    THEY say 15 minutes before exercising is the best window to take it , remember it liquid not solid it gets used pretty quickly
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd recommend eating a snack combining healthy fats and complex carbs (i.e. some combination of fruits and nuts, a little oatmeal, something like that) about half an hour to an hour before your workout and then having the protein shake after. It sounds like your blood sugar is dropping during the workout. But if having the protein before the workout works for you, then just play around with it until you figure out how long you have to wait after drinking the shake before you can work out without feeling sick/too full.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    You need carbs as well as protein in both your pre and post workout nutrition. While Protein helps with tissue repair, carbohydrate is the energy source that fuels the muscles through the workouts you're doing.

A 2;1 ratio of carbs to protein is ideal fueling yourself 30-60 mins before the workout, and Immediately following your workout.

I just posted an article on this earlier today.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/advanced_workout_nutrition.htm
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of protein, and it's absorption rate. Whey isolates, hydrolisates (sp?), concentrates, different types of soy, hemp, they all absorb at different rates. You can check out the info on the specific protein powder you are using.

But I agree with the person above me, who sat eat something carb-ey before workout. A piece of fruit around 45 minutes to half an hour pre-workout is great for me... like a banana on a piece of whole wheat toast, with some peanut butter. If you have the calories for it, and you're working out hard, that's my absolute power snack!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried the snack (carb protien combo variety) and that really didn't work for me. Not too sure why. Possible because I only have room for 100 cals as a snack at that time and that's probably not enough. I think I may be getting more bang for my buck with a 100 cal protien shake vs a 100 cals of food.