advice for an over-protonator

Options
bprague
bprague Posts: 564 Member
So I've been been having issues with shin splints lately (I run in nike free) and finally got fitted by a running shoe store. They did the whole treadmill thing and it seems that I'm over-protonating like a mofo. I was fitted into some very nice shoes and a small fortune later, here I am.

However, I hate running in shoes. I want nothing more than to run in vibrams. But I also have to wait for my shins to heal and still want to run (thus expensive shoes).

Would running barefooted or in vibrams aggravate my over-protonation, or would it actually be better for it? This is assuming I wait for my shins to heal up.

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I would love to have cute running shoes or lighter ones but alas, I must wear my heavy looking ugly Brooks.

They made a world difference for me. I had pain in my left knee and as soon as I started wearing these Brooks, it went away.
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I over pronate badly too and have done for 13 years without much correction. Now real problems with my knees so can only wear my running shoes or Birkenstocl sandals, I am sure you can get them in the US too. Have a look, but please don't run without your shoes you will only make the problem worse. I am not even allowed to walk around the house in bare feet now!

Good luck
  • Minilover36
    Minilover36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I dont think running with vibrams/barefoot would be a good idea. If you overpronate then you will do it with or without shoes(unless designed for overpronation) and will only cause more problems.
  • c_dudley
    c_dudley Posts: 14
    Options
    Coming from someone who had the same issues, even after being fitted by the Running Shoe Store, I still had shin splints. Make sure you ice your shins a few times a day, especially right now when you need to heal. If you are in a bunch of pain, take a few Ibuprofen or Aleve. I got a pair of minimalist shoes, they are made by Merrell. I love them. I went through my Academy and when I ran, I just had a pair of cross trainers and never got shin splints. I think I have it pegged to I was running at a pace that was too fast for what I am trying to accomplish. I also got a book on running, which is coincidently called "Complete Book of Running". I got it off of eBay for a steal. Feel free to add me. I know what you are going through. Do not try to run or jog right now. You will only injure yourself further, again, speaking from experience. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps!