Couch to 5k

Options
Hi all, I am looking to start running. I tried it last year, took me about 9 weeks to run a mile without stopping so pretty slow going.lol.
Anyway has anyone tried a couch to 5k program they would recommend that could get me there faster?

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I started doing it but could not stand doing it by time for some reason. tic... toc... tic... toc... It made the time seem so long for some reason.

I just modified it to go by distance instead. For example... one day I would run to the next park bench further than the the day before. Or the next tree or fence etc.

I went from only being able to run for about 30 seconds to being able to run 5 miles in about 6 months I think. Never really kept track of how long it took, but I know if I push myself a little further each time I will increase my distance over time.

I'm not in a hurry though.

It is a good program though and you can modify it any way you like, because basically its just making you push yourself a little each time.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I started doing it but could not stand doing it by time for some reason. tic... toc... tic... toc... It made the time seem so long for some reason.

I just modified it to go by distance instead. For example... one day I would run to the next park bench further than the the day before. Or the next tree or fence etc.

I went from only being able to run for about 30 seconds to being able to run 5 miles in about 6 months I think. Never really kept track of how long it took, but I know if I push myself a little further each time I will increase my distance over time.

I'm not in a hurry though.

It is a good program though and you can modify it any way you like, because basically its just making you push yourself a little each time.

Thanks!!! I was thinking about trying it by distance, like half a block further or something each day.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can use the C25K app, but that will take you at least 9 weeks to complete. The program is very effective though.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    The c25k program is very effective, but you can do it yourself without needing to time your intervals. One way is to find a 3 mile route. Start with a few minutes walking to warm up. Then jog slowly until you can't run any more. Walk until you catch your breath, then start jogging again. Do this for the whole 3 miles. Rest a day. Then do the same thing again. Over time, you should find yourself able to run for longer and longer periods and walking less. The key to running more is to run really slowly. You may actually be able to walk faster, but keep trying. With time, speed will get better. Don't run every day, as it takes time to get your bones, muscles and tendons used to the impact of running. Three or four days a week is a good place to start. When you can run the whole three miles, start extending the distance. Just keep the pace slow and easy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am looking to start running. I tried it last year, took me about 9 weeks to run a mile without stopping so pretty slow going.lol.
    Anyway has anyone tried a couch to 5k program they would recommend that could get me there faster?

C25K has two variants, time and distance. The vast majority of people seem to find the time based works.

It's designed to push your progress whilst minimising your injury risk.

I used it about five years ago, and now run marathons and ultras reasonably regularly.
  • pippahgte
    pippahgte Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    C25k is absolutely brilliant
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    Group of us here using the app, different levels of fitness and different stages - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120724-c25k-couch-to-5km-2017-app-users
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did the NHS couch to 5k and would definitely recommend it
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of C25K and would recommend it without reservation. I've tried to take up running several times in the past and never been able to make it past the first week or two. Looking back I realize it was largely because I pushed too hard to fast. I was already pretty active when I tried C25K this time, cycling, elliptical, weights etc, so the first two weeks seemed way too easy. I did them anyway because I was afraid of stressing my body out too much as I have done in the past, and giving up again, and I'm glad I did it that way. My run today was hard (2, 10 minute running intervals with a short walking break in between), but it wasn't so hard that I couldn't finish it. I did 20 minutes strait at the end of week five, I've never been able to run that long before.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works if you stick with it. :) I started with C25K a little over a year ago and I am at half marathon distances now. I had to repeat several week at the beginning but I eventually got there. Don't give up!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use the Run Double app, for which you can select time or distance. I started on March 27, and ran a 5K on May 28 (last Sunday). I think the 9 weeks went by pretty quickly, but Run Double does allow you to easily skip workouts. You have to pay after a trial period, but I think it was less than $5 and it has additional running programs (like a bridge to 10K).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I used this one: https://www.active.com/mobile/couch-to-5k-app

A lot of my friends like the NHS podcast series if you would like something that's free and are okay with it not being very interactive.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really love C25K. I find the timer piece keeps me accountable and gives me a good idea of where I can increase my speed. For example I'm on Week 3 Day 2 and today I increased my speed on my two 90s running intervals, paced myself for my two 3m intervals and then I've been pushing myself at the end so I actually ran another 7m consecutively after. I walk 1k before and after the app time and right now my route is about 5.4k and I'm down from 55m to 49m with hopes of working to run the entire thing eventually!

Feel free to add me if you get into C25K :)
  • MazzyToday
    MazzyToday Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love it. Even the "jumps" in time that seem daunting are doable. I had trouble with 30 seconds of running, but I am doing fine now that I get that it isn't a sprint. And I was NEVER athletic, so it isn't like I have hidden muscle or endurance.