Pain in the knees

Options
Sorry to post such a negative thing but my knees have been a problem for a while now. I have seen several dr and they all say I am to young for replacement. I have done alot of shots and physical therapy and still suffer with pain swelling and stiffness. I miss not doing things i love including yoga. Most days i want to just hacksaw them off. I am having a hard time staying active and when i do i pay for it later. Dont mean to be a downer but so very frustrated angry and SAD. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• noordinarygenie
    noordinarygenie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand you. I also have knee problems and I hope as this journey progresses, my knees will feel better. I hope yours do, too.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on right knee not a replacement but i think my knee is worse know then before. Has a orthopedic doctor looked at your knees they want to put a wedge in my shoe to keep my knee from going outward. Im also to young so they say for a knee replacement. Losing weight before did help some but we cant take the damage away but we can take some of the stress off of them.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain- literally. I'm on the list for one possibly double replacement. :#
    I can't stand or walk for any length of time.
    Here's what I've found is helping - bicycling! :)
    I have a desk job so I bought myself a DeskCycle which I love. I take it slow and it gets my knees flexing and loosened up without pain. Once they loosen up I increase my heart rate and get some cardio in without anyone the wiser.
    And now that the weather is nice I take my bike to work and go for a 30 minute ride at lunch.
    My knees still ache and there are nights it's hard to sleep but it's getting better and I feel like I'm slowly taking back control. I want to be as prepared as I can for that surgery.
    I started on MFP April 10 this year weighing 288 lbs. - I've lost 22 lbs since then :)
    Have you tried cycling at all - even real slowly?
    I hope you can find some relief !!!!
  • KateA2017
    KateA2017 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and insight. I also have a bike that i use havent taken it with to work but might try that. I have to admit the physical therapy is helping and getting my weight back under control will help too.
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I too have a knee problem. I have had problems with it and found out recently my knee is bone on bone. Which is tough to walk a long ways. And I'm over weight and orthopedic doctor wants me to loose 50 lbs before surgery.
    I am a out going person so yes this has knocked me down but it has not stopped me from moving forward and staying positive. I bought a stationary bike. I ride it 35 minutes each day even though I have pain. I also do other exercises and eat healthy, no processed foods. Food prepping and drinking lots of water.
    Have no idea when my surgery will be but I am looking forward to getting passed it all so I can be camping, hiking and enjoying family trips.
  • andyzee69
    andyzee69 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems too. I go to physio, but losing weight seems to be doing more than physio does. However, if you want to strengthen your knees, try doing some very light squats, as this will make the muscles around the knee stronger. But don't do full squats, as you need to take it carefully at first.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    KateA2017 wrote: »
    Sorry to post such a negative thing but my knees have been a problem for a while now. I have seen several dr and they all say I am to young for replacement. I have done alot of shots and physical therapy and still suffer with pain swelling and stiffness. I miss not doing things i love including yoga. Most days i want to just hacksaw them off. I am having a hard time staying active and when i do i pay for it later. Dont mean to be a downer but so very frustrated angry and SAD. Thanks for listening.

What type of exercise are you doing to strengthen the quads and hamstrings in order to reduce overall stress on the knee capsule?
    Also, PM me and ill link you an audio for pain relief that's good for 99% of the people who've used it. ;)
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any supplements to help? My husband is a mechanic and his knuckles hurt all the time. He was taking Osteo Bi-Flex and it helped him out considerably, even while at work his hands didn't hurt. I know knees are different but it might be worth a try. Now days he doesn't take them and his hands have gone back to hurting... If only he'd make it a habit :wink:

We found them at Walmart and I have seen them elsewhere, but here is the link for information on the different supplements.
  • KateA2017
    KateA2017 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Was gone for a bit but thanks for all the great suggestions
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I understand this I have constant joint pain. Most days my back hurts so bad it's so hard to walk. I feel like my body shouldn't feel like this being so young but I feel like I have the body of a 50 year old.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I can so identify! I have severe osteoarthritis and a limited range of motion in my legs (90 degree bend is the best you're gonna see out of me). My legs are a good 30 years ahead of my age, and replacements aren't going to happen for at least another 15 years. Here are my hot tips:
    - Synthetic cartilage injections have helped me (Euflexxa). Steroids didn't do jack.
    - Bio Freeze is the bomb. Buy stock and spray that stuff as soon as you're done moving.
    - I find that heat helps my joints feel much better.
    - Activities that are LOWER impact are better for me. Swimming > biking > walking > running. Running isn't going to happen, my orthos have made this clear (short of a life-threatening situation, running is a no-go). Try new stuff. This summer on vacation, I paddleboated, did the stand-up paddleboard, tubed, kayaked, hiked, jet skiied and swam. It was awesome. Btw, swimming is a NO IMPACT activity.
    - Personally, I have found that a body at rest stays at rest...which was all the time when I was bigger. I'm not going to sugar-coat it, losing weight DOES make a huge difference. It doesn't cure OA by any means, but I am much more active now than I was 240 lbs ago. (Swimming played a huge role in this).
    - Determination comes into play. I do many things that shock my doctors. Several years back a doctor told me she couldn't believe I could even bike with my knees as bad as they are. PFFT, I do triathlons. (I walk the run). Sure, sometimes I hurt like crazy the next day, but what an adventure I am having!
    - Anti-inflammatories are helpful too.