Murph!

Options
2»

Replies

• ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't CF, I attend a free Saturday class tho. I did do the Murph yesterday at the box. I loved it!! I've never done a kipping pull-up, I did a few sets of straight (band assisted) arm pulls, I watched my friend kip and was able to get it down!! Those flew by once I figured it out!! It was such a high after. Can't wait to do the next one! Was so honored to finish, I don't know my time, it was less than an hour.
  • hockeymom9294
    hockeymom9294 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Second time doing Murph. Ran 800m, 20 rounds of 5 jumping pullups, 10 box pushups, and 15 squats, then another 800m run. Did it in 41:11 this year. Last year only ran 400m each time and my time was 43:00. It's always an honor to do Murph!
  • spartanhollis
    spartanhollis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    @erinhollis Great job! It is exhausting for sure! I've been in slow motion ever since.
    LOL! Gotta get back on that horse! Life is good after a crossfit workout
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Amys712 wrote: »
    phrobbert wrote: »
    JB035 wrote: »
    phrobbert wrote: »
    I don't do CrossFit but my local British Military Fitness group threw a murph into a "hell week" we did at the start of the month. I only managed half the prescribed crunches (100 instead of 200) and I needed someone to keep yelling at me to get me through 100 hand-release push ups. I hate crunches, so very very much. I actually hate them more than burpees and I REALLY hate burpees!

@phrobbert Murph with crunches and HRPU sounds rough!

300 squats, 200 crunches, 100 HRPU's and a mile run on each end. 0_o I finished pretty much dead last of the entire group although to be fair, after a while everybody's form went completely to s**t. After doing all those pushups and then charging off for that last mile run I felt like my goddamn arms were about to fall off.

That wasn't actually the hardest session of the week though. Later on we had to do 100 burpees, 100 HRPU's, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and probably something else I've forgotten due to trauma. Oh, and run up a REALLY BIG HILL and back between each set. You've seen the mansion used as Wayne Manor in The Dark Knight Rises? That's where we did it.

That was a great week though.

Wow!

I have been tempted to try cross fit for the experience and to say I have tried it. So many people rave about it and those who do it are usually really fit. That session sounds insane though! No wonder cross fitters are ripped! Haha.

there are more beginner friendly workouts available.

Crossfit isn't something magical. It just combines HIIT style training with a mix of oly lifting and cardio style lifts- and actual cardio.

FFS- you can make up your own circuit if you want. Don't be fooled by the marketing campaign that is "crossfit"

"Marketing campaign"?
    Coulda sworn you people always said it was a "cult"?

cult- campaign- whatever floats your boat ;)

(although- not my cult LMAO- I powerlift)
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka
    I heard that! Strength training is my favorite part of our workouts.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Didn't run Murph this year because I now have to train on Mondays, but even then I've always had to scale to half Murph because of other nagging injuries. This year, I'm finally fully healthy and I stay on up on my mobility, but powerlifting comes first.

As a side note, anyone planning on attending the games in Madison in August? (I live 45 minutes east of Madison.) I volunteered for the event. I also passed the online judges course, so maybe I'll be out on the floor, if not my swag bag will be loaded.
  • jjnemmer
    jjnemmer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First time doing it...did it as prescribed minus the vest. 1 hr. and 9 minutes....running is my nemesis...the second mile took me over 11 minutes. Goal was under an hour but next year I will get it I think. Worst feeling was after 100 push-ups when I got a little bit of a high, then realized 100 more and I was down to 3-5 at a time. Great fun!
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    jjnemmer wrote: »
    First time doing it...did it as prescribed minus the vest. 1 hr. and 9 minutes....running is my nemesis...the second mile took me over 11 minutes. Goal was under an hour but next year I will get it I think. Worst feeling was after 100 push-ups when I got a little bit of a high, then realized 100 more and I was down to 3-5 at a time. Great fun!

Sooooooo weird that you posted this today. Out of a random spur of the moment thing, I decided to do it today instead of cardio. Never done any real crossfit program outside of just with friends when they invite me to train which makes it weirder.

Mile 1- 6:22
    5/10/15- 20x- about 19 minutes
    Mile 2- 6:49

Total time on my clock was 34:03. Added time included a much needed walk from the treadmill to the pull-up bar and back between the runs.

• jjnemmer
    Options
    Out of pure curiosity, you should try it again in a week or so and do it as prescribed (100, 200, 300) to see your time difference. I was contemplating doing it as you did but figured if I'm going to kill myself anyway might as well just do it straight through so I have a baseline...but I'm curious what the actual difference is. Not that I want to force you to do this behemoth twice lol.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    Out of pure curiosity, you should try it again in a week or so and do it as prescribed (100, 200, 300) to see your time difference. I was contemplating doing it as you did but figured if I'm going to kill myself anyway might as well just do it straight through so I have a baseline...but I'm curious what the actual difference is. Not that I want to force you to do this behemoth twice lol.

As prescribed as in 100 pull ups first then 200 push-ups then 300 squats? I was trying to figure out if that's how you were supposed to do it because I had some people tell me that was officially how it was supposed to be done, but online it sounded like you could just split it up how you'd like. That obviously would've made it take longer. I also didn't do it with the 20lb weight vest.
  • jjnemmer
    Options

As prescribed as in 100 pull ups first then 200 push-ups then 300 squats? I was trying to figure out if that's how you were supposed to do it because I had some people tell me that was officially how it was supposed to be done, but online it sounded like you could just split it up how you'd like. That obviously would've made it take longer. I also didn't do it with the 20lb weight vest.

Yes as Prescribed is technically 100 pull ups first then 200 push-ups then 300 squats WITH a vest. I didn't have a vest and I don't feel I'm ready for that yet...but you are also correct, breaking them up any way you can to get through is encouraged so people do it and don't shy away from it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Crossfit's main site always writes it as "partition the reps as needed", doing them straight through isn't the official standard. "If you have a vest, wear it"
  • Rammer123
    Options
    It was fun though either way. Literally dripping sweat the same way I would've been after doing an hours worth of cardio when I was like in my 2nd or 3rd round of the pull-ups/pushups/squats.

If I can get under 30 without the vest maybe I'll try and get lean (got a solid 15-20 pounds I could lose) and hit it next year when everyone does it, with the vest.
  • jjnemmer
    Options
    I guess I was just going by what my Box typically does for Murph...they do "Rx" as straight through but also give different strategies to break them up to those who want to. The beauty of the workout is no matter how you do it you are totally taxed after and feel super accomplished...even though some methods are "easier" than others...it's never easy...lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Yes as Prescribed is technically 100 pull ups first then 200 push-ups then 300 squats WITH a vest. I didn't have a vest and I don't feel I'm ready for that yet...but you are also correct, breaking them up any way you can to get through is encouraged so people do it and don't shy away from it.

It's not a 20 lb weight vest.

It's a 40 lb plate carrier...

If you want to do it "correctly"
  • jjnemmer
    Options

It's not a 20 lb weight vest.

It's a 40 lb plate carrier...

If you want to do it "correctly"

Well that just sounds fantastic...lol.