Good tasting protein shakes?

Options
Could you guys recommend a good tasting protein shake without a ton of sugar, or sucrose, which give me headaches? I thought it may have been a placebo effect, until I realized some flavored water I was drinking had sucrose. I love the slim fast French vanilla, but due to all the sugar, they just make me hungrier, and the low sugar ones have sucrose.

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You *could* use unsweetened whey protein (like Jarrow's) as a base and add your own sweetener.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural has no added sweetener whatsoever. Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The Vanilla option does have some sugar, and to me a rather overpowering amount of vanilla. Natural is lightly vanilla.)

I don't have it plain, though.

0c0ce6eafa343fc01ac868bebaa078e6.png

When I want it to have less calories, I leave out the flax seeds.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I like the unflavored Quest powder - I think that one might be close to what you're looking for?? I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe (US).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Could you guys recommend a good tasting protein shake without a ton of sugar, or sucrose, which give me headaches? I thought it may have been a placebo effect, until I realized some flavored water I was drinking had sucrose. I love the slim fast French vanilla, but due to all the sugar, they just make me hungrier, and the low sugar ones have sucrose.

I'm wondering if when you said 'sucrose' above you actually meant the lower calorie, artificial sweetener 'sucralose.' (?)
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use Labrada Lean body whey protein isolate. Both the chocolate and vanilla flavors are wonderful! I just mix with 8 oz almond milk and am ready to go.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I really like the Harvey & Coco Slinky shakes - banana and strawberry are particularly good. It doesn't contain sugar or sucrose, but does have sucralose; they have similar names but are completely different compounds (other than being a sweetener) so perhaps you won't react so badly to it.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    New Zealand Whey Pro Series is nice but $$$
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like the Isopure zero carb vanilla and cookies and cream powders.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    North Coast Naturals has one that's sweetened with Stevia Leaf Extract. Not sure how you feel about that option. It doesn't taste that great and does clump more the the other one I'm using, throwing it out there.

My wife uses the VEGA brand, seems to like it. Also Stevia though.

I might try mixing bulk whey with hot chocolate powder and see what happens. Probably a clumpy, brown mess, but oh well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    MRM Veggie Protein is sweetened with stevia. I've gotten accustomed to the taste of it after a difficult start, so I don't know if this is an actual recommendation or not.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com entries have flavor reviews, along with a really good search filter (can filter by price/serving, calories, carb g, fat g, protein g,..). If you have BCBS insurance, they are on the wellness card list.

Jym Pro Cookie crunch is tasty (160 cal/24g).
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love Quest Protein Powder, particularly the Cookies & Cream and Salted Caramel flavors. It's sweetened with sucralose, but not sucrose. (As far as I know sucrose is just another name for sugar.)
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Lower calorie/per g and the mocha cappucino flavor seems highly liked: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html?skuId=OPT3470086
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I love Quest Protein Powder, particularly the Cookies & Cream and Salted Caramel flavors. It's sweetened with sucralose, but not sucrose. (As far as I know sucrose is just another name for sugar.)

hmm.. 100 cal/20g and yummy...I'll have to try that when I finish off the wellness card. (Vitamin World does have it, but I only see 3 (other) flavors listed).
  • ritzvin
    Options

I'm guessing you mean "sucralose" (aka splenda) on the headaches. The 2 I listed above most likely have that unfortunately (sweetened, but low on carbs..other artifical sweeteners/stevia are much less common).
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Look up Muscle Milk Pro. It might suit your needs. 40 grams of protein, and low sugar. I really like it.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

hmm.. 100 cal/20g and yummy...I'll have to try that when I finish off the wellness card. (Vitamin World does have it, but I only see 3 (other) flavors listed).

They also sell single serving packets at places like GNC so you can try the flavors before you commit to buying the big canister.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Whey powder mixed with coffee and chocolate milk or mixed into a fruit smoothie. Core Power has a great tasting premade that is suagr based. Also a huge fan of the new nesquick protein chocolate milk.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry guys. I did mean to say sucralose, not sucrose. It gives me headaches every time. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.