Best app based lifting programs?

Options
I'm starting to lift and want something very structured and planned for my lifting program. I don't do well trying to think things up on my own. I need to be told what to do ;) What are the best app based lifting plans out there? I tried 5x5 a couple of times but was wondering if there were other app based plans that were better. I'm a complete and utter newbie, just starting with a gym, female, 33yrs, 125lbs and I want to look less jiggly and feel strong.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 has the best app for a beginner program that I found. And I looked at a lot.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 has the best app for a beginner program that I found. And I looked at a lot.

ditto.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use the app strong. It does not have a built in plan, but you're able to enter your own (or maybe it does and I've just never used it). I follow PHUL and entered the appropriate exercises/workouts and then it remembers my sets, last weights, tracks progression and has a timer built in that I can set. I've been happy with it. You can complete 4 lifts for free to see if you like it.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There's also Starting Strength app (it's what Strong Lifts was designed around), it's not free, but it will teach you.

I'd also recommend stronglifts if you want a solid program that will tell you what to do.

If you want to do Strong Lifts but don't like the feel of the app the best one I've found is Strong, it has an incredibly user friendly interface and you can just do what you want. It's $4 or something.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    531, 5x5
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Going to agree with the others and start with Stronglifts 5x5.

In the beginning focus on your form. I've been lifting for years, but two years ago hired a pro bodybuilder to watch and refine my form. She had me working with a broom stick for the initial sessions to get me to perfect the motions. Bad form can often be hidden under weights. Since then I'm lifting heavier than ever before and without injury.

Welcome aboard!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use Workit, which comes with a whole bunch of different programs you can choose from, it's pretty cool.

I'm running Starting Strength.
  • jyamiolk
    jyamiolk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started using fitbod and like it so far. I am using the free version for now. any comments on this app?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    "Strong" looks pretty good (I'm planning to test it out).

On the Starting Strength app, can you edit the number of sets/reps, add accessory work to it, edit the auto-progression increments, schedule in an auto-deload on the nth workout?

and not an app, but if you are using a paper notebook, and want to track on the computer (data entry later), this is by far my favorite (simple text entry in edit mode makes it so much quicker than every other site I've been on...I just wished they had a full history screen for each exercise instead of just the PR history). - http://weightxreps.net/
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    "Strong" looks pretty good (I'm planning to test it out).

On the Starting Strength app, can you edit the number of sets/reps, add accessory work to it, edit the auto-progression increments, schedule in an auto-deload on the nth workout?

and not an app, but if you are using a paper notebook, and want to track on the computer (data entry later), this is by far my favorite (simple text entry in edit mode makes it so much quicker than every other site I've been on...I just wished they had a full history screen for each exercise instead of just the PR history). - http://weightxreps.net/

Plus one for "Strong", best, most intuitive, flexible interface with graphs around. I highly recommend the few $ for it. I've been using it for almost 6 months now.