What % loss do you consider substantial?

Options
Cbaka27
Cbaka27 Posts: 35 Member
I am on day 71 of MFP and have lost 26lbs. That's just over 10% of my total body weight. Mentally I feel like I need to lose 40 lbs or 16% of my body weight to be substantial. Do you track % lost or just lbs. What is a substantial weight loss for you?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    How funny. When I read the thread title I calculated what % I lost and it was 16% (obviously I did not track % when losing). It seemed pretty substantial to me because it was more than 3 times what I'd ever lost before. But I think substantial could be pretty subjective. and personal.

26 lbs is awesome.
  • debisjazz
    debisjazz Posts: 115 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    26 lbs is amazing!!
    10% of your body weight is amazing!
    Whatever you use as a guide, I think you are doing great!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IDK...I lost 40 Lbs and 18% of my body weight. For me it was substantial...relative to someone losing hundreds of pounds, not so much. I think it's all relative.
  • eblyth00
    eblyth00 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm finally feeling like I am seeing and feeling a real difference and I just calculated and it was also 16%. But I have a significant amount more to lose. 45% total
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24.5% and it feels like a solid amount, but I will probably need to do that much again before I contemplate maintenance.

I think how much you have to lose is a huge factor.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Never really thought about it but since you brought it up, I had to do the math. I am now at 45% lost and I would say that is substantial. I guess the first time I personally felt like I had accomplished something significant was dropping below 250 and being closer to 200 than to 300.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's funny, i just did the calculation myself and i'm at 17% with a 40 pound loss, and I consider that substantial and have really started to see and feel the results.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think just turning around and heading in the right direction is substantial
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Well 10% is linked with better heath outcomes.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    32% loss so far with 35% as the goal. The last pounds are hanging on for dear life, but I'm happy with things so far. This is month 17 of logging.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Interesting view - I worked it out and am at 12% with a current goal of wanting to be 26% less than what I started at.
    I like thinking that I have over 10% of starting weight and seeing that I want to be a quarter down is cool.

B)
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've lost 73.5 lbs which is ab 34.5% body loss. 12 months of losing tomorrow
  • dale050467
    dale050467 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    55% was substantial for me.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    24.3% lost but I have to lose around 56% so while there are changes, they aren't drastic. I'm hoping the momentum will pick up past 30%.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The insurance industry uses a weight change of 10% in the preceding 12 months as a suspicious circumstance. That is, they'll sell insurance, but it will cost more. I'm getting up in years and I want to buy some new life insurance. It will cost more if I wait, but less if I wait to have one year of maintenance within a 10 lb range.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The insurance industry uses a weight change of 10% in the preceding 12 months as a suspicious circumstance. That is, they'll sell insurance, but it will cost more. I'm getting up in years and I want to buy some new life insurance. It will cost more if I wait, but less if I wait to have one year of maintenance within a 10 lb range.

Even if you went down, thereby making it less likely for one to need the insurance?
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    10% weight loss for me over a 5 month period - hoping to do the same over the next 6 months...
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I lost 56lbs - almost 30% of my total body weight. Whilst I didn't track it at the time I was losing, I did calculate it at certain points and when I reached my goal weight. And yes - it felt substantial! But it's all relative - losing just 3% more of my bodyweight now (3-4lbs) would feel equally substantial, but wouldn't bring as many hugely significant health related benefits as the first 10% did - which, funnily enough, did not at the time feel that substantial. Don't worry about whether your weight loss is substantial or not - concentrate instead on the fact that you're losing weight and improving your health and life expectancy - that's substantial!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!