What Do You Do To Motivate Yourself

Options
What does everyone do to motivate themselve to exercise?

For me I have to take my gym clothes with me and change at work before I leave. That way I am ready to go. I have to drive past the gym to go home and it is only a mile from my house but if I go home first it is hard for me to go back out.

When I leave from work ready to work out it is easier to make that turn into the gym.

Replies

• RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options

For me I have to take my gym clothes with me and change at work before I leave. That way I am ready to go. I have to drive past the gym to go home and it is only a mile from my house but if I go home first it is hard for me to go back out.

When I leave from work ready to work out it is easier to make that turn into the gym.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I motivate myself by having something that I wouldn't normally have if I didn't work out. Either a diet soda or bowl of ice cream. I know I shouldn't use food but the only way I get the treats is if I work for it.
  • MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise in the morning, about an hour after waking up. To stay on plan, as soon as I get out of bed I don't sit back down and always have clean work out clothes to jump into and out the door I go!!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I work out on my treadmill at home so my biggest problem is actually getting out of bed. I actually have arguments with myself in the mornings sometimes...out loud! "Ugh...it's early. I don't want to get up. I'll just stick to 1200 calories today. It'll be fine." "Oh? Reallllyyy??? You can stay fat, then. Is that what you want?" "Ugh. But I'm so tirrreeedddd..." "You'll feel better, you know you will...you always feel great all day when you get your four miles in. Come ON!" "%$$#@* FINE!"

Probably not the best self talk in the world and I likely need to be committed but if I make myself think about it (angel/devil, 2nd personality, whatever) I actually start to listen to my good reasoning. :laugh:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I keep a calendar everytime I think of something cool I want to do when the weight is gone I write it down ..its the same calendar i mark my weight on weekly...so Im always glancing at it and dreaming and adding more stuff to it...
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I was using my first audio cd for a book, Twilight, which I started right around the holidays in November and I have finished it, so (whoo hoo that was 11 hours - I only listened when doing cardio...so hard for me as I could've read the book in one sitting!) I found that a magazine took me farther than that did and my new book ( real book) has done the same, I was still on the bike at 30 min and was winded but seemed fast......................
  • RMUNTZ2
    RMUNTZ2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:50am, set up my laptop PC on a stand in front of my treadmill and walk at 10% grade at 2.7 mph, using a roller ball mouse I read the news and browse the MFP board for one hour each work day before hitting the shower and then to work.

I have been doing this for one month and I totally forget about time when I am reading. It is better than watching TV or watching anything on the PC.

I like reading long topics or stories because it keeps my mind off the damn counter on the treadmill.

This works for me. I do not feel like I want to stop like I did in the past.

Just got done having coffee and going to hit the shower then work

Everybody have a great day.

Rob
  • arhackney21
    Options
    i think about how many pounds i've taken offf and how much better i am starting to feel about myself. it makes me want to exercise all day long. i think about my weigh in day and how depressed i will feel if i haven't dropped a pound. ii think about how much better my close are fitting me. thats my motivation.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I keep a calendar everytime I think of something cool I want to do when the weight is gone I write it down ..its the same calendar i mark my weight on weekly...so Im always glancing at it and dreaming and adding more stuff to it...

That's an awesome idea!

I have to workout while I'm at work. There's a free gym here, but I find if I don't workout here, I'll go home and not workout at the apartment's gym either. Because when I go home after work, I just wanna go home!

But when the weather gets warmer, I run outside in the evenings, and that's usually been enough motivation for me.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options

THis is exactly what I do...:laugh:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:50am, set up my laptop PC on a stand in front of my treadmill and walk at 10% grade at 2.7 mph, using a roller ball mouse I read the news and browse the MFP board for one hour each work day before hitting the shower and then to work.

I have been doing this for one month and I totally forget about time when I am reading. It is better than watching TV or watching anything on the PC.

I like reading long topics or stories because it keeps my mind off the damn counter on the treadmill.

This works for me. I do not feel like I want to stop like I did in the past.

Just got done having coffee and going to hit the shower then work

Everybody have a great day.

Rob

I do something similar when I haven't worked out in awhile, and it's hard to get back into it - I bring my book and read while walking or doing the elliptical. After about a day or two of that, I'm motivated enough to run again!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I sleep in my workout clothes on the days I know I'm gonna have trouble waking up.
    When I'm jogging I give myself little pep talks on the last leg.
    Always have my mp3 player handy.

The best motivation is those mornings when I can slip on a pair of pants that didn't fit me the last time I tried to squeeze into them.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures of myself in my skinny clothes and see how good I looked. Can't wait to look that way again. :happy:
    I also keep a calendar showing all the days I work out and type of workout (strength, cardio, etc.). I like to be able to check off that I did it rather than crossing it off cause I got lazy. :yawn:
    I also like to look at the success stories on MFP and know that I'm not alone!
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    I have my alarm clock across the room that way I have to get out of bed to turn it off. Once I actually get up out of bed then I'm up for good.
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Take one look at my gut in the mirror..... :noway: :grumble: :sick:

That always makes me walk right past the fridge out to exercise! :laugh:

:glasses:

PS: I'm serious...
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    This year I set fitness goals and I keep a log on my facebook page.

Ride my bike 2000 miles this year
    Walk 312 miles this year
    Attend two BodyPump classes a week

So far, I am right on track...it is like a contest with myself and I am DETERMINED to win!
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My motivation is my summer holiday later on in August, walking on a beach in a bikini and not feeling like a beached whale!! Every time I work out I can picture my self getting closer and closer to that bikini body that I want.

When I was on hols last year, I felt like crap walking around the beach, not being able to wear what I want, my thighs rubbing together and casing me pain.. Then later on in the night I felt huge and even more self concious.. I don't want to feel that way ever again. :frown: Whenever I feel lazy and not in the humour to workout, I remember how bad and ****ty I felt and how I never want to go through that again..

Then my other one is my 30th birthday in December. I have spent at least 6 years of my twenties overweight and I want to start my 30's off properly!!
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Never thought about posting my weekly weight right on the wall calendar but I think I will start doing it now - what a good idea! I need motivation that is in my face :wink: