Elliptical

Options
Im getting an elliptical today and so excited! Only 8 more pounds til i change MFP to "maintain weight". So i am now trying to tone up and gain some muscle! How long is a reasonable time to do it everyday? I really want to firm my legs/butt..anyone seen great results from elliptical??

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    All of my weight loss to this point has been primarily with the elliptical. I only recently started incorporating other activities into my workout. I loves it!
  • nakiamoore
    Options
    I just purcahsed a exercise bicycle yesterday. good job
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I love the Ellip too. I started at 15 minutes a day and worked myself up to around 35 minutes a day. There have been times I have used it up to an hour at a time.
  • oldscratch
    oldscratch Posts: 146
    Options
    LOVE it.....used to be of those people that thought the ellip was not a "real workout", wrong. that thing kicks my butt every day....my workouts vary between 60-80 mins, and i switch between cardio and strength programs daily. good luck and enjoy!!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My pre baby weight loss journey consisted of almost all elliptical...LOVE it! Only reason I'm not on it more is because I don't own one and I'm no longer a member of a gym
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I do HIIT on the elliptical for 20 - 30 minutes depending on how much time I have. On weekends or when I'm off from work I do it longer because I have the time. Incorporating HIIT with that will really help boost your metabolism.
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My cardio comes mostly from this machine. I would do at-least 20 mins a day as it is optimum for cardiovascular improvement. It burns the same amount as jogging as long as your pushing yourself. The major mistake I see at the gym though are people not adjusting settings to increase resistance or training. I watch people just use it for 30 mins without even working up a sweat and then they never go back to it cause they think its useless. It is a great machine, make sure to use the programs on it.

I hope yours comes with a heart monitor! It is the best way to judge how your workout is going.
  • cindaboo1
    cindaboo1 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I Love my elliiptical dont know what I would do without it!! =) It's a great cardio workout and it works you legs just make sure increase the resistance on it as well. I also do HIIT on mine too between 20-30 mins depending on how much time I have at the time. But I think it's a GREAT investment!! What kind are you getting??
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    What is HIIT?
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I would guess HIIT is high intensity interval training
  • RanaIsLiving
    Options
    From what I've been told by various trainers, muscle toning is most effective through strength training. However, I would suggest maybe even the treadmill at an incline of 5 or more (also helps with lifting the booty)! Lol!!!