Natural Diuretics

Options
I'm looking for thoughts on foods or tips which work for others in helping the body keep off extra water? Obviously, avoiding too much sodium and drinking plenty of water will help with this...but what else works for you? Thanks friends!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are you currently retaining water or just trying to force your body to flush water? If it's the second that's not necessarily a good idea. Attempting to flush out water can result in an electrolyte imbalance. Our bodies are made up of significant amounts of water and the extra water is vital to the metabolism of body fat. If you are drinking adequate water and not going crazy with the sodium you're likely just fine.
  • marissa4mueller
    marissa4mueller Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay. So what I'm noticing is that, if I eat something particularly salty, say, for dinner, the next morning, my fingers are swollen and I've gained 1-2lbs water weight. I understand that this is a natural response for the body to have, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks to helping the body flush the extra water? Typically, what I do is drink more water, go for a run, or something similar.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Okay. So what I'm noticing is that, if I eat something particularly salty, say, for dinner, the next morning, my fingers are swollen and I've gained 1-2lbs water weight. I understand that this is a natural response for the body to have, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks to helping the body flush the extra water? Typically, what I do is drink more water, go for a run, or something similar.

What you currently do is the best method. Drink a little extra water and be active. The body will dump the water when it realizes that it isn't needed.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

What you currently do is the best method. Drink a little extra water and be active. The body will dump the water when it realizes that it isn't needed.

+1. Stop worrying about day to day fluctuations and focus on the long term. Water weight fluctuations are irrelevant and will work themselves out.

It may be useful to use a weight trend app such as Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) or Trendweight.com (web) to smooth out the hiccups in daily fluctuations. It lets you see what is going on in the big picture instead of worrying about day to day scale weights.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is a good natural diuretic.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with water retention, but I once drank 1.5 litres of iced green tea in around an hour and peed almost continuously for a good few hours afterward.

Never again.
  • AmbWalk64
    AmbWalk64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Celery is known to be a natural diuretic and has great fiber. Also, as someone else said tea is a great one and it always works for me.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Dandelion tea or greens will also work for water retention. Mostly you just have to be patient.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, Asparagus, Parsley