Is walking enough??

Hi I am trying to get my fitness back and lose a few extra pounds I've gained recently- I want to lose half a stone or maybe a bit more. The only thing is when I was pregnant I had massive problems with my pelvis and lower back and two years on this is still an issue, I've tried everyone but walking (at fast pace so I am sweating) is the only thing that doesn't hurt my back, I'm trying it build up to jogging but when I did that this morning it really hurt my lower back :s is walking enough to lose weight and tone up? I'm watching my diet too obviously and tracking cals!

I can do some weights but really light ones so I am trying to do a bit of that too - will this be enough? I'm worried I won't be able to lose any weight!!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,441 Member
    Weight loss is more about how many calories you consume.

• InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    All you really need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, and this can be created through diet alone so don't stress about not being able to do certain types of workout - none are essential for weight loss.

However! Walking is amazing exercise, if you enjoy it and it doesn't cause you pain then keep doing it!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The only thing you need for losing weight is a calorie deficit. Walking has great benefits for health and fitness though.
    I'd suggest you also see a physio about your back problems sounds like something you need to try to remedy now while you're still young, I'm doing this now when I'm early 50s and it's difficult!

All of this. When I started losing weight 4 years ago, walking waa my main form of exercise. (down 80 lbs now). Ultimately what does it is the calories, though, so you definitely want to concentrate on how many you are eating. Also, it might be a good idea to speak with a dr. regarding exercises that are good for you to do, and to make sure you aren't causing further injuries. Definitely don't want that!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Walking is brilliant for making dieting easier (gives you extra calories) because it's possible to do it for hours. It's also great for health. For weight loss, that can be done with or without exercise. For "toning" it's not the best, you need stronger muscle overload for that.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    There are many people that only have walking as their form of exercise. It's beautiful outside so you can enjoy fresh air on top of it! That's a pretty sweet deal. You're to achieve loss through a calorie deficit, but walking is an awesome low-impact form if exercise that shouldn't be underestimated.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Weight loss IS all about calories but if I add walking I can eat a much more humane amount of calories and remain in a deficit so yes it works but it's easy to out-eat your deficit if you don't know how much you are eating so track and walk gets my vote
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Hi I am trying to get my fitness back and lose a few extra pounds I've gained recently- I want to lose half a stone or maybe a bit more. The only thing is when I was pregnant I had massive problems with my pelvis and lower back and two years on this is still an issue, I've tried everyone but walking (at fast pace so I am sweating) is the only thing that doesn't hurt my back, I'm trying it build up to jogging but when I did that this morning it really hurt my lower back :s is walking enough to lose weight and tone up? I'm watching my diet too obviously and tracking cals!

I can do some weights but really light ones so I am trying to do a bit of that too - will this be enough? I'm worried I won't be able to lose any weight!!

If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. You can do that just with reducing your calorie intake. (Set your goal to lose .5 lb per week since you do not have much to lose.)
    Exercise is good for your health. Walking does burn calories. If it is the only exercise you can do then do it.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    All I do is walking and some weights,I've lost nearly 10 lbs doing that and watching my food intake,I like walking cuz its almost like meditation,, besides its a heck of a lot better than sitting on the couch! BTW I have awesome, toned legs just from my walks
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    only exercise i did really to lose my 100lbs this year was walk. just gota accuratly track cals
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Currently I'm mostly walking, and yes, I'm losing weight. It's great exercise, doesn't take much equipment, skill, or any of that.

One thing to keep in mind is that a person pretty much burns the same amount of calories no matter if the distance is covered by walking or running. So don't think that walking is somehow an inferior workout. Just slower.

Are you wearing new, supportive shoes? One of the most easily solved but overlooked causes of back and joint pain when walking or running is crappy or worn-out shoes, or a need for supportive insoles. If one is heavy and/or overweight, this is even more possible.

Don't walk or run with weights...this has long fallen out of favor because it causes extra strain on backs, joints, and the like. Free weights and such are great, but don't try to do the run/walk with hand weights--ESPECIALLY if this is already an issue.

I agree with others in getting your back pain-free if at all possible. Figure out a plan with your doctor. Some issues aren't easily solved, admittedly. But more and more doctors are turning to exercise...stretching, strengthening, and so on with exercise whether P.T., yoga, or a program like Classical Stretch.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,102 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Currently I'm mostly walking, and yes, I'm losing weight. It's great exercise, doesn't take much equipment, skill, or any of that.

One thing to keep in mind is that a person pretty much burns the same amount of calories no matter if the distance is covered by walking or running. So don't think that walking is somehow an inferior workout. Just slower.

Are you wearing new, supportive shoes? One of the most easily solved but overlooked causes of back and joint pain when walking or running is crappy or worn-out shoes, or a need for supportive insoles. If one is heavy and/or overweight, this is even more possible.

Don't walk or run with weights...this has long fallen out of favor because it causes extra strain on backs, joints, and the like. Free weights and such are great, but don't try to do the run/walk with hand weights--ESPECIALLY if this is already an issue.

I agree with others in getting your back pain-free if at all possible. Figure out a plan with your doctor. Some issues aren't easily solved, admittedly. But more and more doctors are turning to exercise...stretching, strengthening, and so on with exercise whether P.T., yoga, or a program like Classical Stretch.

Totally agree with this particularly the bolded parts I twisted my pelvis and left knee out as a result of a lower back injury last year. Having been back and forth to the chiropractor we did a gait scan and my feet were one of the biggest problems in exacerbating the problem.

I have orthotic insoles in almost every pair of shoes now which have worked wonders, I wear walking boots most of the time rather than the ballet pumps I used to live in and began a beginners strength training workout coupled with some low impact cardio and some yoga/static stretching.

Went for a new gait scan a month ago and I've almost corrected the way I am walking and the weight loss/strength training has done wonders for my back. I've had the odd twinge in my knees since starting jogging but other wise all good. Strengthening my back and legs has done wonders.

Walking in itself is great exercise but you do need to make sure you're wearing appropriate supportive footwear because otherwise it could be causing more damage.

Obviously this is something you need to discuss with your DR/Physio before doing.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited June 2017
    Walking is my main source of exercise currently, i cant run carrying baby so i walk and hike with him on my back

Supportive shoes are a must. I look like i have a shoe/walking boot fetish as i regularly swap mine out for new ones

If you go to an independant running shop they will be able to check your gait and advise accordingly. Yes that first pair of shoes is expensive but after that you can grab last seasons colours at a reduced price

I get my walking boots at a local outdoor sports shop who again are knowledgable and able to help with correct fitting
    They even helped fit my daughter who has cerebral palsy so she can walk with me at times without having to wear her splints
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Walking is great exercise!

I had lower back pain for decades and walking helped with that. So did yoga, but that involved a lot of trial and error. There would have been less error if I had just stuck to gentle yoga, but I was always pushing myself and overdoing it.

Another vote for good shoes. I like Asics; currently ASICS GT-1000 5 cuz they keep discontinuing styles >.<

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SCVES4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Walking can do wonders for you! When I still lived at home with my folks, my dad and I used to go for a 5 mile walk 4-5 days a week over to the local Starbucks and back. At the time I wasn't happy with my weight but it was pretty consistent, despite me eating junk and fast food all the time. Then I moved 1,000 miles away and stopped walking. My weight ballooned, because I wasn't walking to counteract all the junk I ate. If walking could maintain my weight that long despite eating vast amounts of calorie laden foods, then I'd say you could lose weight by eating a healthy diet and walking too.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    I lost both my first and last couple pounds with walking as my main form of exercise. CICO. As long as you eat below your TDEE, you'll lose the weight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited June 2017
    The suggestion to see a physio is a good one. They will assess you and give you a customized treatment plan. If you can't see a PT, google the "drawing in maneuver" and practice that all throughout the day, and especially when walking/moving. Use a reminder app if you forget.

Also walk in shoes with no raised heel. Most shoes on the market have a raised heel, which alters our natural walking gait, which can worsen back and joint problems. Go with comfortable "zero heel" shoes, such as skateboard shoes, Altras, Keds, etc.

And no, sweating is not required for fat loss. 100 calories burned while sweating buckets is the same as calmly eating 100 calories less. :+1: