Really confused about macros... starting MFP from WW

Options
Hey, hoping I can get some help figuring out my macros... I'm getting really confused because there's so much info online.

Some background- 34 years old, 5'3, just lost 40 lbs after having my 2nd baby 1.5 years ago. Now I'm 133, looking to get to 125. Still nursing my toddler 4x a day. I'm a stay at home mom, so my NEAT is probably pretty good, and I do 4-5 low to moderate intensity workouts per week.

What sort of percentages are best to lose fat at this point, while preserving/maximizing my lean muscle? (I do Pilates, kettlebells, and strength training at home, but not high intensity)

Thank you!

Replies

• Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The IIFYM basically gave me a 33/33/33 for my macros, which I'm not sure about.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Don't go by percentage, set your protein and fat by grams/lb then fill remaining calories with whatever you want. Something like 100 protein, 50 fat, remaining calories can be whatever you want.
  • Raegold
    Options
    Don't go by percentage, set your protein and fat by grams/lb then fill remaining calories with whatever you want. Something like 100 protein, 50 fat, remaining calories can be whatever you want.

Thank you, how do you figure out those amounts?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    protein 0.8 grams/lb goal weight
    fat 0.4 grams/lb goal weight
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When losing weight I like 1g of protein per lb of estimated lean body mass (doesn't need to be precise) and 0.4g of fat per lb of bodyweight as minimums. Rest of my calorie allowance comes from whichever macro I fancy or need on the day. Far more flexible than fixed percentages.

Remember your calorie level is by far the biggest factor.
    You could try just eating normally to your chosen calorie level, log your food accurately and see what macro split that gives you and make any adjustments from there.

Adherence is far more important than precision.
  • Raegold
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    When losing weight I like 1g of protein per lb of estimated lean body mass (doesn't need to be precise) and 0.4g of fat per lb of bodyweight as minimums. Rest of my calorie allowance comes from whichever macro I fancy or need on the day. Far more flexible than fixed percentages.

You could try just eating normally to your chosen calorie level, log your food accurately and see what macro split that gives you and make any adjustments from there.

Thank you for your help. I agree about the calories... that's confusing to me too though, one website told me my TDEE is 1670, and another told me 2100!! That's a big difference, and I'm not sure what is accurate

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »

Thank you for your help. I agree about the calories... that's confusing to me too though, one website told me my TDEE is 1670, and another told me 2100!! That's a big difference, and I'm not sure what is accurate

I've found slightly more protein and slightly less carbs than the MFP default keeps me fuller longer.

I don't bother with TDEE. I just put my stats and activity level into MFP, set a weekly weight loss goal, log my exercise as I go, and shoot for eating the calories given.

With this method, being a SAHM would go into your activity level and you'd log your workouts as you do them.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

All calculators are just starting estimates and depend on user input, not knowing what your inputs were make it difficult to comment on these estimates. What does MFP give you and what input, activity level, how much did you want to lose per week, did you enter? You should also consider that you are nursing which requires/burns more calories.

You could start at 1800-2000 and monitor for 3-4 weeks and adjust from there.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Did they both factor in that you are nursing?
    That could be 500 cals.
  • LisaFellis
    LisaFellis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing what someone above said. About 1g per weight of protein which is about 130g, I think im about 65 or so fat ,and 105g carbs. I am 5'0 and was 145 when I started in March I believe it was. Down to at least 130 and I have gained muscle because I can see it much more defined now.