PCOS and hunger

Options
Hey everyone.. I've got PCOS like a lot of ladies have and I am wondering who else is hungry ALL THE time?
I read online that this is one of the side effects I guess....
I am also finding it difficult because it seems that unless I consume Like 700 calories after a decent workout that I am not losing any weight...
and that is eating meat, veggies fruits and a little bit of seeds or nuts...

anyone else having this issue? I am very overweight and I am tracking everything. I have never had such a hard time losing weight before.

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I do find that my hunger is significant IF I don't watch my carbs. Everyone has a different magic number, but for me, if I keep my carb count to 150-200 grams per day, I'm pretty satiated. In days I don't exercise vigorously I lower it to 100-150g. And when I have those carbs, I also have protein or fat with them. A plain bagel will leave me ravenous, but a half-bagel with turkey and cheese is perfect. An apple alone, bad. Half an apple with cheese, good.

It also helps that I split my breakfast and lunch calories into three smaller meals (1st Breakfast, 2nd Breakfast, and Late Lunch).

Do some playing around with macros and meal frequency and see what works for you.

Source: PCOS for 30 years. Finally figured it out last year. I'm 5'10" and started at 248; now down to 191. Goal is 171.
  • SaraB_82
    SaraB_82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I wouldn't say hunger is my problem. I seem to never feel full. Once I start eating, I feel like I could never stop. I have to be crazy vigilant about my portion control, but I'm finally making progress. I think recognizing the problem is half the battle. I know how my PCOS effects me and so I know how to combat it.
  • mirelaavdich
    mirelaavdich Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I feel like that what worked for me is completely cutting out processed and artificial sugar. I did not even use honey. I stopped eating all processed food and dairy too. That definitely stopped the "hungry" feeling. However, just like @When_Bears_Attack I still have hard time feeling when I have eaten enough while I am eating. Once I stop, I can feel I over ate but not before so the trick is to portion and weigh everything before.

Also, it is so easy to confuse thirst for hunger. Try drinking some water and if you are still hungry 30 minutes later, then have a little snack.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I always have had problems having the scale move downwards yet very easy for me to gain weight. I have accept that I may never feel overly full but just not hungry will do for me. It seems weird but that's how I am.

I did have my fasting insulin (not glucose) tested and found out that I am insulin resistance. The doctor started me on metformin which is used for diabetics but should help. My glucose is normal but insulin level was high. Something to maybe ask your doctor to test next time you go. My doctor said insulin resistance is very common in women who have PCOS.

Good luck. Feel free to add if you would like.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I need to eat a of bulky low cal food in one go to feel full. Usually huge 400 cal salads. I tend to get most of my carbs from raw veg and it's really helped