Horseback Riders?

Options
Is anyone following a plan to strength their foundation as an equestrian?

So far I've been doing planks & variations just to do something, but I'm looking for something more targeted! Any ideas?

Replies

• eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Sorry I don't have an answer to your question...just want to say hello from a fellow myfitnesspal equestrian! I don't do much extra... just ride a couple times a week, a little yoga and cycling here and there... I've found that and the occasional run is fine for me. But good luck finding a good program!!:)

Fwiw I do like the free fitness blender workouts on YouTube, and yoga has strengthened my core in the past. ^-^
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't ride like I used to, but when I was riding several horses every day, I found the things that helped me the most were cycling (for cardio and strength), exercises that improved my core strength (not just crunches. Core meaning from my quads and up), and yoga to help both my flexibility and to my posture and straightness.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a horse bt I don;'t get to ride much anymore. I spend most of my days off trimming hooves on other people's horses and rarely have time to ride anymore. But gotta tell you. Farrier work is an excellent core and strength training workout.

I also took up the martial art Aikido 8 years ago after reading Mark rashid's books and seeing him at training demonstrations. His ideas and methods really changed my horsemanship and aikido has greatly improved my balance and connection with horses. Definitely worth it. And it does give some good cardio workouts, depending on what sensei happens to want to focus on.
  • Mousaroni
    Mousaroni Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I started dressage for the first time today!

I done yoga for 6-7 years but have dropped off for some reason. I should start it up again, thanks!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    Options
    I did a proper dressage school on my horse yesterday for the first time in close to a year (I have plopped around a bit with him and he has a kid that is competing him some, but I need to tune up him upper level work). I now understand how I was so fit and skinny when I rode 4 or 5 horses a day, plus all the stalls, walking, etc. not to mention I was usually too tired to eat. It's no wonder I've struggled to keep from gaining since quitting that job! It's hard work.

Still, I always tried to do SOMETHING extra.
  • Mousaroni
    Options
    I was on bed rest for a month after working 10-13 hour days, six days a week, for seven months. The muscle loss is astounding. I'm trying to build it back up, but it's hard when I'm only working part time now.
  • Somze
    Somze Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of yoga suggestions in this thread? Why is yoga a good idea? Is flexibility important for riding? I am a bit of a beginner and don't know.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    Options
    Flexibility is good for everything, but I do think being flexible can help a lot in your riding. Yoga done well also helps you correct your posture and alignment, which is vital to using your aids correctly and sitting squarely on the horse.
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    Been a busy weekend. Trimmed two Belgians, one donkey, 3 rockie mountains and an Icelandic and still managed to find time and energy to ride my mare for an hours leisurely trail ride. According to my Garmin I took fewer steps and burned more calories today than I do on an average day at work ,and my work days are pretty physical....
  • Mousaroni
    Options
    I've done a couple of quick fix trims after 2-3 weeks for some of our horses, and those wipe me out! I can't imagine doing so many!
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    Mousaroni wrote: »
    I've done a couple of quick fix trims after 2-3 weeks for some of our horses, and those wipe me out! I can't imagine doing so many!

When I first started just getting two feet done was a big job. But over time you just sort of get used to it. I try to keep it to 3-6 horses on a day but sometimes it is 8, average is 4. My busiest day some years ago, I did 17 horses at 4 barns. Won't be doing that again.
  • HighlandPony17
    HighlandPony17 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I am getting fit by walking will work on my core when I have lost some weight. I will add cycling as I lose weight but what other exercises could I do. I am only riding for 20 mins at walk till I lose some weight.
  • purrsnnickers
    purrsnnickers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do eventing and dressage. I have a dvd called Success in the Saddle which has been great to get me back in shape to compete after not riding due to injuries to my horse's and myself. For cardio I either walk 2 miles a day or do a HIIT work out several days a week. I am 63, getting my weight back down (30 pounds to go) and able to ride two horses a day at this point. Yoga and pilates also excellent for development of core strength.
  • Mousaroni
    Options
    I'm just starting as a working student at an eventing barn! I've only ever done endurance, so I'm really excited to learn another discipline!

It feels so odd to go from a year of being in the saddle 6-8 hours a day now down to a slow hour! But it's such a great opportunity to make those hours count outside of the saddle!

Thank you for the suggestions ☺️
  • JennyNelson2
    JennyNelson2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cycling is great but do lots without sitting in the saddle to strengthen quads and to develop balance. Do lots and lots of stairs sgsjn for strengthening the legs. Planks and crunches for the core and those ab wheel things are great if you have to ride track or fast pace work so you can go with the horses motion in balance. Often i sit on a swiss ball and use resistance bands to pull against to work biceps. Walk heaps, lots of grooming, mucking out etc for general fitness. I have 10 horses and ride for up to 6 hours a day but still do cardio and weights on top. I also count my riding as cardio as I will get out of breath and sweaty when we are riding hard and fast across country. We will go out and do 25kms in 2 hours at top speeds of 39kms ph at least twice a week on the horses. Hope that helps. Oh and yoga or Pilates does help with conditioning, core, breathing, meditation and balance.
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    Had a glorious 2 hour trail ride this morning. The woods were cool and beautiful as the fog was lifting. We have had a lot of rain and storms this week so it was nice to finally have a dry day to ride.
  • ihkids
    ihkids Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to learn how to ride.
  • Heatherpuggy2018
    Heatherpuggy2018 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    After an accident (not horse related) and surgery for another issue I am finally close to being at a weight where I can ride my own horse again. He is a talented boy and I have had to watch the last 3 years as someone else competed and rode him
  • Heatherpuggy2018
    Heatherpuggy2018 Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ooops - not sure what happened there but half my message didn't post. Anyway - i just went on to say that I asked my PT to concentrate on my overall fitness but with a bias to core strength in preparation for my return to the saddle. So he has had me doing curls, planks, burpees , kettle bells and using machines in the gym and I have also gone to HIIT classes to help. My horsey friends have said that Pilates is particularly good for riders (yet to try). If any of you equestrian fans out there have a group going or are adding friends (?) - then please add me because it would be great to keep in contact with fellow riders/enthusiasts. Also, I would love to know how the people who school/compete log their sessions because I know horseback riding is an option on the app but does that represent the hardcore training you probably have been doing? ... let me know