Do you have a pre-work out snack?

Options
oat_bran
oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I know it's not a requirement, but I got used to have a pre-work out snack, something small and carb-y (80-150cals usually). I feel like it gives me a boost I need to do cardio. Especially the first minutes before I warm up and running feels easier. But maybe it's just psychological?

How many if you have carby snacks before cardio? Sometimes I feel like it might be counterproductive, as it prevents burning fat as efficiently during workout. But since the total deficit is all that matters it should be okay?

Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Usually I am hungry before my workout class which is at 6 in the evening but I do not want my full meal before I work out. A cup of fruit or a half a cup of cottage cheese takes the edge off so I can focus my energy on my workout. At the end of the day it is CICO so you need to do what works for you!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If I have anything it's just coffee as I work out soon after I wake up and can't eat until around noon.

If I'm going mountain biking I'll grab something to eat first and bring a snack for the trail.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    No...

I don't like lifting weights with food in my belly... It always seems to want to come out one way or another, and makes me feel queasy.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like to have a 100-170ish calorie snack before... like others here said, it really helps me keep focused on doing work and not being all whiney wussy cus hunger demons invading me lol
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    If I can avoid it, no. If I leave for the gym within an hour after waking up, I just have a coffee. I cannot remembr why, but training fasting shoud be really beneficial
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Only time I do is if I'm running...often times just a cliff bar or if it's a long run my go to is Oatmeal with a tbs of peanut butter and a banana with honey mixed in
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was just having coffee before my morning run. However since increasing distance I get hungry! A banana with my morning coffee seems to do the trick.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Arizona_C wrote: »
    If I can avoid it, no. If I leave for the gym within an hour after waking up, I just have a coffee. I cannot remembr why, but training fasting shoud be really beneficial

For most 'normal' people, it doesn't really make a difference whether you eat before training or train fasted. Personal preference wins!
  • archishaganguly23
    archishaganguly23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a banana..but it's not necessary...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For me before a normal cardio workout of up to 2hrs - nothing.
    3hrs and upwards - yes, and taking on carbs during the session.
    I feel like it might be counterproductive, as it prevents burning fat as efficiently during workout.
    Completely irrelevant.
    The intensity of your exercise primarily determines the blend of carbs / fat you use and you already have loads of carbs (glycogen) onboard. Whether the carbs you burn come from your glycogen stores or from a recent snack makes no difference if your daily calories stay the same.
    But since the total deficit is all that matters it should be okay?
    As you say net fat loss is down to your daily deficit, not what fuel you burn during your workout.

If having a snack beforehand gives you a better workout, even if it's just a psychological response, then go for it.
    Do you "need" to time your fuelling for a standard workout - no.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    For me before a normal cardio workout of up to 2hrs - nothing.
    3hrs and upwards - yes, and taking on carbs during the session.
    I feel like it might be counterproductive, as it prevents burning fat as efficiently during workout.
    Completely irrelevant.
    The intensity of your exercise primarily determines the blend of carbs / fat you use and you already have loads of carbs (glycogen) onboard. Whether the carbs you burn come from your glycogen stores or from a recent snack makes no difference if your daily calories stay the same.
    But since the total deficit is all that matters it should be okay?
    As you say net fat loss is down to your daily deficit, not what fuel you burn during your workout.

If having a snack beforehand gives you a better workout, even if it's just a psychological response, then go for it.
    Do you "need" to time your fuelling for a standard workout - no.

Thanks for such a detailed reply!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the afternoon I'll usually have 40 grams of whey with iced coffee. In the morning I've started training in a fasted state.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    I know it's not a requirement, but I got used to have a pre-work out snack, something small and carb-y (80-150cals usually). I feel like it gives me a boost I need to do cardio. Especially the first minutes before I warm up and running feels easier. But maybe it's just psychological?

How many if you have carby snacks before cardio? Sometimes I feel like it might be counterproductive, as it prevents burning fat as efficiently during workout. But since the total deficit is all that matters it should be okay?

If I didn't eat a meal ~1h beforehand, then yes. I keep a box of fruit snacks in my car for this very purpose.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes because I am diabetic!
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Nope. Trying to keep the calories to the bare minimum.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    No. I can't exercise on a full stomach. It makes my performance tank and I feel rotten.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I very rarely do.

And no, it doesn't prevent "burning fat as efficiently during workout"
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I train in the late afternoon after work and before dinner so I like a good complex carb hit before a heavy session. My faves are the baked oatmeal recipes on budgetbytes.com. The pumpkin pie and cherry apple are delicious. You can eat them cold or hot but I like to crumble them in a bowl with a couple ounces of milk or yogurt. The pumpkin pie one is about 250 calories per serving when cut into 6 servings, the cherry apple is about 370 for 1 serving of 6 but you can cut them smaller if you wanted a smaller calorie hit.