Cant seem to lose!!

Options
I have always been very bad at sticking to any kind of diet or healthy eating so have always been very up and down whether i lose or gain! I do really well for a while then i mess it up! But the last 3 weeks i have stuck to my calorie goal everyday and been moving more! Mostly walking but i have started couch to 5k aswell so start including a little running! But i have put on weight!!!! Really just makes me think whats the point im miserable cause im hungry and eating meals that im not enjoying cause the things i enjoy are bad!! (Pizza, fajitas basically i eat far too much bread) ive only put on a pound but surely i should of lost!!!!

Replies

• jaramilj0913
    jaramilj0913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Melonmoo91, don't get discouraged! This happened to me as well when I began trying to become more active. The main thing is to keep at it and your body will adjust. The exercise is new and is probably just creating an inflammatory response, but the more active you become, the less it will happen. Have you tried a ketogenic diet? Ive been on it for 3 months and am down 30 pounds. It decreases your carb and sugar intake dramatically, but after about a week or 2, you no longer crave sweets and carbs as much.

Best of luck,
    Nita
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Gain could be fluid retention due to too much sodium or hormones. Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink? If not, you could be eating more than you think.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend Keto, you'll just have to learn to eat all over again at least twice. It's no quicker than any other way of eating, and quicker isn't better anyway.

MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart%20a_zpsot9kdvnv.jpg

A lot of successful people here didn't go on any fad diets or "healthy" eating plans. They just ate what satisfied them within their calorie limit.

Read the sticky threads, and keep asking questions, and reading threads.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    And Woo Yay Hooplah for doing Couch to 5K! Such an awesome program!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would try to calm down, not because being anxious directly prevents you from losing weight, but because stress and feeling miserable and not in control can make you want to eat more than you need, and you may end up not being able to stick to your calorie goal.

Don't think of what you eat as a diet or healthy eating, and food you like as bad or messing up. You don't even have to exercise unless you want to. (But moderate exercise is indeed good for you.) Just aim to eat enough but not too much. You can eat anything you want as long as you don't eat too much. (But it's also smart to consider the nutritional value of your meals.) When you do that, hunger will not be a real issue, and over time, you will lose weight, if you carry excess weight. Weight will go up and down independently of real fat loss, because your body consists of more than just fat, and those things have different weight/mass, and they are in a constant flux in and out. You need at least a month of consistent eating at a calorie deficit and consistent weigh-ins to see a weight trend.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    one pound is well within daily weight fluctuations - not likely fat gain.
  • aliciabruch
    aliciabruch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself for awhile and just take measurements. Stay on a healthy path. Don't be discouraged.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    melonmoo91 wrote: »
    I have always been very bad at sticking to any kind of diet or healthy eating so have always been very up and down whether i lose or gain! I do really well for a while then i mess it up! But the last 3 weeks i have stuck to my calorie goal everyday and been moving more! Mostly walking but i have started couch to 5k aswell so start including a little running! But i have put on weight!!!! Really just makes me think whats the point im miserable cause im hungry and eating meals that im not enjoying cause the things i enjoy are bad!! (Pizza, fajitas basically i eat far too much bread) ive only put on a pound but surely i should of lost!!!!

Weight loss isn't linear... a pound is no big deal
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    First, there are no 'bad' foods, only incorrect portion sizes. There's nothing wrong with eating pizza, bread, etc...as long as you stick to your calorie goal, you can incorporate the things you enjoy into your healthy diet plan and still lose weight. There's no reason to be miserable.
    3 weeks still may be too early to see results. Depending on how much you have to lose, it could take awhile, particularly if you have about 20 lbs or less. This is where accuracy is very important. If you don't weigh all of your solid foods (including sauces, condiments, etc..), you may want to consider starting to do so.
    Do you eat back exercise calories? How do you determine how many calories you have burned?
    Are you comparing packages against the MFP database? The database is user maintained, and even the green checkmarked "verified" entries are frequently wrong. This could cause your logging to be off. Do you also log fruits, vegetables, condiments, etc?
    Also, as mentioned above, sometimes starting a new exercise program can cause water retention at first. This can mask lbs lost on the scale. For women, time of the month can also cause weight fluctuations, so that's something else to keep in mind if that is approaching for you...