Long hair problems

Options
I have waist length thick hair. The usual top knot is so heavy, and I have to spend 20-30 minutes after my workout to detangle it. Any advice is welcome! Detangling spray or other products or ways to put my hair up that will prevent this, etc. Thanks!

Replies

• aettinger448
    aettinger448 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I should also add: I do a circuit including treadmill, bench presses, sit ups, free weights, etc. Like 5x5 but with treadmill "breaks" between sets.
  • lisarenee127
    lisarenee127 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use soya want it all by healthy sexy hair to detangle. Plus I wrap mine tight so I'm worried about breakage and it helps with that
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    braid it and then wrap it into a bun. and secure with a scrunchie or something along those lines. I used to have long hair too.I got tired of finding hairs in my underwear and everything else.so I cut it short now(shorter than what is in my pic). never thought I would but its a lot easier to work out with and easier to manage. not recommended you cut yours at all.Im getting too old to deal with keep up with long hair lol
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I cut my waist length hair about 15 years ago. I was about 40. Loved the hair, hated the upkeep and the headaches. I totally get keeping your hair long, but you might be surprised at how much you like shorter hair and how different you can look. I keep mine a little longer than shoulder length now. I have to be able to put it up and pull it back into a ponytail quickly. Like yours it's thick.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    A braid works for me
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just chopped off about 10 inches of my hair recently. Long hair is pretty, but not very conducive to a regular work out routine. I would usually just put mine in a ponytail while dancing, since it is a lot of movement in the hair would fall out anyway and then I would do a bun for wraps that could handle it, like the squat bar.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    French braid until you reach the nape of your neck, then use an elastic band to create a lower ponytail. It lies flat against your head, catches all the side strands of hair, and doesn't result in a bunch of tangles (in my experience).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My hair is waist length too. I braid it for workouts. In fact I keep it braided most of the time because it's so convenient.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like the It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Spray for detangling (I use it after showering, then air-dry my hair; not sure how well it works under other circumstances). If you are in the US and have a Target or Ulta nearby you can probably get a 2 ounce bottle of it to try out before committing to a larger one. I spend like 30 seconds detangling my hair with this stuff.

I have waist-length hair and don't really have any trouble during workouts. I usually wear a headband and a scrunchie and that seems to work fine for me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Braid it.

When you need to detangle it, take a wide toothed comb into the shower with you and comb the conditioner through it. Not only does this help distribute the conditioner better, the comb works with the conditioner to detangle before rinsing.

One thing I started to do which really helps prevent tangles is that I stopped using shampoo. The harsh surfactants in it strip the natural oils from your hair and make it more prone to tangling. Conditioner-only washing has made it much easier to manage and it has helped bring out my natural waves. I have been doing this for about 4 years now and will never go back.

ETA: For a few years I used a detangling spray I made myself with 95% cyclomethicone, 2% dimethecone, 2% argan oil and 1% essential/fragrance oils.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Braids and pony tails are my way of life. I have used fructise leave in conditioner, now I use various detanglers but like the Aussie kids detangler best. I've actually considered using some of the stuff I use on my horse with a long mane.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I only French braid my hair or i don't put it up at all.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I pull into a low ponytail, then braid. I have to use the cheap rubber bands (like from the office supply store) to secure the bottom otherwise it will slip off.

I do this for long runs. If I don't, my hair is so knotty it takes forever to detangle it.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I generally do I high ponytail but my hair is bewb length. I think for you French braids are the way to go. Either that or if you want to get fancy, do waterfall braids and tie whatever is left of your hair into a bun. There's tons of tutorials on YouTube for all sorts of braids in YouTube; use em gurl!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    If I want something really secure, I do a high ponytail, then secure it into a topknot with an octopus clip. My hair probably isn't as thick as yours anymore, but I was able to use that when it made me look like Hermione Granger ;)

hermionehair.jpg
  • jennwill3
    jennwill3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do a side braid.
  • MariannePhoto
    MariannePhoto Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Boxer braids are awesome.