Fear of going to a gym?

Options
I'm not sure if this is just me but I am desperate to lose weight and I want to start exercising. Many people have suggested that I should go to a gym so I did. I went for around 20 minutes and I felt completely humiliated as I couldn't even run on the treadmill for 2 minutes without becoming tired. Everyone around me was muscular and buff or slim and I just stuck out and didn't feel comfortable. I understood rationally in my head that people probably didn't care at all about the way I looked but I still couldn't be there without thinking that people must have been disgusted by me. I still want to exercise and I figured it would be best to start at home so I wouldn't feel pressure from people around me. What kind of exercises are best for a beginner? I mainly want to focus on weight loss rather than gaining muscle so would cardio be the best option. Has anyone else ever felt like this and do exercise at home instead.

Replies

• dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yes, I felt like that when first going to the gym, after going for a couple of weeks & tuning out everything & everyone there & just focusing on my workout I got to the point where I just didn't give a *kitten*...dont worry about other ppl just do you
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out outside or at home. I used to be a total gym rat 5 days a week for a minimum of an hour. I would always compare how much weight I was lifting vs the guy next to me. How many reps could he do vs me. I ended up damaging my back and sciatic lifting too heavy to help my ego. So I had to rethink things and change how I looked at working out. So I quit the gym and bought minimal stuff to workout at home. Tractor tire flips are the only workout that I lift more than my body weight. Make the world your gym and your body the weight. My joints don't hurt at all and my overall health and strength have increased dramatically over the past couple years. My personal experience is that doing body weight exercises and real life movements create real useable real life strength. How many times is a load you are lifting perfectly balanced on a straight bar? Almost never. The best part about working out at home is you can get your entire family involved. Go for runs, hiking, mountain biking, or my families favorite is kayaking. Now your workout doesn't feel like a workout.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Jamie23049 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is just me but I am desperate to lose weight and I want to start exercising. Many people have suggested that I should go to a gym so I did. I went for around 20 minutes and I felt completely humiliated as I couldn't even run on the treadmill for 2 minutes without becoming tired. Everyone around me was muscular and buff or slim and I just stuck out and didn't feel comfortable. I understood rationally in my head that people probably didn't care at all about the way I looked but I still couldn't be there without thinking that people must have been disgusted by me. I still want to exercise and I figured it would be best to start at home so I wouldn't feel pressure from people around me. What kind of exercises are best for a beginner? I mainly want to focus on weight loss rather than gaining muscle so would cardio be the best option. Has anyone else ever felt like this and do exercise at home instead.

• yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lol forgot my reply. Start with just plain walking for now. Your body and muscles will adapt pretty quick, thats when its up to you to listen to your body and decide if you can move on to more strenuous activity, and it wont take long. Nobody at the gym cares about how you look. Everybody starts somewhere and in gymgoers minds they are probably even cheering for you. Dont let fear block you. Fear is the only obstacle here and its all in your head. Dont be your own worst enemy!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us felt that way when we first started at the gym- I know I did. Here's the truth (from my experience only)-
    Nobody is judging you. Everyone was once a beginner.
    If you think someone is looking AT you, in actuality, they're probably looking THROUGH you.
    All those huge, buff guys lifting weights are complete sweethearts. They will answer your questions and offer suggestions for improvement.

Whether you exercise at the gym or at home is completely up to you. Just find something you love to do and keep doing it.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use to use my HS gym alot, alot of fit people but no one ever said anything to make me feel bad. I now only work out at home and personally enjoy it more, esp since at this stage I don't need most of the gear a gym offers and I like the easy to follow laid out routine in p90x.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Jamie23049 wrote: »

Jamie, yes, I completely understand. When I would go to the gym before I lost a good bit of weight, I felt like I really didn't belong and was embarrassed. What has been really interesting as I have become addicted to the gym now, is the conversations I have with people. A fair amount of the people that are small or muscular at the gym actually have a similar story. Yes, there are some people that have always been thin or athletic but there are actually a lot of people that have had to work really hard for it. More of them probably understand than you realize. For me personally, I'm certainly not the smallest person at the gym but I think I am fairly fit. I actually get excited when I see people that are not super tiny because I know they're fighting for it and working hard. I admire that.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It's like a swimming pool. When you first get in the water is cold, but if you keep pushing yourself through it you will become acclimated and enjoy it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised that many of those muscular and fit people in the gym weren't always so and started somewhere.

In regards to beginner exercises, I just started off walking...then did a C25K program to get me running. A few months later I joined a gym to start lifting again...I was weak as hell, but just kept going. It's been about 4.5 years now.

Part of your discomfort is likely attributable to simply being in a foreign environment. I've switched gyms a few times over the years and I always feel a little uncomfortable at first...new environment, new people, etc...usually subsides in a couple of weeks unless the gym is really not a good fit, which did happen once.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I go to an all-women's gym. You walk in, all you see are perfect, and I do mean perfect, bodies. I'm 225lbs, I felt like crawling under a machine. But, I put it in my mind that the only way I'm going to get my own perfect body is to work out.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    They key for me was focusing on myself. The gym is selfish me time for me. It took a few weeks but I got used to it. I started off on machines like the elliptical with a guided motion I couldn't screw up, then did weight machines, then finally free weights. Then I moved and joined a hardcore lifting gym because it was cheap and motivating. 80% of the clientele are bodybuilders, but I just focus on myself and try to feel motivated.

Hope this helps at all!
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Take whatever classes they offer. I had never set foot in a gym until March and joined my local YMCA. I literally had no idea how to use an elliptical or weight machines. I don't know any body weight exercises. I never needed to workout to stay fit until a few years ago, so going was horrifying.

Then I decided if I was going to do it....throw myself in full force and get over it faster. I started showing up and taking 2 or 3 of whatever classes offered that day. The group atmosphere and need to learn the moves/keep up moves your focus from how dumb you think you look onto following the instructor and their moves.

You will run out of breath and need breaks in front of people who don't ...you will slip on your own sweat....you will feel silly dancing in a pool or attempting burpees that the 75 year old guy can do. But you'll realize that no one is looking at you. No one cares. Everyone else is focused on themselves, too.

And just like that....an hour has gone by and you made it! You didn't quit, die, or anything else. You may have struggled, but that's the idea. If it was easy, you wouldn't be gaining anything. And you burned 500 calories already! Then pick another and another. Go outside your comfort zone because just being there is already uncomfortable.

Even though I still suck at most of the classes. I'm not thinking about that anymore. I'm proud when I can add more weight to the barbell in BodyPump class. I'm thrilled when I remember Zumba moves. I feel achievement when I remember jab and roundhouse combos in BodyCombat. And when I eventually go back and hit the weight room or cardio machines...I feel confident because I'm betting most people there stay in their routines out of fear or pre conceived notions, while I've overcome it....gotten stronger...and learned so much about exercise and my body that the Gym is a fun, daily surprise instead of dreaded chore.

Tomorrow I'm trying Pilates and a Kettlebell class for the first time. Then I'm going to swim laps even though I HATE swimming AND pools. And I basically only know backstroke. So I'm going to backstroke my butt off.

I feel accomplished everyday now because I keep going outside of my comfort zone and nothing "terrible" has happened. It's best to address weakness and fears to their *theoretical* face. That's just how I personally got over my fears AND learned a ton about exercise as well as my particular strengths and weaknesses. Avoidance makes it remain a boogeyman that never existed.

And take the weekends off and spend them outdoors, with family, or recovering. Sleep in. Take a slow walk. By Sunday night, I'm dying to get back to the gym.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As far as feeling self conscious, try focusing on tuning everything and everyone out. You're there for yourself, not anyone else. Put headphones on and put in your favorite playlist or iTunes channel. That helps as well.

What exactly do you mean by tired? I don't mean this in a critical way at all. Just clarification. Does your chest hurt? You're probably going too hard on your body and you may want to slow it down. However, if you're winded, which is more likely, try focusing on your breathing. This is a huge part of the battle with any type of exercise really. Focus on steady breath. Steady inhale for 2 paces. Steady exhale for 2 paces.

There is also plenty of cardio not invoking waking or running or even equipment. Download fitness buddy. Free workout routines with all kinds of options. It will ask you if you're t home or the gym. And then if you want to work on strength or cardio.

By all means? Do not allow self consciousness or fear cause you to give up on your desire to exercise.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i had the physical symptoms of terror the first month or two i was in a weight room. it felt like the room had higher pressure in it than the corridor outside it, and it was trying to push me back out.

but, yeah. i wanted to do what i wanted to do and for my own thing that i wanted to do being in there was the only way of getting it done. having a plan, aka a programme i was following helped me immensely with that first little while. it gave me a reason for being in there and a thing i could focus on, so i didn't even have to look at the people around me for reference points if i didn't want to.

for you, gyms may not even be necessary. my own obsession was learning to do cool things with a barbell, and then doing them, so it needed a specific room with specific equipment in it. but if i hadn't been bitten by that bug i don't think i would care if the entire world lined up and told me to 'go to a gym'. i just wouldn't do it. outside of my interest zone, it just isn't my kind of thing.

but no matter what venue you choose, having a programme or project can be a great way to get you over that beginner hump. gl; it's really worth it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is a gym person. I started by doing bodyweight squats and push-ups and crunches, all activities you can do at home with no equipment. I couldn't even do knee push-ups at first and just did wall push-ups, then I started doing knees, then really poor sad looking real push-ups, and now I can finally do real ones. I started doing arm exercises with water bottles until I could lift enough to need real weights. You can do Zumba or other cardio at home at any level just with YouTube.

I do have a stationary bike at home for cardio. If two minutes running on a treadmill is too much, then walk! Do intervals of running until you get stronger.
  • smcarthur2007
    smcarthur2007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym. I hate random advice from strangers, or people looking at me like I'm an alien or something. I really enjoy heavy bag workouts so I built a boxing gym in my basement one item at a time buying them off kijiji or yard sales.

I started with just a heavy bag and now have added a weight bench, two speed bags, a coordination bag, a pull up bar, a dip station, a chin up bar I red-necked up from an old weight bar, and some cheap bars from Walmart. Most of my weights I bought a few at a time from the thrift stores in my city. I use some old computer speakers hooked up to a disc changer or my tablet for music.

Now the only people I deal with are my kids interrupting me over who gets the TV while I'm in the basement.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I know this probably won't be helpful because I've felt that way before and felt that it was insurmountable, but anyone who's actively disgusted by someone trying to improve their fitness really doesn't deserve a second thought from you. Also, I thought of this that I saw just yesterday...

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You need a plan, so you know what to do to- does your gym give you a free training session or fitness evaluation? Start there. Make a schedule for yourself to keep yourself accountable. Try out some classes if your gym has them - it takes the guesswork out. Don't think about other people watching you. Use headphones!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is just me but I am desperate to lose weight and I want to start exercising.

Understand that exercise is not required to lose weight. It's certainly good for your health, but most of your weight loss caloric deficit is going to come from eating less, not exercising more.

In terms of weight loss, it doesn't matter how you achieve a caloric deficit. So if you don't like the discomfort of exercise, don't do it.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is just me but I am desperate to lose weight and I want to start exercising.

Understand that exercise is not required to lose weight. It's certainly good for your health, but most of your weight loss caloric deficit is going to come from eating less, not exercising more.

In terms of weight loss, it doesn't matter how you achieve a caloric deficit. So if you don't like the discomfort of exercise, don't do it.

Yes, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. So if that is your only reason to go to a gym, you don't need to.

If you want to improve health, you can start slow. As others mentioned as well, I started with walking outside before moving into C25k. I think building up from walking really is a great way to start. I have been taking fitness classes as well- the very first time I went, I had to walk out of the room twice because I thought I was going to throw up lol. But after that, it went smoothly.

If you want to work out beyond just for weight loss, stick with it. People really are more focused on their own workouts. Good luck!