Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I have totally changed what I eat and less now. I exercise 2-3x a week.
I started my weight loss 4 weeks ago and all I have lost is 1 pound.
So let down and dissapointed :(

Replies

• superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe not eating enough? Lost any inches? That is more important than losing pounds.
    :smile:
  • jodieh06
    jodieh06 Posts: 49
    Options
    Join the club :laugh: 5 weeks and only 2 pound, but at the start you're probably gaining muscle and water retention has something to do with it. The best thing is to take measurements! Whilst i haven't lost pounds on the scale, i have cut some inches :happy: just keep pushing through and you'll soon see results :D
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Open up your food diary so we can look at it.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If we could see your diary helping would be easier. When you say you exercise 2-3 times a week what does that look like? Are you doing any strength training?
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Make your food diary public by going to the Food tab, and changing the settings. If you do that we can check your food :)

As for the exercise, I am not sure what workouts you are doing but here are my suggestions:

1. Workout more. Up it to 4-5 or 5-6 times a week if possible. (I know it sucks but ya gotta do it!)
    2. Rotate workouts. Don't do the same things over and over. Try different cardio options like swimming, jogging, walking long distances, dancing, circuit training, playing a sport. Mix it up a little.
    3. Add strength training if you aren't already
    4. Be patient. Sometimes your body will hold onto the weight at first. You could be gaining muscle. OR you could be retaining water and in that case you need to DRINK MORE WATER. Sounds counter intuitive but it is true. Drink 8-12 glasses a day or MORE.

You can do it! Don't give up and don't let the scale be your master. Start measuring inches instead for a while.

Best of luck!
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Having gone through this and making excuses for myself for years, there is only one viable answer. You are taking in more than you are burning up in exercise. Try upping the exercise to 30 min. for 4 or 5 X a week. If you don't keep a log of your intake, start now. If I don't log everything, I start slipping backward. Good luck!
  • Jaybelle
    Jaybelle Posts: 5
    Options
    Do't get discouraged...you just have to play with what u r eating...if I eat all my calories in carbs...breads and pasta's while I may be at the correct point number I never loose weight either..you have to experiment with your choices and see what works best for you
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be really tough for some people. What is your goal for calories each day? Are you measuring your portions or just making a best guess? Are you recording everything you eat? What are you doing for exercise? How many meals are you eating in a day? If you are eating too few calories your body could think it's being starved and you will resist losing weight. I'm eating 6 small meals a day, keeping them between 200-300 calories each. My wife is also doing the program and tries to keep it to 5-6 meals a day. I think her goal is a little over 1200 net calories a day. Things have worked well for both of us.
  • blueberrypancakes
    Options
    I weighed today and I'm 3 pounds down!! Why wasn't the scale moving before?
    I sometimes over eat on my calorie range :/
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a funny thing. It's not an exact science. We know that to lose 1lb of fat you need a calorific deficit of 3500 calories. You may find that you make a 7000 deficit, and nothing happens. Then, 2 days later for no reason, you drop 2lbs. I wish our body would simply drop the 1lb the moment we hit that deficit, but alas, it doesn't. It tends to do what it wants :)
  • blueberrypancakes
    Options
    this whole week ..one day i was 236 then the next day 239 then the next day 240 and the next day too and tonight im 236 again.
    what is this?
  • jamesysmom
    jamesysmom Posts: 38
    Options
    well one of the curses with being a woman , not that there are a lot is losing weight is harder for us. We have a "visitor" once a month and between our bodies preparing for it , dealing with it when its here and then having to start over agian we constantly have something aginast us. I have times on the scale that I weigh on weight and then the next either more or less its how it works at times . The important thing is to not give up It may take us longer but we do get there . Good luck with the weight loss YOU CAN DO IT. Also check your sodium intake that can make a big difference in the weight . Just my 2 cents
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a funny thing. It's not an exact science. We know that to lose 1lb of fat you need a calorific deficit of 3500 calories. You may find that you make a 7000 deficit, and nothing happens. Then, 2 days later for no reason, you drop 2lbs. I wish our body would simply drop the 1lb the moment we hit that deficit, but alas, it doesn't. It tends to do what it wants :)

So true, last week I was the same weight as six days before - I hadn't had time to go to the gym. Went that day and did a couple of heavy resistance cardio plus some strength/free weights. Next day I'd lost 4lb and 1% body fat turned into water.

keep track of other measurements, like waist, as it can help show a change when the scales don't
  • blueberrypancakes
    Options
    Thankyou so much all :)
    I have started measuring and its great :D
  • emtess123
    Options
    im in the same boat! been eating 1200 a day and exercising 4/5 times a week for about 7 weeks now, i still weigh EXACTLY the same and am still hovering around the same one or two inches everywhere on my body, clothes feel no different either... is it possible that weight loss is just not gonna happen for some people do you think? maybe healthy eating just maintains the same weight and makes sure you dont gain for some? im starting to wonder whether thats the case for me!
  • blueberrypancakes
    Options
    im in the same boat! been eating 1200 a day and exercising 4/5 times a week for about 7 weeks now, i still weigh EXACTLY the same and am still hovering around the same one or two inches everywhere on my body, clothes feel no different either... is it possible that weight loss is just not gonna happen for some people do you think? maybe healthy eating just maintains the same weight and makes sure you dont gain for some? im starting to wonder whether thats the case for me!

i really hope we both start losing :'(