Best way to reduce body fat from 25%

Options
Hi all,

I am currently around 25% body fat, weight 79kg, 5'10" skinny fat.

I am on day 4 of reduced calories and have started a 3 day a week weight training programme and cardio (running) 3-4 time a week. I am for low carbs with increased carbs on weight days. Do I need to go further and learn how to manage micros?

Any help would be appriciated.I would love to heard about anybody's story's of success.

Craig C

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What have you reduced your calories to? Which weight training program are you following?

You don't need to carb cycle or manage your micros.
    1. Moderate Calorie Deficit (250-500 calories)
    2. Progressive load full-body resistance 3x/week
    3. Cardio 2x-3x/week
    4. Rest
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'm in a similar situation. I'm 5'10 and have gone from 175 lbs to 160 lbs in less than two months. I've been doing the following:

1. Weight lifting 3-4 times per week, cardio 2-3 times per week
    2. 1500-1900 calories per day
    3. >120 grams of protein per day (to preserve muscle)

Nothing more complicated than that. I'm still sort of skinny-fat but I've had massive improvement in a relatively short time. I've gotten stronger so I assume I've lost only fat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    1. Small deficit (200 to 300 calories) on a cut (to minimize muscle loss), small surplus (200 to 300 calories) on a bulk (to minimize fat gain).
    2. Challenge your muscles with progressive full-body resistance training roughly 3 times a week (but you may need to adjust this down to 2 or up to 4 depending on your results and recovery rate -- see item #4).
    3. Adequate protein (advice varies; start at 2 g/kg lean mass, and adjust based on results).
    4. Adequate rest. You build muscle on rest days, not on workout days.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How have you measured 25% fat? I ask because I weighed 81 kg yesterday when hydrostatically measured for body fat of 14.3%. I do not have a proper weight lifting program, and am flabby with loose skin. I am the same height as you.
  • craigcrall85
    craigcrall85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks for your responses and advice. I have reduced my calories to between 1,700 & 1,900 per day from a maintenance of approx 2,400. I have been aiming for the higher number on weight training days and lower on cardio days.

The 3 day week weight programme I have started is called T-Nation 3 day week lifting programme that I found on google.

To measure my body fat I used callipers that I purchased from MyProtein website.

I haven't monitored the amount of protein intake I have been consuming but will take a closer look and see if I need to adjust.

I weighed myself today after only 5 days and seem to have lost 2kg. Not sure how reliable the scales are TBH.

Once again, thanks for all your comments.

Cheers

Craig.