Almonds ?

Options
Does anyone eat Almonds -? High in Calories, but also in Protein -

Replies

• cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    they're great source of fat, and delicious!
    but i eat more almond butter, just personal preference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sure. They aren't really high in protein, but they have some and are healthy and to me reasonably filling. (I also love almond butter and mix it with greek yogurt.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds pretty much daily... while they are marketed as high in protein, they're really not... but a good source off healthy fats
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Tasty snack and a great fat source. Also very calorie-dense, so they're good if you're short on calories and need a snack that won't fill you up. Not a great protein source, though - about 15% of the calories are from protein, while 79% are from fat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    They provide some fat, some protein, and some satiation. All that without providing sugar. Perfect!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    They provide some fat, some protein, and some satiation. All that without providing sugar. Perfect!

1.1g to 1.4g sugar per ounce of almonds according to the nutritional information provided here and here.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I eat almonds most days....I love the taste and need the fat.

Also, you should review the research on almonds. The body does not absorb all of the calories from almonds (due to the structure, it is very difficult to break it down completely and absorb it all), so they are actually less calories than the label claims. Same is true to a lesser extent of most other nuts as well. I don't recall exactly, but I believe the label is somewhere around 25%-30% overstated.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I ate almonds almost daily when I first started using MFP, during the time when I lost the bulk of my weight. I had them in my desk as an alternative to vending machine candy bars for late afternoon snacks. I found a half-ounce or even a quarter-ounce of almonds would satisfy a craving for a snack, and a full ounce would take the edge off if I was legitimately hungry.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how almonds are considered satisfying to some people. For me, I could eat 1000 calories in almonds and still be hungry.
    I still eat them, mostly because i bought a huge bag at Costco and i hate wasting food, but as soon as i finish that bag i probably won't buy them again.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Not unless they are coated in cinnamon and sugar and baked until crunchy and delicious.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't feel satisfied eating an amount that fits well into my calories, so I don't eat them much. I agree they are tasty and healthy though!!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds almost everyday. I eat nuts everyday.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I (and my wife) usually toss off a handful at night. Satisfies a craving, or need for crunch, or something. Plain, roasted, no-salt, no frills.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I incorporate them in salads and casseroles. Occasional baked goods, too.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat them (and other nuts) all of the time in my various macro balancing concoctions. While almonds themselves are kinda meh to me, when added to a cottage cheese/wpc/fruit or greek yogurt/fruit/oats/kefir blend, they give a fantastic bit of crunchy texture to an otherwise squishy mix.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I love almonds and eat them every day. Usually if I'm hungry before I'm done preparing my actual meal I'll nibble on 2-3 of them and have small chunks in my breakfast seed cookie. At the end of the day it's a really small amount, but they make the diet 10x better
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have a few almonds and some hot tea for a midmorning snack. Keeps me from being ravenous by lunchtime.